Iron Maiden upcoming vinyl reissues.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimhb, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I think the ball was dropped long ago, as every album after Virtual XI have been released only on picture-discs.
    As for these new releases, was it really worth the effort to go down and master from original tapes when they would be only picture-vinyl?
    Kinda stupid if you ask me.

Maybe this will turn out to be some kind of test?
    And if theres enough negative response or these wont sell enough, then the management (or whoever is in charge) could think more
    and release vinyl the way its suppose to be released and for the people who really want them for playing not as some decoration on the wall.

Maybe they will someday do reissues of all the albums on black or single color-vinyl, one can only hope. In the meantime, Im going to listen to the originals...

Oh well, wherever, wherever you are,
    Iron Maiden's gonna get you, no matter how far.

2. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

There is no doubt in my mind that Maiden management knows what they're doing here, whether I like what they do or not is an altogether different matter. They haven't been a successful business for 30 years for nothing. Considering the great number of Maiden fanatics out there and the fact that Maiden stuff is highly collectible, I don't think these will be a failure.

The only thing I like about these reissues is that disclaimer that Simon reported above where they say the sound is compromised on these. At least they're not trying to fool anyone.

3. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

What? No. I meant that the Final Frontier picture disc sounds good compared to usual picture discs, but not compared to regular black vinyl - in terms of surface noise, ticks, etc. - i.e., pressing quality, not the mastering.

And yes, I'm sure these will sell, as Maiden fans more than any other drool over their collector plates and gold-embossed Ultra Glossy Gold Foil #1s.

4. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know these were done from original tapes, but does anyone know who cut them??

5. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

:laugh: Nicko, Nicko...... some c**ts recording this! :wave:

( a little in joke for fellow Maiden fans)

6. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Best B Side ever!!!:laugh:

7. Maidenpriest

:righton::cheers:

8. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Has it been established that these new vinyl releases suck and sound as bad or worse than the CD remasters?

9. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Not at all - a lot of complaining is going on in this thread - but only one post (#56) addresses the actual sound of the lp's.

I'm not happy about the release of picture discs but since I don't have a good copy of Iron Maiden I did order one. Waiting for it to arrive from Canada (amazing prices on Amazon.ca - $22 US). If it's worth the price from there I'll get back.

10. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

On the other hand, is Maiden really audiophile material? Discuss.

11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Are The Beatles, Led Zep, Deep Purple, The Who, The Kinks etc ? probably not but I think almost everyone wants to hear their favourite act in the best possible light, most of those 12" UK Maiden 45 RPM's that I own sound amazing for the genre, give me the albums on double LP cut at 45RPM, mastered by someone who knows what they're doing and here's my wallet Mr.Harris take as much out as you want. :cheers:

12. Blueshirt

Blueshirt Forum Resident

...and don't forget that if you buy all of the new Iron Maiden LP's from certain stockists, that they will give you a nice 'Picture Disc Collection' box with the Iron Maiden logo on it too... :goodie: :goodie:
    [​IMG]

13. thedudeabidz

thedudeabidz Stepping sharply from the rank and file

You'd figure with Harris being such a big Zappa fan that he'd worry about sound quality. I hope that Steve will re-remaster and re-re-release the catalog to make some more money, only this time maybe actually worry about audio fidelity. He must know that some of his fans covet the early catalog and crave for better clarity.

14. aroney

Yes. The early stuff is actually well produced and the musicianship is top notch too. Also, many tunes actually have real dynamics. I'd say Maiden is a band that absolutely should have "audiophile" releases.

Just compare one of the earlier CD's with the ear-bleeding re-masters.

15. aroney

I think they just moved the release date to November for those. :confused:

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger for Killers, but if it sounds like ***, I'll pass.

16. motorcitydave

Feel free to give examples. :cool:

17. motorcitydave

Thanks for your response. I agree with that notion. My personal opinion, is that it varies from album to album, and even track to track. I'd say 'Somewhere in Time' is a good example of drum sounds, for example.

18. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Absolutely yes.
    The recordings from Killers to Somewhere In Time are wonderful, clear and very dynamic. Martin Birch knew what he was doing.

As you pointed out, the drums especially shine on some of those albums. I use Maiden vinyl (originals) sometimes as demo material to blow people away. One good example is the song Revelations. That, and the drum intro to Where Eagles Dare are wow material. Another awesome sounding intro is The Prisoner. That one really makes people's jaws drop. Another particular favourite of mine is the realism of the bass guitar on Aces High, which is also night and day compared to what any CD to date brings. And that's just off the top of my head.

There is no doubt in my mind that there is a lot of juice in those recordings, and it would only take a careful, sympathetic mastering to make them into a killer reissue series. After all, this is some of the best metal music ever made.

19. motorcitydave

'Piece of Mind' is definitely a stand out sound wise. Probably the best sounding of the classic albums. UK or US is fine for that one. The UK edges out the US imo. 'Powerslave' is just ok...I'm listening to that right now (on vinyl-EEC pressing-Sterling mastered) and it's a bit dull and muffled in places. 'Killers' and 'The Number of the Beast' on UK vinyl have good punch to them. 'Seventh Son' (again with a UK pressing) is a bit too bright and lacking in bass. 'Maiden Japan' is not bad overall, but nothing great. I only have the US vinyl since I wanted all 5 songs. The first one is decent but very raw and bare-bones, which I guess adds to the songwriting at that period of the band's history. UK is preferred for that one too.

I agree, with the mastering done right, it could be a big winner.

20. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I agree with your assessment of all the albums except for Powerslave. I don't have my LP on hand right now and I forget exactly which pressing it is (although I remember it was bought in late 1984 and it's not a UK), but I haven't ever heard it as muffled, certainly not dull. The crunch of the guitars is crisp and clear, the bass is so present and there's body to it (nothing like the CD) and the drums are, again, to die for.

You're so right when you say Piece Of Mind is a stand out. Funny how the one which is probably the best of the vinyls came out as probably the worst of the old CDs!

Aaarrrgh! Now I need to crank some Maiden but I'm away from my LPs at the moment. This is torture! :D

21. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I think Birch Maiden, particularly Piece of Mind and Powerslave, is way more audiophile material than Metallica's Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets, both of which have had audiophile treatment.

22. Maidenpriest

:agree: Totally Agree !!

23. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

All Maiden albums from '80 to '88 are audiophile material. I have Killers, Piece of Mind, Powerslave and Number of the Beast UK originals and they're killer. I can only dream what these would sound like re-issued on clean vinyl (mine are very good but with some clicks and crackle) with a decent, faithful mastering from the original masters.

24. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

I'm happy with my European LP orignals from S/T to Powerslave. I have Seventh Son on original pic disc and the audio quality is quite awful compared to the standard LP's.

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

IMO, everything that is recorded well is audiophile material. I want a marshall stack to sound like a marshall stack, not to mention drums and vocals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.