Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

Oh, don't get me wrong! I highly appreciate your precious input and am far from saying it's posted wrongly here!:righton:
    I'd also say that here, one should find the most dedicated/interested Maiden fans (I mean, why should people read themselves through 300+ pages if not for that reason!) - but still, it won't stop people from creating their own threads regarding Maiden, and -to be picky- this is a song-by-song thread, not an "ultimate all-encompassing" thread (something we have in the SHF).;)

Edit: Thinking about, maybe the title of the thread could be changed into something that hints to its grown aspiration?

slipkid and SammyJoe like this.
  2. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

And not only have your efforts been helpful, but your posts have contributed to move the story along to bridge the gap from the previous album. :goodie:

Now that we've got the ultimate news (album incoming!), it makes sense to keep the new album chat on the other thread in the meantime while we wait for the right time to do the track-by-track analysis/geekout here come September. (And after that we'll get back to the wait for news of the tour) :D

3. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Yep, I know what you mean. Also, posting to couple different threads is good thing, because using only one to tell any news might not get "heard" by allt the fans or people who might be even little interested in Iron Maiden here.
    When the song by song was still running (while we discussed each release) it was for fun me and some other people to any worthwhile anniversary or post on some specific date, then it had gone round the year, I decided only to repost some later if felt like really needed to mention them.
    Like for example, the self-titled debut album had last year it's 40th anniversary date, so I had to repost that again with the updated year and date. This has been great thread, I've even sometimes gone back to browse these comments and relive those little reviews that I and all of you wrote here.

4. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

@SammyJoe @el supernautico @Anthrax I'm all for posting info about new releases, but maybe just a blurb and a link to the dedicated thread. I think any "anniversary" posts are cool here because we're talking about music we've already covered. Definitely something like upcoming tour talk should be its own thread. I also think people who don't view this thread might see on the main page "Iron Maiden US tour 2022" and click on that thread rather than thinking "oh, they're still talking about Powerslave again on the Song by Song thread".

The great thing is, this thread will never die because you know that Steve will continue to release new live albums!

slipkid and SammyJoe like this.
  5. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Yep, mention link (to the more dedicated thread) or little blurb is fine here.
    And then when the band ain't active no more, there migth be some vault releases and other interesting stuff, there must be a tons of live material from all the tours as Steve likes to record everything (can't remember when he started though).

slipkid and Cheevyjames like this.
  6. Pangolino

Pangolino Forum Resident

I had a Japanese copy of "Live! + One" with a lyric sheet done in the typical phonetic style. That line came out "I spent all my money on gambling, on guys, and on wine."

Other notable lyrics in "Sanctuary" - "All the women just care for the warhorse of steel". In "Phantom of the Opera" - "You stand there every Wednesday, you wait for the curtain to fall".

Cheevyjames, Gus Tomato and slipkid like this.
  7. Pangolino

Pangolino Forum Resident

I don't get why the vocal starts where it does rhythmically - it sounds like a first take where Mr. Dickinson is just figuring out how to come in, where the one is, etc. AND THAT'S THE TAKE THEY USE ON THE ALBUM. It bugs the hell out of me. For a band playing this kind of music, the level of sloppiness in these albums is a bit mind-boggling. I know there are other post-reunion songs where he lags behind for a line or two, and I'm guessing it's intentional, but good God does this band ever sound like they need a producer.

moofassa_ca likes this.
  8. Cheevyjames

Yeah, good point. While I like most of the songs from the past 21 years, it shows how much they don't rehearse and really nail these songs.

9. Ted Sallis

Ted Sallis Music Collector Extraordinaire

I first got into IM in 1982. I saw them live in 1983, '84 and '87. Their 1st 4 albums are their best, along with Live After Death IMO. My favourite Maiden album is The Number of the Beast, and I consider Bruce to be their best singer, with Paul D. not far behind. I have The History of Iron Maiden Part 1 and Part 2 DVDs and I consider both releases to be very good, with very thorough accounting of the Group's history.

Ted

Gus Tomato likes this.
  10. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

Yeah, me too am flabberghasted by the way Iron Maiden delivers their records...

I understand they're rich enough to make it just the way they want to and enjoy this.
    I even could imagine that, in case of thinking about working with a... let's say: visionary/demanding/seasoned producer, they'd (rightfully) come to the conclusion that the higher costs for a high profile producer would NOT result in correspondingly more saled records. Because a) the Iron Maiden fans would buy a new album anyway (and that's 100% correct) b) chances of getting new audiences via a new, hyped record are equal to zero (I know new generations of fans are out there, but not because Iron Maiden is so "hot").

That crossed my mind, and Rod Smallwood is a guy who always watched for bigger income then expenses...
    It's not even that the boys don't care for their stuff, they give us great shows (albeit a bit routinized meanwhile) and seem to show an honest pride regarding their (last) albums.
    So in the end, I keep wishing for a truely great arranged, played, sung, mixed and produced album JUST FOR THE SAKE OF IT!!!:laugh:

Edit: I mean, dammit, they still got it, it's just too easy for them to get away with a lazy effort...

Pangolino likes this.
  11. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

[​IMG]
    By the way, yesterday I noticed that live album "Beast Over Hammersmith" (recorded in Hammersmith Odeon, London, UK on 20 March 1982) has finally appeared on the streaming services.
    Not sure if it is available everywhere but atleast in Europe and Finland seems to be so. All the usual streaming services should have it there. Check it out then.
    Glad that can now listen to this fine live (whenever wherever) and I don't have to think of ripping my own cd:s (from Eddie's Archive-boxset).

Gavaxeman, porotikos and superstar19 like this.
  12. Cheevyjames

That's great to know! It's not on US Spotify yet (all tracks are greyed-out), but hopefully that means we'll be getting more Maiden stuff there.

I love that show so much, but damn why did they have to use the "new" logo when it came out? It's so terrible.

13. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Not sure why it was used..anyways, hope that all you people there over the big pond got your dose of Maiden's 1982 energy soon.
    I agree, it might even mean that there will be something along coming to the services, or someday, perhaps new boxset of live-shows and stuff. Hopefully.

14. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more. It's a small niggle but it's bugged me all these years. It's a 1982 recording, so use the 1982 logo! LOL.

I never liked that logo variation at all, anyway, no matter what release they slapped it on.

Cheevyjames likes this.
  15. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

@Cheevyjames @Anthrax it bugged me too, as it was like that during 1998-2015 (except for some exceptions), but Im anyways glad that they have changed it back to what it was:
    [​IMG]

superstar19 likes this.
  16. Cheevyjames

Best logo in metal.

SammyJoe, porotikos and Gavaxeman like this.
  17. Cheevyjames

Also, @SammyJoe are there any other new-to-streaming releases? The US stuff on Spotify is the same as it ever was.

18. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Nothing else has appereared to me besides that Beast On The Road, I will of course mention if there’s anything else to be found.

Cheevyjames likes this.
  19. RyanX

RyanX and get the priest as well

Not seeing it on Apple Music yet. My cd of Beast has the old logo but I have never been able to find a good scan of it online.

20. Cheevyjames

Mine does too. This discogs entry shows the best scan of the cover with the classic logo that I've seen online, just scroll through the pictures:

Iron Maiden – Eddie's Archive (2002, CD)

21. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

@Cheevyjames, my mind was playing tricks when I last replied with mentioning "Beast On The Road" of course that was the tour name, but I meant to write "Beast Over Hammersmith". :laugh:

22. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

@Cheevyjames I have just found out that "BBC Archives" is also available for streaming on the usual services here in Europe.
    So we must be getting the last one "Best Of The B'Sides" soon?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    Gavaxeman and superstar19 like this.
  23. Cheevyjames

Hopefully! Next step is getting those for the US. Still, that "Best of the B's" won't have Sanctuary and Twilight Zone. I'd much rather the band split them up into 2 "albums": Complete Live B-sides and Complete Studio B-sides.

Gavaxeman likes this.
  24. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Brief thing about Bruce's first book show recently in Brighton:
    BRUCE DICKINSON Kicks Off U.K. Spoken-Word Tour In Brighton

RON MAIDEN singer Bruce Dickinson kicked off his first-ever U.K. spoken-word tour Sunday night (August 1) at Theatre Royal in Brighton. A one-minute video featuring Bruce's impressions of the evening, as well as commentary from several of the fans who attended the event, can be seen below.

Dickinson is considered one of the world's most storied musicians after decades spent delivering high-octane performances with his larger-than-life persona in IRON MAIDEN. A true polymath, his accomplishments include: pilot and airline captain, aviation entrepreneur, beer brewer, motivational speaker, film scriptwriter, twice-published novelist and Sunday Times best-selling author, radio presenter, TV actor, sports commentator and international fencer….to name but a few.

So there's plenty to be entertained by throughout the evening's cornucopia of fascinating tales and derring-do exploits, all delivered by Bruce with characteristically infectious enthusiasm and wry wit.

Split into two parts, the first section of the show sees Bruce taking a humorous and often satirical look at the world from his own very personal perspective, as told first-hand in his inimitable anarchic style, punctuated with photographs, videos and sometimes even erupting into song a capella, to illustrate a point.

The final section of the evening is devoted entirely to a question-and-answer session, with the opportunity to pose questions on any subject whatsoever. The more left-field and quirky the question, the more interesting and compelling the response is likely to be.

Speaking about what fans can expect from his spoken-word tour, Dickinson said: "Mainly it's a sideways look at my life, which in some ways is pleasantly ridiculous. The show that is now the show has moved on quite a long way from what is just in [my autobiography]. Yes, it's a bit autobiographical but there's an awful lot more stuff. Part two gets interesting because it's, dare I say, a bit improv. I give you cue cards upon which you can write whatever you want — insults, advice, questions perhaps. And I then rearrange those like some sort of bizarre crossword puzzle into what becomes the third third of the show. So, basically, that's it — the last third of the show is created by you, with a little bit of help from me."

Dickinson's autobiography, "What Does This Button Do?", landed at No. 10 on the New York Times "Hardcover Nonfiction" best sellers list. It was released in the U.S. in October 2017 via Dey Street Books (formerly It Books), an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.

"What Does This Button Do?" is Dickinson's third book. He has previously published two satirical novels, "The Adventures Of Lord Iffy Boatrace" about the English upper classes and "The Missionary Position" about televangelism.

Dickinson, who will turn 63 later this week, joined IRON MAIDEN in 1981, replacing Paul Di'Anno, and made his recording debut with the band on the 1982 album "The Number Of The Beast". He quit the band in 1993, pursuing several solo projects, and rejoined in 1999.

slipkid, superstar19 and Cheevyjames like this.
  25. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

[​IMG]
    Happy Birthday Bruce!

serj, porotikos, TexasBuck and 3 others like this.