Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

IMHO, you can't compare Iron Maiden with Metallica. Iron Maiden never cared for mainstrem success, and they don't need to. I think their management is very aware of this, and it's also easy to notice per example on their videos or the overall medial promotion when there's a new output. Maiden's music is a niche of it's own, and it doesn't matter if a song is over or under a 5 minute-mark. Also, it was clear from the beginning that they didn't sell themselves marketing-wise, but Eddie. Look at Metallica-albums, posters or T-shirts, and you see quite often the band. Not so with Iron Maiden. Of course, every now and then you see a human face, but mostly, it's all Eddie.
    Metallica really went for the big bucks in the nineties, changed their sound radically and almost sold-out. I remember well when the Black Album came out and everybody was "this ain't Metallica, this is a Bob Rock-album!"
    Maiden always was just Maiden, for the better or worse, and Maiden's music just isn't designed for the mainstream. They made a few attempts ("Flight Of Icarus" or "Can I Play With Madness"), but as these didn't work out and even were met with discordance within the band, they -quite successfully, I think- settled for another path.
    I think you could compare Metallica much better with Judas Priest, as Priest's music is far more accessible. I had long talks with my friends, and we all agreed that Maiden isn't really metal but their own thing, Priest defines much more what is seen as metal music.
    So, if Maiden make more Money than Metallica or the other way round, I think it's not comparable. It's two different markets. On top, I'm really sure that none of both would like to swap with the other, or is unsatisfied with how their carreer processes.

2. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

Hey, let’s catch up with Adrian.
    Psycho Motel, State Of Mind:

Lineup
    • Hans-Olav Solli: lead vocals
    • Adrian Smith: guitars, backing vocals
    • Gary Leideman: bass
    • Mike Sturgis: drums
    • Additional Personnel:
      • Cynthia Fleming: violin (4)
      • Vincent Gerrin: cello (3-4)
    Tracklist
    1. Sins Of Your Father: Some good guitar work, but otherwise this song is kind of so so.
    2. Worlds On Fire: Good Song, has some meat to it. Also, is it me or does that singer sound like Vince Neil?
    3. Psycho Motel: Really Good Song, solid melody and music, singer is in good voice, good stuff.
    4. Western Shore: Great softer song, nice use of the strings, I really like it.
    5. Rage: Pretty good tune, I like the slide solo from Adrian, not too bad.
    6. Killing Time: Fitting title, as this song is pretty much killing time.
    7. Time Is A Hunter: Great solo. Otherwise, eh.
    8. Money To Burn: I’m not feeling this.
    9. City of Light: Eh.
    10. Excuse Me: Bleh.
    11. Last Goodbye: Decent Song, better than a lot of what made the album (this is the first of two Japanese bonus tracks).
    12. Can’t Wait: Well it rocks out. But the song is just kind of there.
    Overall, it’s not horrible, Adrian doesn’t embarrass himself; however, the album isn’t all that memorable either, it is listenable, but doesn’t warrant repeat listening.

3. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

These end-of-decade wrap-ups are great, some of the most interesting and educational parts of this thread.

Psycho Motel - State Of Mind
    I don't ever remember hearing about this group before. The Vince Neil reference above got my interest. I'm not hearing that, but the guy does have a pretty good voice. I listened to the song Psycho Motel first, then Western Shore, and thought them brilliant! The song Psycho Motel is like Aerosmith jamming Come Together with Adrian Smith laying down some groovy blues riffs. Western Shore is just a lovely, beautiful song. The electric part kicks in unexpectedly and works to a perfection. Unfortunately the other songs didn't live up to those two. Overall the album is too much of a downer. Would have made an amazing single though.

izombie73 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  4. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

It's the name and the logo.

5. 16s

16s Forum Resident

For any of you fine people that ordered the latest LP reissue of Accident of Birth: please could you tell me if Disc2 was slightly warped. I have got to copies from Amazon and in both Disc2 is warped.
    thx

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  6. el supernautico

...which they bought from a magazine.

7. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

To put it bluntly, they were better than everyone else in that field - often by light years - and worked their asses off to get where they got to... and don't underestimate the utter fearlessness they exhibited in their musical progression; as raw and rough as Kill 'Em All is, you can still hear traces of the musical grasp and innovation in both composition and arrangement that they built on with subsequent albums to an extraordinary degree.

They also weren't afraid to shed the rather limiting metal tropes in order to move upwards to a much wider audience... none of the other bands either would have dared hire someone like Bob Rock or made such a mainstream album that didn't compromise their ideals in the process (Celtic Frost's infamous Cold Lake album is a prime example of how NOT to do it!)... and they succeeded beyond their wildest imagination in the process, the gamblers gambled and came up aces!

'Tallica were better, smarter, more talented, and more fearless than everyone else; they outsmarted, outgunned, and outran their closest rivals ... then they got rich, lazy, indulgent (after the underrated-albeit-bloated Load/ReLoad duology), and didn't do anything worth a damn musically for the next two decades.

C'est la vie.

Now back to all things Maiden... a little Skunkworks, anyone?

8. I think you are right on many things... but luck also played a part.
    As you pointed out tho.....for many they have released nothing of any great substance for at least 20 years... but they are still the biggest Rock band out there.

Not that 'that' means anything to me.

The Hermit likes this.
  9. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Is this a Maiden thread or a Metallica thread?

I vote we get back on topic and stop ruining what @Musicman1998 has created here.

10. el supernautico

Well, to a mainstream top 40 audience, that bandname really speaks to them. It is, IMHO, virtually the ultimate bandname in metal - and I count myself only as an occasional fan. What I want to get through is, I really think that the name METALLICA alone gave them more than just a little attention and money. It stucks, it fits, and still manages to steer around being cliché.
    ...And of course everything THE HERMIT said. It's easy to say Metallica are no good, but indeed they made some groundbreaking albums. I'd hardly consider myself a thrash metal fan, but Metallica's first three albums are definitely deserved Metal classics.

And now please some Skunkworks, I really want to get into Brave New World before 2020! ;)
    ...yes, I know, I'm guilty, too!:hide:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Zoot Marimba, The Hermit and CBackley like this.
  11. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I received the Soloworks box set the other day. My turntable is STILL at the repair shop (WTF) so I can’t tell 100% if there’s any warping, but I eyeballed the records and none of mine appeared warped.

Can you order a UK or EU pressing from Amazon UK? This is what I did to finally get a copy of SSoaSS that wasn’t off-center.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  12. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

It's because, thanks to the Black Album, 'Tallica are now a 'brand' as much as they are a band; they're in that very small pantheon of working rock groups - like The Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, and yes, even Maiden! - that actually don't need to release anything to sell out arenas on a new tour... the name sells itself.

No-one's ruining anything, there's no limit on pages for this thread.

That being said, I wholeheartedly agree... less of the Met', more of the Maiden.

Carry on brothers...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  13. CBackley

I’m pressed for time today so I can’t properly introduce Skunkworks. Especially given the many extras on the expanded edition. @Musicman1998 , did you find someone to do the Skunkworks intro? Or should we just bust right in and start discussing it?

Zoot Marimba and ian christopher like this.
  14. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

This is stupid guys. Drop this cr*p.
    Start another thread please

BurtThomasWard and Zoot Marimba like this.
  15. mark winstanley

scottp and Zoot Marimba like this.
  16. mark winstanley

Now @Musicman1998 , please continue your awesome thread.
    And thanks for doing it!

Zoot Marimba and CBackley like this.
  17. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Had to take a few days off to deal with family health stuff. Time to catch up!

Praying Mantis - Predator in Disguise

Holy cow this is bad! I can't even get past the 2nd song. Terrible. I'm shocked anyone would buy this crap in 1991.

Praying Mantis - Cry for the New World

What is wrong with these guys? You're not making soundtracks for 1982 Stallone movies, please stop. As with Predator in Disguise, I just skipped around after trying to get through a song or two. Terrible.

18. CBackley

Are we going to cover all of Blaze’s albums in the 2000s? Or Wolfsbane’s 90’s output? I don’t think the thread covered Wolfsbane’s first album at the end of the 80s, but maybe I missed it.

ian christopher likes this.
  19. mark winstanley

Women in Uniform was a cover version of the Aussie band Skyhooks. Skyhooks certainly weren't metal, but they were certainly interesting

Zoot Marimba and ian christopher like this.
  20. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

I'll get to Skunkworks shortly @CBackley

izombie73, Zoot Marimba and CBackley like this.
  21. CBackley

Crap. I just wrote up a brief comment about all 13 songs during lunch. Hahaha.

izombie73, MusicMatt and Zoot Marimba like this.
  22. CBackley

Before we get into Skunkworks, I have a question about Balls to Picasso. I’ve read there were two aborted attempts at recording an album prior to Bruce’s sessions with Roy Z. How much, if any, of the material from those aborted sessions has been released?

izombie73 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  23. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I don't think anything was officially released. Not sure about unofficial releases.

izombie73, Zoot Marimba and CBackley like this.
  24. el supernautico

Are you sure with that? That's something I never heard of, maybe you confuse it with "Alive In Studio A"?
    That is a 2-CD set with songs from "Balls To Picasso" and "Tattooed Millionaire", the first one in "Studio A" and the second one at the "Marquee".
    Another one I bought day one, but I maybe heard it not more than once since 1995... And still I'm not ready to give it another try.:shh:

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  25. scottp

scottp Forum Resident

I receive Accident of Birth Monday from Amazon and it plays fine. No warping. Sound is fantastic. I believe all of these are EU pressings - one source but not 100% sure.

16s, CBackley and Zoot Marimba like this.