Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Rockhead

Rockhead Forum Resident

I wouldn't say it's one of their best. First of all, I don't think it was really necessary to release another live album so soon after Rock in Rio and in my opinion there were even better shows on Death on the Road Tour than the one in Dortmund. But it's still good enough to make it a very nice listening experience.

I need to revisit Maiden live catalogue, because I haven't listened to some albums in years, but that's how I rate them basing on my memory:

Live after Death
    Rock in Rio
    Beast over Hammersmith
    Maiden England
    A Real Live One
    A Real Dead One
    BBC Archives
    Death on the Road
    The Book of Souls: Live Chapter
    Flight 666
    Live at Donington
    En Vivo!
    Nights of the Dead

slipkid and superstar19 like this.
  2. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Just couple things:

Bruce Dickinson Says Iron Maiden Drummer Was Not Happy, 'Grumpy' to Record New Album, Speaks on Mistake Band Made With Single
    "This tour coming up, we've already got it running to Europe, and we've already announced Rock in Rio. It would be great to come back to the USA, frankly, it would be amazing, and if Uncle Joe lets us back in, then it'll all be great to get back out there and do some stuff.
    "And then in 2022 and 2023, let's see how the album goes because frankly, we would love to get out and play a bunch of album cuts, and I'm absolutely certain we wouldn't be playing festivals. We would be playing arenas, and it would be to people that love the album.
    "Instead of doing three nights, you just do one night, but you do one night of really compressed, tight, album stuff. We did 'The Book of Souls,' basically. On 'A Matter of Life and Death,' we did it effectively almost in its entirety.

Bruce Dickinson Wants to Sing Iron Maiden ‘Rarities’ on Tour
    “In lockdown, I was just trying to improve my Iron Maiden pinball score, and, of course, we've got some really cool tracks on the pinball machine, including 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner,' which we haven't done for ages,” Dickinson said in a recent episode of The Eddie Trunk Podcast. “And I just love doing that song. The storytelling element of it is genius, and then the breakdown, the moody bit, then into 'the curse it lives on in their eyes' bit – oh, it gives me goose bumps just listening to it!”
    He added that he was "thinking, ‘Wow, we're going to do that again one day; that's just awesome.’ So stuff like that. I'd love to do one or two rarities – I'd love to do 'The Prisoner' again, 'Stranger in a Strange Land,' stuff like that. I like things that have a little bit of groove to them.”
    In the same interview, the singer was asked about performing the material originally recorded by his predecessor, Paul Di’Anno, on Maiden’s first two albums. “There's some stuff that I really like on those records,” he replied. “I love 'Prodigal Son' – it's fantastic. If you want to see a Jethro Tull sort of influence on early Maiden, [there’s] that, and in particular 'Killers,' the track, and 'Murders in the Rue Morgue.’”

3. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Stranger in a Strange Land may in fact be my favorite Iron Maiden song.

SIASL has groove aplenty, majestic melodies,and one of my favorite refrains "what became of the men The started ..."

Anthrax and Gus Tomato like this.
  4. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

Death on the Road is good. Just wish it didn’t have the repeats from Rock In Rio. But the new stuff and Lord of the Flies is great.

15 years later and how many MORE lame unnecessary versions of all the live standards have they released? Probably half a dozen. I stopped caring after DOD and Death on the Road.

ian christopher and Yam Graham like this.
  5. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Yet still no complete Maiden Japan.

CybrKhatru likes this.
  6. Pretty much how I feel.
    I've never loved Live After Death either....It pales compared with The Beast On The Road and is nowhere near the Maiden Japan EP.

AngusStanley, scottp and ArpMoog like this.
  7. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Yes , you think we could get some official live shows from 80 to 83.
    Not exclusive to boxes none of that just pressed and out there.

I'm one that doesn't care for Live after Death much. Touring cooked Bruce good.
    When I saw the shows for Slave first time was great second like 6 months later Bruce could hardly sing and the band was irritated and tired. Accept smoked them that night. Funny story. So Things were getting rowdy up front and Bruce tries to get people to sit down and threatens to stop playing and people start ripping up chairs from the ground as they are bolted in and a few get thrown at the band.
    They continue to play but in all my times seeing them it's the only time Harris hid back by the drums.
    I'm up front just trying to be cool hoping to hear Back in the Village. The crowd didn't mellow and I didn't get the song. To kinda think about it I can't recall them ever pulling that one out but maybe I forgot. I've seen them every time here since 82 with the exception of Souls as I was to sick to go.
    I remember Killers tour at Harpo's but that was 21 and over and I think later I found out they toured with Priest for Point of Entry but Priest didn't play here until Vengeance tour I think.
    Kinda felt robbed them warming Priest as it was a short set.
    I think Piece was the first tour they head lined a arena. That show was at cobo hall maybe. It's been a long ride.
    For as much as people dislike the Blaze records it was awesome seeing them in a club.

ian christopher and Yam Graham like this.
  8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yes, I agree. I saw them at the time at the Electric Factory (old club from the 60s resurrected in a new place which I hated though) in '96.

ian christopher likes this.
  9. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Have you read Dan Brown’s book ‘The Terror? Or seen the tv show? SIASL is about that expedition.

10. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

They've never played it.

Yet.

11. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

[​IMG]

Book of Souls: Live Chapter

Released on the 17th of November 2017, Live Chapter is a live document from the band consisting of recordings made from various venues throughout the Book of Souls World Tour.
    Produced by Tony Newton with Steve Harris
    Track List:
    If Eternity Should Fail
    Speed of Light
    Wrathchild
    Children of the Damned
    Death or Glory
    The Red and the Black
    The Trooper
    Powerslave
    The Great Unknown
    The Book of Souls
    Fear of the Dark
    Iron Maiden
    The Number of the Beast
    Blood Brothers
    Wasted Years

This one is a mixed bag for me. As noted a couple of years ago (yikes!) I do not like live recordings spread over different venues. With a good pair of headphones you can hear a shift in sound from the different acoustics from each venue. Its not a deal breaker however. What does bring this down for me is how low Dave Murray is mixed in the recording. Just listen to his famous solo on The Number of the Beast here. Its like he's on 5 when everyone else is on 10.
    Still, its a great setlist with some old favorites mixed in well with the six new songs and a few concert staples. Overall the sound is good (apart from Davey) with Nicko's bass drum providing a good umph and Bruce very forward in the mix. All members of the band giving it their all. It should be noted that like all newer shows, Bruce does sound strained from time to time. Oh well, we all age.
    Highlights for me include If Eternity Should Fall, Death or Glory, The Red and the Black, Powerslave, Iron Maiden and Wasted Years. The next live release will get better...

12. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Davey is my favorite soloist in IM, perhaps this is why I haven't warmed to TBoS:LC very much.

Death on the Road showcased each of the three six string wizards in stunning fashion - dig the melodic guitar lead bridge in "Paschendale" just before each player gets a solo run - breathtaking!

MusicMatt likes this.
  13. I saw every tour upto the No Payer For The Dying tour. I didn't like Fear Of The Dark at all when it came out so I didn't bother with the tour. From what I read etc...I don't think I missed much as the band were at odds with Bruce prior to him leaving.
    For me...they seemed to get better every tour until Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son. Both gigs I caught them on they appeared to dial it it...like they were on autopilot. I guess that's what constant touring does eventually.

ArpMoog likes this.
  14. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Has
    Ide almost trade you for those Dianno shows. The first two records are still the best to me. Wasn't Prayer the tour Anthrax opened ?

15. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Yam., I would go to see them even though I didn't like the record. There have been a few. To this day I don't like Prayer or Fear.

16. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

It was.

Both bands had also been on the same bill during most dates of August 1988.

Same here. Even the songs that don't quite do it for me on record get better live, and then there's the rest of the show.

ArpMoog likes this.
  17. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

After Successful Surgery, Iron Maiden’s Drummer Sends Message Not to Ignore Persistent Vocal Problems

This is kinda shocking news to hear, but hopefully it seems that Nicko is fine now.
    So, it turns out that Nicko was diagnosed with stage 1 laryngeal cancer in 2019, lucky was that it was diagnosed so early.
    I hope everything's fine and I sincerely hope the best health for him. This makes me back thinking how lucky it was also that they found it early on when Bruce had cancer and Nicko followed it all closely.

serj, el supernautico, Slice and 2 others like this.
  18. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Wow, thanks for posting that. The guys are definitely getting older. I'm so thankful he had it checked out and the doctors caught it early. He was on fire for the 2019 show I saw, so maybe that was after he'd been fully healed?

SammyJoe and Gus Tomato like this.
  19. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

No wonder he was cranky for the initial recording sessions!

SammyJoe and el supernautico like this.
  20. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

The article says he was diagnosed and treated in 2020.

Cheevyjames likes this.
  21. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Sep 27th, 2021
    Bruce adds a further two dates to his UK tour
    Bruce is extending his 'Evening With' UK tour with two additional dates this December in Liverpool & Edinburgh!
    December 9th – Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool
    December 10th – Usher Hall, Edinburgh
    Bruce adds a further two dates to his UK tour

slipkid likes this.
  22. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Book Of Souls - Live Chapter

It's interesting how the band decides to do live albums after some tours, but not all of them. There's no pattern, not that I can figure out. This album is a mixture of songs from a bunch of different shows so it's not like the album celebrated one particular fantastic gig. I'm fine with them releasing a live album of each tour, just be consistent with it. We should've got live albums from the Early Days Tour and the AMOLAD tour in particular. Maybe one day that'll be rectified. I can understand something like Flight 666 being taken from different stops along the tour for each song. It's cool and it works with the film. I understand the desire to have more fans represented on live albums, but when it comes down to the album itself...the continuity and vibe of the album...it never works to have it from multiple shows. It didn't work on A Real Live One, A Real Dead One and it doesn't work here. The flow is missing, even if the songs are all there in order. For me, having nearly every song be taken from a different venue distracts from the total package. They should've just released the DVD and been fine with that.

So that's my biggest beef with this album. The other one is that they didn't include Tears of a Clown. This album is taken from both legs of the tour and Tears of a Clown was played every night on that first leg. It came across well in a live environment and by having it here on this album (there's room on either disc) every song they played on this tour would be represented. Taking that song out is a massive failure. In general the production is pretty muddy and LOUD. It's kind of a beating to listen to the whole album in full. The instrumental guys all sound good, I just wish there was more clarity in the mix. Bruce...man, any time he goes into a higher register he sounds terrible. He really struggles in many of the songs here. They should consider tuning down a step because he still has that power in his voice, as we can see from the acapella singing he does on his book tour shows. He just can't sing as high and with the quality that he used to. Voices change, it's ok to admit this. Just tailor the music to fit the voice as he's the most prominent part.

Musically the song highlights for me are If Eternity Should Fail, Speed of Light, Children of the Damned, Death or Glory, Powerslave, Book of Souls, Fear of the Dark, Iron Maiden and Blood Brothers.

@MusicMatt you wanna handle Nights of the Dead: Legacy of the Beast live? I'll start up with Senjutsu on Sunday.

Anthrax likes this.
  23. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I agree that Bruce wasn't all there at the time. It's natural, what with age and coming back from such a big health problem that affected the area. I remember at the show I saw I thought he looked thinner than usual too.

But all that was rectified by 2018. He'd bounced back and at the show I saw that summer he was simply magnificent.

Cheevyjames likes this.
  24. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Yes, he was absolutely nailing it in 2018 when I saw the 2 early shows from the tour. I think he sounded better than in some recent years.
    It will be will be interesting to hear his live vocals next summer..

25. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Book of Souls: Live Chapter

Just had to put this on in the background for while I was browsing the forums and so here's my few words of this release:
    Yep, it seems to be weird pattern as some tours do get their live album or video release then some..well, are more unlucky and they don't get the deserved release. Anyways, Im pretty sure that somewhere down the line we will still get proper live albums from the tours that haven't had them, especially AMOLAD.
    I have no real problems with this release, it's ok document of the tour, it shows and captures the moments from that particular tour, the new songs in the set and their whole energy live on stage. It's souvenir for the fans who saw Maiden live then. It was surely entertaining show and I was excited once again to see my favorite band live in action.
    But I agree with you both @MusicMatt and @Cheevyjames that the overall flow and feeling of the live album in some sense gets lost, because the songs are taken from different venues and etc. leaving us with the songs but sometimes it just doesn't sound consistent. Sometimes does and sometimes not.
    I think the little exposure game of using different cities and venues on Flight 666 movie and album worked really well, but I somehow feel Maiden could nowadays just more concentrate on 1-2 nights recorded in the same venue. Hope to see this happen whenever they will release yet again new live album.
    Now this way to record and release album is like little mixed bag, on the other hand you can please many people and fans but somehow it looses a bit of the overall feeling, flow and the atmosphere of the real concert whenever you saw them then, that is what everyone needs to experience first and yourself.

Also, some moments are bit weird as it seems that some of the stage banter between the songs has been cut or left only that Bruce says like 1 sentence. Should have then cut them all or leave them as they were. With 1 or 2 nights from the same venue it would prove to be more consistent and natural, also to keep all the banter.
    Steve seems to choose some specific moments and songs from the concerts from the tour, and I think the selection he did is fine, mostly. The performances from the 2016 leg seemed to be stronger and I've heard it mentioned by those who have seen plenty more dates on this tour or heard all the possible recordings (from the full tour 2016-2017).
    This album in some sense feel a bit similar to the latest Iron Maiden live album Nights Of The Dead (recorded over 2 nights in Mexico on the Legacy Of The Beast Tour, as the album was recorded in the later part of 2019 and I witnessed 2 early shows in 2018 and Bruce did sound much better on the 2018 dates (even if compared to the worst parts of this live album).
    I think when I first heard this live album (when it was released) COTD felt like worse for me (in couple moments), but now upon listening to this again (after a while) Im ok with how it sounds (now it even made my highlights list)..but I think there must have been must better recordings from the tour, especially 2016 dates. Not sure why this one was picked, though.

I will be so looking forward to seeing Maiden live again next year (hope that those dates happen) so then I will hear how he sounds nowadays..based on the Senjutsu performance, he still has really powerful voice but he has had couple rougher years and tours down the line..last time it was amazing.
    Also, they should have included "Tears Of A Clown" here, as it was featured well on the setlist on the first leg (which I saw) and anyways it was new song from the TBOS so, that's why it would have been essential addition the live recordings and albums.
    So, this was welcome and nice document of the tour but for some reason I actually haven't revisited this live album that often, so next time when I will need some Maiden live fix, I might go to this album as it has some songs that aren't elsewhere.
    The whole set works nicely for me, but some highlights: If Eternity Should Fail, Speed Of Light, Children Of The Damned, Death Or Glory, The Red And The Black, Powerslave, The Great Unknown, The Book Of Souls, Fear Of The Dark, Iron Maiden, Blood Brothers
    Tomorrow I will try and write some few lines about Death On The Road..

Cheevyjames likes this.