Is 16/44.1 still a decent quality in 2020?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by twelvealo, Mar 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Skimming through it now. Good for a laugh, really. The participants were a small group, only 16 people ages 19-25. Also talking about very high SPLs. Anyone that thinks they can hear to 30K or even 20K, go get a hearing test and get back to us. This forum skews older and age related hearing loss is a fact of life. High frequencies are the first to go. Many people on this forum would be lucky to hear anything above 12K.

Freebird, scobb, JakeMcD and 4 others like this.
  2. Mayidunk

Mayidunk Just passin' through...

OK, I guess I'll take a shot at this.

So-called "Subjectivists" hear what they hear. Cool! So-called "Objectivists" also hear what they hear. Also cool! So, what's the big deal? I believe that it comes down to trust and fear.

Subjectivists don't trust test results and specs to guide them to their ultimate end. They trust their own ears as well as the experience of others whom they trust, to guide them. Some may also make use of specs and test results to narrow the field, but ultimately their ears will decide.

On the other hand, I belive that Objectivists fear that the lack of specs from manufacturers, as well as the flowery descriptions from reviewers trying to keep their jobs, will lead the industry away from the engineering rigor that they believe will keep manufacturers from cheating, taking advantage of what they see as their customers' naivety.

In the end, both want the same outcome, good sound. The problem is that the Subjectivists see Objectivists as being hide bound, pedantic, and stubborn, agahst that they wouldn't just let their ears be the judge. While the Objectivists see Subjectivists as actively pushing the industry away from the engineering rigor that has protected customers from being taken advantage of for many, many years.

Of course, I may be wrong, but that's how it appears to me. As always, YMMV.

Edit.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That's me!

4. Ninjur

Ninjur Forum Resident

Does not work that way.

5. Ninjur

Ninjur Forum Resident

This have nothing to do with the dynamics in the music.

6. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Why?

7. pagan84

pagan84 Active Member

Doesn't look like that, but I'm not an expert on analog signals.
    Please note that: people were very young, and the speaker was literally screaming straight to the ear (0 degree angle, very loud), single tone.

The research says also that humans have hardware filter which suppress high frequencies (starts at 14-18kHz).
    All in all I can't say that it is not possible to catch frequencies >20kHz during music playback but it is extremely unlikely.

With a hardware filter set higher than 20kHz (longer ear channel, some mutations, who knows)
    AND
    undamaged hearing (good luck when living in a city or older than 25)
    AND
    audiophile quality recordings.
    Then MAYBE.
    Still cant say it is not possible.

Anyone can take a professional test.
    Yesterday at work, just for fun I tested some pure tones and tone sweeps on myself, 60$ DAC + 15$ earbuds (Fiio E10k, KZ ED9).
    Up to 16kHz quite ok, but more quiet and quiet from around 14kHz, then sheer drop, null, nothing, darkness.
    So I created single tone wav files and the last one I was able to hear was 18kHz but the volume level was EXTREMELY HIGH.
    Looks like my music range ends at 16kHz :p

Cheers!!!

PS.
    Just watch out when trying single tone files, always be sure there is nothing else in your player queue, especially when cranking it up for the highest frequencies LOL

8. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Sorry. That was Oohashi. In this study, this was the masker "A loudspeaker (DENON SC-A33) was used for the signals at 250Hz, 1, 4, and 12kHz" . Still, likely intermodulation.
    Dumb statement. There is no "filter," per se. Humans simply lack the receptor mechanism for the frequencies the study is looking at.
    And you cannot say it happens even from your own tests.

9. Mayidunk

Mayidunk Just passin' through...

This is likely the salient point for Objectivists:

"If the consumers don't resist, in the near future we may get a lossy format replacing good lossless formats not only on streaming platforms and as downloads but also in the form of (13bit instead of 16bit!) physical MQA CD."

YMMV

Edit: Stuff

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Brother_Rael and Anthrax like this.
  10. -Sphinx-

-Sphinx- OM - Ordinary Man

I'm actually much more a subjectivist than an objectivist..

11. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

This, I agree with!

12. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

I thought I could tell the difference between the 2009 Beatles CDs and the higher resolution USB versions and attributed it to the difference in resolution. That was until I learned the USB versions were more compressed than the CDs (which were overly compressed to begin with).

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  13. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I thought I could tell the difference between the 2009 Beatles CDs and the higher resolution USB versions too.

14. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

Let's not forget our host weighed in on this on page 1 on the second post of the thread. I trust his judgment.

15. Grant

The key word in the title is "decent". That does not mean it's the best.

16. orval

orval Forum Resident

I have some of questions for Grant
    Can you hear an 80db sound at >15khz? Could this be proven or disproven?
    Do you possess any recordings with a dynamic range in excess of 96db?
    If so how do you experience this in your home?

Thanks

17. Grant

Don't start that sh- again. I didn't answer you the first time or two you asked this because it was baiting. I didn't answer you then, and i'm not going to answer you now. Don't bother to keep trying.

18. pagan84

pagan84 Active Member

I've compared the first album and one of those releases (don't remember which one) is 0.3dB louder.
    Still the difference between peaks is the same on both (which says the dynamic is identical).
    Frequency spectrum reaches up to 22kHz on both of them.
    The spectrum is very noisy so dither on CD version is non-visible.
    Sounds the same to me, but maybe some users can hear the difference in loudness (it is there, that's a fact) or some 24bit->16bit conversion artifacts (if they exist).

Anyway the term 'resolution' is misleading in this case, more bits affect only the noise floor.
    Music wont be any smoother or more close to analog original, you can test it easily converting a 24-bit file to 16, 8 and 4bits.

Cheers!

RhodesSupremacy and Bingo Bongo like this.
  19. Ninjur

Ninjur Forum Resident

Because that is the normal way to describe dynamic range.

20. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Ah yes, I prefer the normal way.
    Why doesn't the normal way work?

21. Madison-chan

Madison-chan New Wave is Old

It's the only quality you need, lol. Humans can't hear higher.

audiomixer and luiscardoso88 like this.
  22. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The good news for humans is that the benefits of good high-res are audible below 20 kHz. Even down the the midrange and bass frequencies. Slightly better layering and separation and imaging and depth. Slightly better phase behavior which makes it easier to hear changes when you flip absolute polarity (absolute phase). Which can result in better and fuller room sound.

Tone? likes this.
  23. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Yeah the quality is more than fine.

the mastering matter waaaaay more.

well mastered CDs can sound sublime.
    Some recordings just suck. Hires would do absolutely zero to help it.

24. luiscardoso88

luiscardoso88 Forum Resident

While I totally agree with you, there’s a chance that, because the Hi-Res market is formed mainly by discerning listeners, the best format will end up with a better mastering (that could’ve been applied to the redbook standard format anyway, but...).

Tone? likes this.
  25. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Hires with a ****ty mastering is just a hires piece of crap.
    Lol.

pagan84 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.