Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

I am sorry that I have been MIA (...but has anyone really noticed!). BtP and Tattooed Millionaire did next to nothing for me (other than Tears of a Dragon, which to me equals and even surpasses many a Maiden epic and made it clear what Bruce could do if he tried to stop showing off his diversity). Skunkworks has not been heard yet but I am heading that way after reading enough positive reviews here.

...but AoB is such HUGE step forward. I can’t improve on what others have written here, so I’ll just say that, other than Welcome to the Pit, I think that every song is top notch. Of special note is Acquarius, and in particular, the part where he starts the “gotta move” section. That blows me away every time! It’s gratifying to see I am not alone in being mind blown by that song, and especially that part, each time I hear it. Since hearing it for the first time, I have never had anyone to discuss it, or this album, with, so i was wondering if I was alone in enjoying its brilliance. Now I know that I am not!

I won’t do a song by song, they are all pretty great and everyone else has already elaborated so well that I won’t bore you all, but suffice to say that to me this does what Maiden has still forgotten how to do: blend the short, fast rockers, with some mellower songs for a change of pace, and add in ONLY just enough epics to have them be true epics. Darkside of Acquarius and Omega stand out as epics on this release because they stand alone as the longer songs and because they actually deserve to be longer. Current Maiden makes every song an epic and the “epicness” becomes lost because (I) they are not all really epics, just songs stretched out beyond the quality of the ideas contained within them (ii) you can’t tell they are epics because there are too few short fast song to make the epics stand out as such. I love the reunion stuff, but they just don’t seem to know how to edit anymore. Clearly Bruce (and probably H as well, although there is no way to know how much input he had in this and CW) remembers about pacing and creating a song cycle that flows as one piece, even if Harris hasn’t. I am not trying to get ahead of the thread, just using that as a comparative point.

Overall, if this had come out under the maiden name, it would be a true return to form. Would it be better with Dave Murray rather than Roy Z and with Harris and Nicko? Blasphemy I know, but I am just not sure. All I can say is that I think this is great stuff!

2. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

The Chemical Wedding is, in my opinion, one of the very best metal albums of the '90s.

markelis, izombie73, serj and 3 others like this.
  3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

And now the Wolfsbane EP....
    All Hell's Breaking Loose Down at Little Kathy Wilson's Place:

Tracklist
    1. Steel: Good riffage and rhythm, Blaze is kind of so-so vocally. Also not a big fan of the gang vocals. Still, it has a decent flow, and it's a rocking tune. Not too bad a way to open an EP.
    2. Paint the Town Red: Good more catchy tune, has a good structure, Blaze actually sounds semi decent here. Overall, a pretty good, catchy tune, and the best song I've heard from this band so far.
    3. Loco: Decent rhythm, don't like that weird guitar lick in front of it. Some decent guitar and bass work in places, Blaze is yet again the weak link, delivering fairly monotone, colorless vocals, and that chorus is weaksauce.
    4. Hey Babe: Hey, that's some nice guitar playing that opens the track, and Blaze actually sounds pretty decent. The song is pretty trite lyrically, but this is definitely better than them trying to be metal, because frankly, they suck at being metal. Not too great a song, but better than at least two of the last three songs.
    5. Totally Nude: Oh man, this is a terrible song, especially because of Blaze. Whoever described these guys as hair metal played by ugly dudes... yeah, pretty much.
    6. Kathy Wilson: Seems to be a jokey song, and it's a pretty annoying one at that, reminds me of one of the jokey B-Sides, one of the sh*ttier ones at that.
    This EP sucks.

4. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

Wolfsbane, Paint the Town Red

This is my first time hearing this and it'll be my last. If this is the best song on the EP, then well...yeah. I did sample "Steel" and I think that one was better. I get a big Van Halen vibe from Wolfsbane.

izombie73 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  5. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

It’s funny that several people have made Van Halen/David Lee Roth comparisons to Blaze in Wolfsbane. I had never heard any Wolfsbane until a few weeks ago. Although I love their first album (a lot), I got a really strong DLT vibe from Blaze at times, which I was not expecting at all.

Also, I hate Van Halen in all its forms. I’ve literally had nightmares before in which I became a huge VH fan.

izombie73, Zoot Marimba and MusicMatt like this.
  6. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Now, this is funny :biglaugh:

@Musicman1998 : that ep is slightly better than the debut album. I mean, what the hell is up with the production? This was back when Rick Rubin actually knew how to get a great, dry sound out of rock bands.

More importantly, though, it is still laughably trite, lame, crap, shi-ite, turgid, dumb, moronic, lower than average, ugly, unoriginal, stupid, crappy, contrived, fake, stupid, etc etc etc etc etc x 34. A low rent Van Halen without the fun parts and the vibe but including a vocalist that is so bad that you actually end up loving the vocal mannerisms of DLT (and I'm talking about the 2015 version of Cubic Zirconia Dave now)? AC/DC without any of the drive and energy but played by even ugly guys with worse hair? If fact, I almost feel bad comparing this MÅ***Ø**Æ in any way to two of my all-time favorite bands, even on a pure superficial level they are so far off that mark that I almost feel like the world would be... Eh, no, I'm not gonna write what I actually feel after listening to this horrid racket here on a public forum.

Why, why, whyyyyyyyyyyyy did Steve think it was a good idea to hire this guy? Let's just be honest for once, shall we? BB couldn't sing his way out of a wet paper bag that was open if his life depended on it.

In fact, it is so bad that the video I'm posting under here suddenly seems like a stroke of genius. And do I think that one is appaling almost beyond belief, make no mistake about that.But at least it sounds like at least there were someone involved at every level of making this turd who actually knew how to make a track (rather than a song) and which polish to apply. Compared to Wolfslame, this is the best song ever. By anyone.

7. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

What can I say about this album? It's a stone-cold classic, a virtual metal masterpiece, easily one of the best heavy metal albums of the 1990's if not ever, and very comfortably better, more interesting, and more focused than anything Maiden have recorded post-1988. It's modern but has a rustic, baroque, bucolic feel to it, an alchemical dark mysticism about it that was a revelation in 1998 and has aged like a fine wine today... it hasn't dated a day, in my opinion, and still sounds tremendous from beginning to end. I respectfully disagree that it's a front-loaded album, I personally think it flows wonderfully from beginning to end with no real weak links anywhere throughout it's 57-minute running time, and never outstays it's welcome for one second... in fact, I almost wish it had two more tracks of equal stature on it, I love the idea of it having twelve tracks to mirror the above mentioned lyrics in 'The Tower' ("12 commandments... 12 divisions... 12 pagans who mapped the sky") as everything in the album is interconnected in a singularly thematic sense, although Bruce has denied it's a full-fledged concept album, which it's not, there's no central story... basically I don't want the album to end when it does.

I'm not too keen on the final mastering though; it's a little compressed, a little loud and maxed... or is that just me? How does the vinyl sound?

Other than that, this thing rocks like a MF'er and is easily the crowning glory to Bruce's 1990's solo catalog... as I've said here previously, I only wish he had made just one more album with this line-up prior to rejoining the safer but highly lucrative confines of Iron Maiden Inc... they were on such a creative roll at this time that I can't help but wonder what their next step might have been... and just how awesome it would have been (compared to the largely rote Brave New World)!

Farewell 1990's Bruce solo run... it was a short but helluva great run overall... and you certainly ended it on a bang, saving the best 'til last, and going back to IM with your head held high and dignity intact.

:tiphat:... we salute you, good sir.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Stormrider77, 16s, izombie73 and 5 others like this.
  8. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

Yes, quite strange move after the really-bad-but-Riggs-at-least AoB artwork and the superb artwork for CW.
    That cover with the fish looks dreadful "look, I do alternative rock!"-like. That cover alone stopped me from bying it, thinking it was an output from mid-90ties shows.
    It's so bad, I didn't even look what songs were in!!!o_O
    Today, I really like the album content-wise.

9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Dickinson's best solo album by a street. This is a focused, compelling album. It is well written, produced and executed.

10. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

No it doesn't it is great, Kathy Wilson is class !!

Zoot Marimba and Almost Simon like this.
  11. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I quite liked Kathy Wilson, to be fair its the only Wolfsbane song I knew when Blaze was announced as Maiden vocalist. I guess because of that I expected a similar energy on the Maiden songs but he never really fit plus that first album being so dark. And so on and so forth with my views of Blaze already expressed. But Kathy Wilson is fun. Knowing Blaze from the Maiden albums has pretty much put me off digging deeper into Wolfsbane.

12. Almost Simon

All the talk and praise of Bruce solo has finally gotten me ordering the best of. I'll get the post Picasso albums eventually.

13. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Hopefully you bought the 2 CD version.

14. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Accident of Birth an Chemical Wedding, wow what a one-two punch. Metal at it's best!

15. Almost Simon

Oooooooooh yes, 2cd on its way.

16. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

some cleanup duty...

Di'Anno/Stratton - The Original Iron Men 2

pure Stallone Pop, but not near as good. These songs are awful, why make a volume 2 of this turd?

Di'Anno - The Worlds First Iron Man

I actually enjoy his version of Living in America. It's so over the top. I would be fine if he did stuff like this more often. Play That Funky Music isn't very good. After the covers it seems to settle in to a more pop rock vein, like his crap with Stratton. I admit that the production and songs here are better than those two albums with Dennis, but it really doesn't matter. I don't ever want to hear this again. The live versions of the Maiden tracks are useless. Besides his constant references to "iron" and "maiden" on his album titles, it's lame that he has to keep releasing live versions of these songs.

Wolfsbane - Live Fast, Die Fast

Ugh, he's so unlistenable. This album isn't good, but his voice makes it worse. The over the top guitar playing doesn't make the songs enjoyable. The whole thing is just amateurish.

Wolfsbane - All Hell's Breaking Loose...

The band sounds tighter here on this EP, but the problems on the first are still here - Blaze has a horrible voice...really painful most of the time; the guitarist can play, but he has no subtlety or an idea of how to construct a guitar solo; finally, none of these songs are very good. Like @TheGreatSouthernBrainfart said, glam metal played by ugly dudes. I have to give props to @BurtThomasWard for saying what he said about Blaze's voice. He's simply a bad singer and Steve was smoking crack when he thought Blaze would be a good fit for the vocal spot.

17. Cheevyjames

Thanks for posting this! This gives a great example of what all 3 dudes contribute guitar-wise. Except for solos, all 3 play simpler parts that all contribute to the whole. I liked listening to this and it was cool to just hear Adrian's parts. I'm always aware of it, but listening to this really reinforced how Steve just uses the same patterns over and over. There were a few times where I thought, "what song is this again?".

18. TheGreatSouthernBrainfart

TheGreatSouthernBrainfart Forum Resident

I still have a rough time when people dog on Tattooed Millionaire and Balls to Picasso. What I loved so much about those albums is that they both reflected two sides of Bruce and where he was at in his life. With TM, while there is a good bit of filler on the album, this was his Bon Scott album. I loved that Bruce just stripped it bare all the way down to his early influences and made pretty much the best cock rock album ever. Besides, "Son of a Gun" is hands down one of the greatest songs ever written and how can you not love the fact that the song TM is basically him dogging Nikki Sixx for ****ing his ex wife?

As for BTP, that album was brilliant. It was dark, and it just reflected the pent up frustration and artistic confinement of Bruce. He just let it all out. His anger towards the industry, his sadness yet relief of being free from the artistic shackles of Iron Maiden, and even addressing more personal aspects of his own life. This was Bruce's chance to hold the pen and write from exactly where he was at that moment. While I LOVE his other albums (Tyranny of Souls being my fave), these first two, in my opinion, are VERY important albums and albums that never seem to get the cred that they deserve.

izombie73, serj, CBackley and 3 others like this.
  19. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

The Chemical Wedding
    THIS is it. This is how a modernized, top-of-their-game Maiden would /could/should sound.
    I love "King In Crimson", I think it's my favourite song by Bruce Dickinson at all. "The Tower" is another personal highlight, and then we get "Darkside Of Aquarius"'s counterpart, "Book Of Thel".
    "Jerusalem" is top notch as is "Trumpets Of Jericho". Apart from the quite generic riff during the verses, the rest of the song is absolutely awesome.

This album is a wish come true since "Seventh Son O A Seventh Son". Here is the continued mystic, dark approach that was let down in favour of NPFTD.
    On plus, Bruce is not forced to sing uncomfortable lines or pitches - he's left to shine in his brightest light.
    Thank you for that masterpiece of metal art! (we need a kneeling smiley!!!)

20. Cheevyjames

I love that you carry the flag so enthusiastically for Balls to Picasso. My issue is really with the production, because the songs themselves sound great when played live. You have great insight to this music, hope you stick around more!

izombie73, CBackley and Zoot Marimba like this.
  21. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I can listen to and enjoy Wolfsbane not so much Blaze Maiden, Manhunt is a great song as is

Killing Machine another personal favourite although there is more good stuff like Money To Burn, Paint The Town Red, Dead At Last etc

Wolfsbane - Killing Machine (Studio)

Almost Simon and Zoot Marimba like this.
  22. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

I thought about singing it the same damn way! LOL

BurtThomasWard and Zoot Marimba like this.
  23. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Well, the crazies have taken over the asylum ;)

It just seemed too obvious not to do it, right? And I blame Blaze.

24. gilpdawg

gilpdawg Forum Resident

Accident of Birth-not going to go full on song by song here, but I have to mention how much I love this record. Freak kicks it off great. Darkside of Aquarius is great, Taking the Queen is great (that bridge is oh so tasty) and this is the second best “Maiden” album of the decade. Second because first is......

The Chemical Wedding-I can’t add much to this that hasn’t already been said. This is an amazing record. Book of Thel is my favorite Bruce song, ever, and if it said Iron Maiden on it it would be top 5 in their catalog. It’s so great. The Tower and King in Crimson are also favorites. I’m serious guys, if you haven’t heard this record there’s a hole in your metal soul that needs filled. Essential. A desert island disc.

25. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Favorite track on CW: Trumpets of Jericho. I love that riff. Bruce’s vocals are great. And the song is HEAVY as hell. Heavier than Maiden ever got. So good, and without crossing over into doom and gloom heavy.

Zoot Marimba likes this.