Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. sentinel90125

sentinel90125 Forum Resident

Powerslave is their first album where it all comes together for me, with absolutely no filler. The run from Powerslave through SIT & Seventh Son is untouchable in my opinion.

CBackley, MusicMatt and Zoot Marimba like this.
  2. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

The only major thing that needs to be released on DVD is Donington 1992. I assume that'll be part of the "History of IM Part 4" set, if/when it ever comes out. More than that, though, I really want to see a re-edited Part 3 because that one (covering my favorite Maiden albums no less) looked like total ass. It's like they just stopped trying.

Big Pasi, MusicMatt and Zoot Marimba like this.
  3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

Flash Of the Blade:

We now arrive at Flash Of the Blade, written by Bruce and inspired by his love of fencing. The song would appear on the soundtrack to Phenomena, and would be covered by Avenged Sevenfold.
    The song starts with this cool little riff before the drums start at :08, the full band coming in at :17, and really lock into a solid rhythm as Bruce starts at :35, showing some nice rasp throughout the verses, and the music still flowing really well, propulsive, heavy, having some nice hooky qualities. The guitars harmonize at 2:02, and works very well in place of an actual solo, serving the song well.
    Overall, a very solid track that keeps the momentum going, I dig it.

CBackley, Big Pasi, SammyJoe and 2 others like this.
  4. Flash Of The Blade
    Nothing to complain about here...stellar track that keeps the album going nicely.
    Love the simple hammer on's intro.
    5/5

5. Zoot Marimba

Merry Christmas everybody!

6. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

Flash of the Blade

This is my 2nd favorite Iron Maiden song of all time. Sometimes a song just clicks for you. When I first heard that opening part I was hooked. I like what Nicko does with the cymbal hits during the choruses. I wish they would have done it live.
    5+/5

7. MusicMatt

Merry Christmas everyone.

SammyJoe and Zoot Marimba like this.
  8. SickAgain

SickAgain Active Member

You forgot about Donnington 88. That needs a full release on DVD and audio.

SammyJoe and Zoot Marimba like this.
  9. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

FLASH OF THE BLADE

Cool song. The intro is fun to play on guitar. Was pleasantly surprised to see it in the horror film Phenomena (known as Creepers in the US). They have never done it live? They should give it a shot.

SammyJoe and TexasBuck like this.
  10. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Can't see that ever happening due to the sad events of that festival.

11. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Definitely a Merry Christmas. Good to see we're only at 1984, still another 34 years of Maiden ahead in this thread.

12. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Merry Christmas everyone.

Losfer Words: From the count-off, you can tell that this is going to be one intense track. The transition from the opening riff to the harmonized section is flawless.

Flash of The Blade: I love this song, particularly the chorus. The only complaint is that I find the "You're St. George or you're David " line rather clumsy.

SammyJoe, TexasBuck and Zoot Marimba like this.
  13. Zoot Marimba

Speaking of Maiden, here's one of the gifts I got today:
    [​IMG]

PJayBe, SammyJoe, Yam Graham and 4 others like this.
  14. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

What were the sad events?

15. MusicMatt

I got it today as well

SammyJoe, scottp and Zoot Marimba like this.
  16. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

AMOLAD ranks up their for me loved it as soon as it was released

17. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

Losfer Words: I'm not a big instrumental song fan but this is a pretty solid track.

Flash of the Blade: Killer guitar riff and just a killer song in general. There's some really cool guitar harmonies in here as well. "Powerslave" is just relentless as an album. All the deep album cuts rock out.

SammyJoe and MusicMatt like this.
  18. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Losfer Words

Steve is known for his gallop, but he also does a darn fine march. This sounds like a group of guys jamming, but they happen to be top-notch musicians. Very good track.

Flash of the Blade

Love the main riff and the sound of the guitars. Everybody is on their game here. I'm starting to think this might be a good album...

19. Zoot Marimba

Two people were trampled to death at that festival during Guns N Roses' set

CBackley likes this.
  20. Zoot Marimba

Wally Swift likes this.
  21. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Man I've been caught up in so much controversy lately!

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  22. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Flash Of The Blade has to not only have one of the best vocal chorus but most melodic guitar sections of any Maiden song.It sounds so energetic and uplifting.

CBackley, TexasBuck, SammyJoe and 2 others like this.
  23. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I'll contribute this for the moment;

[​IMG]

24. Zoot Marimba

Awesome. Hope to see you around

Wally Swift likes this.
  25. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

"Flash Of The Blade", good driven and catchy song which starts with very effective riff, which is repeated around until the band and Bruce join it.
    I love the fact that everything Bruce does, he really does with passion, it's evident on many things how he told things in his great autobiography.
    So, here's the song in which he shows his passion for the favorite sport of his, fencing. His vocals and performance here are tough, relentless and sinister but with emotions.
    So you can sense how serious he's about the things he's interested about no doubt about that. I think this is awesome song and it would have been great to hear this one live someday.
    Now with 3 guitars this could actually work great, so if there comes some time soon that they really decide to play some never before played song on stage, this could be one really valid option for it.
    It's really unfortunate the the song does not contain any single guitar-solo, but luckily we have that great instrumental harmony section, that part is just so great to have here.
    Band is tight and Steve's bass is doing many great things and on this album particularly it's very powerful and mastered performance from him.
    I agree with you @MusicMatt those cymbal hits during choruses are really cool.