Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

As a fan of the Blaze era, well most of it, I would be grateful if people who don’t enjoy it contributed their comments here. I’ve enjoyed many of the more critical posts above...especially the funny ones.

2. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

Live At Donnington:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Live At Donnington is a live album by the English heavy metal band Iron Maiden, documenting their second headlining appearance at the Monsters of Rock festival at Donington Park, a motorsport circuit located near Castle Donington. The concert took place on 22 August 1992 during the Fear of the Dark Tour in front of a crowd of almost 80,000. It was originally only released as a limited edition triple vinyl set, with a 2 disc CD release only in Brazil, Canada, Holland, Italy, South Korea, UK and Japan,[3] but became a regular part of the band's CD catalogue with the 1998 reissues. It was also issued on VHS under the title Donington Live 1992.
    Guitarist Adrian Smith joins the band on this version of "Running Free".[4]

The 1998 reissue of this album features different cover artwork. Instead of the original plain white cover with the band's logo in black, the reissue uses the original concert poster by Mark Wilkinson.[5] Also, the track list was spread out differently, to make room for a multimedia section on disc 2.

Track listingEdit
    All songs written by Steve Harris except where noted.

Original CD ReleaseEdit
    Disc One
    No.
    Title Writer(s) Original album Length
    1. "Be Quick or Be Dead" Bruce Dickinson, Janick Gers Fear of the Dark, 1992 3:53
    2. "The Number of the Beast" The Number of the Beast, 1982 4:54
    3. "Wrathchild" Killers, 1981 2:54
    4. "From Here to Eternity" Fear of the Dark, 1992 4:44
    5. "Can I Play with Madness" Adrian Smith, Dickinson, Harris Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, 1988 3:33
    6. "Wasting Love" Dickinson, Gers Fear of the Dark, 1992 5:37
    7. "Tailgunner" Harris, Dickinson No Prayer for the Dying, 1990 4:08
    8. "The Evil That Men Do" Smith, Dickinson, Harris Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, 1988 7:58
    9. "Afraid to Shoot Strangers" Fear of the Dark, 1992 6:52
    10. "Fear of the Dark" Fear of the Dark, 1992 7:11
    Disc Two
    No.
    1. "Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter" Dickinson No Prayer for the Dying, 1990 6:17
    2. "The Clairvoyant" Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, 1988 4:22
    3. "Heaven Can Wait" Somewhere in Time, 1986 7:20
    4. "Run to the Hills" The Number of the Beast, 1982 3:56
    5. "2 Minutes to Midnight" Smith, Dickinson Powerslave, 1984 5:38
    6. "Iron Maiden" Iron Maiden, 1980 8:15
    7. "Hallowed Be Thy Name" The Number of the Beast, 1982 7:28
    8. "The Trooper" Piece of Mind, 1983 3:53
    9. "Sanctuary" Iron Maiden Iron Maiden, 1980 5:18
    10. "Running Free" (feat. Adrian Smith) Harris, Paul Di'Anno Iron Maiden, 1980 7:54
    Total length: 112:05
    1998 ReissueEdit
    Disc One
    No.
    1. "Be Quick or Be Dead" Dickinson, Gers Fear of the Dark, 1992 3:53
    2. "The Number of the Beast" The Number of the Beast, 1982 4:54
    3. "Wrathchild" Killers, 1981 2:54
    4. "From Here to Eternity" Fear of the Dark, 1992 4:44
    5. "Can I Play with Madness" Smith, Dickinson, Harris Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, 1988 3:33
    6. "Wasting Love" Dickinson, Gers Fear of the Dark, 1992 5:37
    7. "Tailgunner" Harris, Dickinson No Prayer for the Dying, 1990 4:08
    8. "The Evil That Men Do" Smith, Dickinson, Harris Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, 1988 7:51
    9. "Afraid to Shoot Strangers" Fear of the Dark, 1992 6:59
    10. "Fear of the Dark" Fear of the Dark, 1992 7:08
    11. "Bring Your Daughter...to the Slaughter" Dickinson No Prayer for the Dying, 1990 6:12
    12. "The Clairvoyant" Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, 1988 4:22
    13. "Heaven Can Wait" Somewhere in Time, 1986 7:21
    14. "Run to the Hills" The Number of the Beast, 1982 4:16
    Disc Two
    No.
    1. "2 Minutes to Midnight" Smith, Dickinson Powerslave, 1984 5:43
    2. "Iron Maiden" Iron Maiden, 1980 8:15
    3. "Hallowed Be Thy Name" The Number of the Beast, 1982 7:28
    4. "The Trooper" Piece of Mind, 1983 3:53
    5. "Sanctuary" Iron Maiden Iron Maiden, 1980 5:18
    6. "Running Free" (feat. Adrian Smith) Harris, Di'Anno Iron Maiden, 1980 7:54
    Total length: 111:23
    VHSEdit
    1. "Be Quick or Be Dead"
    2. "The Number of the Beast"
    3. "Wrathchild"
    4. "From Here to Eternity"
    5. "Can I Play with Madness"
    6. "Wasting Love"
    7. "Tailgunner"
    8. "The Evil That Men Do"
    9. "Afraid to Shoot Strangers"
    10. "Fear of the Dark"
    11. "Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter"
    12. "The Clairvoyant"
    13. "Heaven Can Wait"
    14. "Run to the Hills"
    15. "2 Minutes to Midnight"
    16. "Iron Maiden"
    17. "Hallowed Be Thy Name"
    18. "The Trooper"
    19. "Sanctuary"
    20. "Running Free" (with Adrian Smith)
    CreditsEdit
    Production and performance credits are adapted from the album liner notes.[6]

Iron Maiden
    Additional musicians
    Production
    Overall Thoughts:

Overall, a decent if inessential live release. The band is okay here, and it was cool having Adrian pop up at the end, essentially foreshadowing the reunion era. It’s a step down compared to LAD or Maiden England, but decent enough.

SammyJoe, izombie73, CBackley and 3 others like this.
  3. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to the Blaze era. I am more unfamiliar with the music, and going one song at a time will be a little easier to digest then trying to get through the whole album at once.

I don't like the albums, but maybe I'll hear some interesting things listening one song at a time, rather than trying to get through the long albums while being overly judgmental about the vocals.

SammyJoe, izombie73, CBackley and 3 others like this.
  4. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

wil be interesting to see if there's any substanital differences in vocalization, riffing, soloing, 'Arry's bass flourishes, and Nicko's pounding drums between Live at Donnington and A Real Live/A Real Dead One.

Maybe Bruce was "phoning it in" more on one release than the other?

SammyJoe and Zoot Marimba like this.
  5. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Odd that the song that Adrian is on is not one he played on the studio version. :confused:

The Hud, SammyJoe, CBackley and 2 others like this.
  6. CBackley

Bruce’s voice sounds so strained on Live at Donnington. “Be Quick or be Dead” and “Wasted Love” seem especially weak to me. Ugh.

While there are some fine performances here and there, the overall album just lacks energy. I love all the Maiden live albums except for the ones recorded in 1992-93.

7. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I was always curious why the original release didn't have any real artwork on it. Seemed like a stupid decision. Also annoying that it was released in limited areas, but I do remember Best Buy carrying it in store, so it wasn't impossible to get.

I haven't listened to Donington in a long time, but I remember it being stronger than A Real Live Dead One over all. I was also happy that Wrathchild was included since it was absent from A Real Dead One.

I never picked up the VHS. By the time I got into Maiden, I was already on to DVDs, and I decided to wait for it to come out on DVD, and I am still waiting. :)

8. CBackley

I just listened to the entirety of Donnington again. I wouldn’t necessarily call any part of it terrible. It’s mostly just lacking. There’s no energy. Not enough evidence of what has always made Maiden special. I felt the most surprised or engaged when Bruce talks about pooping himself near the end.

9. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I have the original white cover cd. I remember liking it. Am i remembering this show correctly? Was it broadcast live on Radio One? Around this time or era the shows were live on radio, i certainly remember parts of Donington '90 were live, remember listening to Poison and possibly Whitesnake. I maybe completely wrong and totally off with the years but I seem to recall sitting and taping the show and then later buying the cd.

I didnt really notice anything bad at this point, the band still seemed together. Not clear exactly when Bruce handed his notice in.

Maidenpriest, SammyJoe and MusicMatt like this.
  10. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Live at Donington

(I wrote this a couple years ago, but it still stands)

The Good
    : Be Quick or Be Dead, The Number of the Beast, Wrathchild, The Evil That Men Do, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Fear of the Dark, Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter, Run to the Hills, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Iron Maiden, Hallowed Be Thy Name, The Trooper, Sanctuary, Running Free
    The Bad: From Here to Eternity, Can I Play With Madness, Wasting Love
    The Indifferent: Tailgunner, The Clairvoyant, Heaven Can Wait

Live at Donington is the 3rd (!!!) live album from the Fear of the Dark Tour and was recorded at Castle Donington, UK on August 22, 1992. I only have the original “fake bootleg” version of this so I have no idea how the 1998 remaster sounds, but I love the raw, under-produced sound of this album. Right from the beginning of Be Quick or Be Dead, the roar from the crowd signals that they know they’re in for a treat. The band sounds great on Be Quick and actually has some serious energy for the first three songs of the show. Even Wrathchild sounds so damn good. This is going to be a massive show and album, you just KNOW. Then…THEN…oh, it’s From Here to Eternity and jeez does the energy seriously drop on this one. Like, instantly, the band loses energy, the crowd loses energy and we all have to slog through this weak song. What a piece of s***. Then comes Can I Play With Madness and while the band’s energy goes up very slightly, it’s still a s*** song. Next is a truly awful version of Wasting Love which further kills the mood set by the first three songs. Dave Murray and Janick Gers are totally out of sync and it sounds bad. The band just doesn’t sound right on this at all for some reason – EVERYONE sounds really off from each other. With three bad songs in a row, who knows how the rest of the set could go.

Tailgunner brings the energy up slightly, but really it’s just a boring song live, at least in 1992. Thank goodness The Evil That Men Do is up next and blows the (figurative) roof off. Evil not only really wakes up the band, but the audience too. It absolutely slays and leads in perfectly to an excellent version of Afraid to Shoot Strangers. I love Bruce Dickinson’s introduction to Afraid. Sabbath sang about it in War Pigs, it was relevant in 1992 after the Gulf War and unfortunately it’s still the truth today. Maiden plays an impassioned version of Afraid to Shoot Strangers and it’s possibly their best written song from the 90’s. And what comes next? Oh yes, Fear of the f'n Dark and it’s another stormer. Hearing FOTD really makes me wish I was seeing Maiden live right now. There’s great energy on this and it’s followed up by a pretty rocking version of Bring Your Daughter that I really enjoyed. Both The Clairvoyant and Heaven Can Wait were let downs from the preceding four songs. They’re ok versions, but nothing amazing and aren’t close the quality of the good parts of the set.

The main set ends with a great 1-2 punch of Run to the Hills/2 Minutes to Midnight. Great versions of both and the end of 2 Minutes has some excellent bass playing from Steve Harris. Final song of the set has the band knocking the hell out of Iron Maiden. They’re absolutely on fire by this point and these last three are a fantastic end to the set. I think by this time we’ve forgotten about the crud from earlier in the night and then comes a surprise - 4 song encore! The encore is insanely good. Hallowed > Trooper > Sanctuary. All three, absolutely excellent! Then the band brings out Adrian Smith for a preview of what the band would look like 7 years later. The sound of the “3 Amigos” on Running Free is fantastic and the band plays this song better than nearly every version I’ve ever heard. What a phenomenal encore.

It’s really amazing to me how good the good parts of this show/album are. Especially those last 7 songs including the encore…total facemelt. Maiden sounds so damn good here. It’s too bad about the “bad” and “indifferent” songs, but for the most part Live at Donington is a great live album. It’s a great way to say a temporary good-bye to Bruce while he did his solo thing for a few years.

11. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

Live At Donington

I remember seeing the black and white cover in a cd store once and I thought it was a bootleg at the time. Since I was not a fan club member had no idea that it was an official release. I hate the 1998 releases because of the sound but I'm thankful also because they gave us this live release with a great cover. Speaking of sound, Donington doesn't have the best, it's pretty muddy and raw. Something that unfortunately will rear its ugly head more than a few times in the future. We all know the story of Bruce beginning to half-ass some of his performances on this tour but not the case here. I feel Bruce does a great job. Like Steve said, Bruce would give it his all at the big shows in the big cities. Strong setlist. I like having Number of the Beast early in the set. It makes the encores less predictable. From Here to Eternity is actually likable here. Bruce has lots of good interactions with the crowd throughout the show. Fear of the Dark is strong on here, with very little crowd participation for a change. Very awkward guitar into from Janick on The Clairvoyant. I always like the extended Sanctuary middle bit and Janick's delaying the final moments of the song with the guitar wankery. Running Free is a treat because of Adrian showing up to play with the band and it was instrumental with planting the seed in his mind that playing with the band again could be fun. I prefer this album to A Real Live Dead One because its all from the same show. 3/5

The vhs was an utter disappointment when I first bought it and watched it. It kept shifting from black and white to color and back again. Very annoying.

12. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

When I saw Maiden on this tour it was a wonderful surprise to get NOB 2nd in the set. Very unexpected. Wish they'd take chances like that again.

13. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

It was really disappointment on the release especially thinking how good the past live-videos had been.
    And to further disappointment, not all the footage was even filmed at Donington as some of the outdoor and audience shots were taken from extra locations.
    It's not entirely weird thing to do and use on live-videos, as it's common practice to do tricks or use some other footage for some reason but on this particular concert it was so easy to spot.
    Anyways, Im gonna write my little review and couple memories of this release here soon.

14. Live At Donnington.
    Not for me....only heard it twice, and it bored me rigid.
    With the exception of the early D'ianno stuff, I don't really enjoy their.... Numerous, live albums.
    2/5

15. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

It was being broadcasted as it was also heard in Finland from the radio back then, I taped it and still have the tapes. It was great to have little nice show on tape and by that time it was still unreleased (before that white-covered official release came later).

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  16. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

"Live At Donington", I remember that this concert was coming up and it was being talked a lot and hyped in magazines back then. It was exciting times for being fan.
    The Donington show was broadcast live on radio, even here in Finland, so of course I taped it and it was so exciting listening to Maiden deliver one fine performance and huge concert.
    I still have the cassettes in my collection, I think I put some FOTD-tour or it might actually have been some flyer etc of the Donington-show and made a cover of it for the cassettes.
    Then I wrote there, something like "new live show, never before released" with the tracklist, date and venue. Haha, seems little thing now but it was great to possess good live-recording.
    It was nice little addition to my collection little by little growing collection, which would be getting lots of additions in the coming years.
    I remember then later next year when the live-album was officially released at alast, it surely had the little looks of bootleg with it, of course I bought that one.
    I seem to recall (from somewhere?) that the white-bootleg feeling of the album without any additional booklet was designed or determined by Harris. Not sure if I can find that interview etc bit anywhere.
    Actually one of my friends bought it first and we listened to the live-album. I think I like this one a lot still, sure it doesn't maybe have the goods or great production that have been featured on some of the other live-albums.
    I think I blasted this one and the other 2 live-albums from this tour a lot in my car back in the day, the energy really made my trips go faster (but I didn't do any speeding, as I still obeyd the speed limits).

I think what's actually great about this recording, is the energy and the raw feeling present there on album. They managed to maintain that bootleg-feeling, as no overdubs or polishing was done.
    This whole unpolishedness brings and represents truly more honest document of that show, how it happened, and at it's best just to hear the fun that their having there on stage.
    Ever since the reunion I've marked how remarkable performances, telepathic skills of playing as group and also outstanding groove they still have. There is no other like Iron Maiden and there won't be.
    While "Live At Donington" doesn't quite guarantee the feeling of the great live-album, it's actually great live-document, showcasing that particular event and showing the band at one of their most energetic shows.
    With this release and other 2 live-albums from the same tour (A Real Live One and A Real Dead One) we were saying goodbyes to our favorite Air Raid Siren, the jack of all trades, Mr. Bruce Dickinson.
    But luckily it wasn't meant to last forever and destiny involved, Bruce and Adrian would be rejoining the band in 1999 making Iron Maiden the bigger than ever and it's been so great ride all the way since.
    4/5

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  17. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Yep, I think that might have been really one thing that got him back into thinking about playing with Maiden.

Zoot Marimba, MusicMatt and The Hud like this.
  18. MusicMatt

Not only Maiden but playing in general. A line about Adrian in Run To The Hills. "It was only after getting up on stage with Maiden at the second Castle Donington show in 1992, that Adrian began to think seriously about playing again..."

19. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Aah, yes I got that book but didn't remember now. Doh.
    Do you remember any other interviews or mentions of Adrian's appereance? Just really interested about this thing.
    There must have been someone be it Adrian or some other that commented this in some interview, but to be honest, just can't recall for this moment.

20. MusicMatt

I can't think of any off the top of my head. Its midnight here and I gotta hit the bed. I'll look around for some more stuff in the morning.

Zoot Marimba and SammyJoe like this.
  21. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

That's cool, I will also add anything worthwhile that I can find. Hehe, if I remember and can find those Donington-cassettes I might post a pic here.
    I try to participate and post interesting stuff whenever it suits the theme, tour, album, song talked about here.

Now just blasting "Live At Donington" here at work:righton:

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  22. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Just as Im listening here to this show again, I have to give some songs few notes, apologies in advance but have to do some commenting on couple songs.

I agree what @Cheevyjames said here earlier:
    "Evil That Men Do" does indeed blow the damn (figurative) roof off, just so absolutely wonderful, energetic performance which really awakes the audience which might have started to slept little by little.
    This might be among the finest Evil That Men Do-performances ever, just might be so.
    And then it only carries on the greatness as they do so impressive and passionate performance of "Afraid To Shoot Strangers" led by good introduction from Bruce.
    One of the finest songs from the 90's and Im glad that it has found way it's back to setlists (for the leg 2012-13 of "Maiden England World Tour").
    Next, "Fear Of The Dark" gets awesome energetic and passionate performance, but this song has always been a treat as it has that strong vibe and connection to feelings with it's crowd participation.
    This song is always so special, especially then when you're there in the audience.
    To be continued..

23. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I think there's some weird edit or mistake on the 1998 remastered edition of "Live At Donington",
    Right at the end of the song "Run To The Hills", listen carefully, it does sound like crowd-noise and Bruce etc talk was taken at the end of "Running Free" on the album "Live After Death".
    As Im out at work at the moment, I can't verify and check how the original release-version or the broacast-version sound but on the 1998 edition it's weird.
    Im more used to listening the original-release and so maybe that's why I never actually noticed it too carefully there on the remaster.

First edition had running time:
    Run To The Hills (3:56)

1998 Remaster:
    Run To The Hills (4:16)

The error can be heard at around the mark 3:54 on the 1998 edition.

24. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

yes it was Broadcast live as it happened on the Friday Rock Show or its equivalent at that time, I still have the original recording somewhere on cassette I had to get someone record it for me because I was working and could not get time off work, the band messed up 'The Evil That Men Do' Bruce started singing the verse in the wrong part I think i have not heard it for years, but this was fixed for the Cd version not sure how, they must of had to go in the studio to redo a part of the song etc :) (edit: found the original broadcast listen to it messed up at 29:20ish)

Almost Simon and Zoot Marimba like this.
  25. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Aha, ok. Not sure that I even remembered Bruce messing up the verses. Must have missed it then..
    But that has happened on some other gigs aswell, it must be due to the energy, excitement and rush going there on stage.
    Sometimes those little things and mistakes are listed or mentioned on the sites where tours and shows are discussed.

For example:
    Before I derail this thread onto something else, let me tell you about the first show from 2009 (Belgrade,Serbia):
    -Adrian starts 2 Minutes To Midnight instead of Wrathchild, the band carries on.
    -Nicko randomly counts The Trooper in (21:10). Band reactions are hillarious. Then he proceeds to mess up Phantom Of The Opera at 22:20.
    -And my favourite, Adrian starts playing Wasted Years instead of Trooper. Bruce tells him to get his eyes ****ing checked (28:45).
    -after Hallowed Be Thy Name, Bruce thinks it's the end of the show. He says goodnight, see you later, while the band just stands there like, WTF is he doing?
    After he gave so much **** to Nicko and Adrian during the show, he ****ed up in the end too.
    Hallowed Be Thy Name was the last song of the set, on the previous years leg of the tour, that's why Bruce must have thought that it was the last song of the evening.