Is 16/44.1 still a decent quality in 2020?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by twelvealo, Mar 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Post of the day!
    Beave

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  2. The Beave

Another great post!
    Beave

3. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  4. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

I will file this under "Things I've been thinking but was always to afraid to say out loud"

twelvealo and The Beave like this.
  5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

AMEN!!

The Beave likes this.
  6. The Beave

So true. I’ll take it a step further, if you have just ONE cd that sounds incredible compared to the vinyl lp of the same title, then the cd format is not deficient, just cheap dac’s, circuitry, and poor mastering, ie the first USA pressing of Aqualung.
    You can tell the tape they used sounded very poor.
    Beave

7. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

I only drop the bigger $$$ for hi res MULTI CHANNEL music...not stereo...why when i can get a CD for $1-10 per disc....

But Multi channel not really available on CD!

Mesozoic Mike and The Beave like this.
  8. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

Simplified:
    This cannot be stated too often.

The Beave likes this.
  9. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Sure it's decent, perhaps more than decent for most.

However, I believe it's listener-dependant.

I've read many in this forum that swear that 16/44 causes sound degradation they can hear. Some have written that they detect a loss of imaging or realness of audio that they get with high res and vinyl. I don't necessarily hear that but who am I to declare anyone wrong who insists they do.

10. rockphotog

rockphotog If I Could Only Remember My Name

Some people say... is the rhetoric of Trump. Let it be personal anecdotes, at least.

Does anyone have a recording where 16/44.1 came too short? Very high frequencies, and with a dynamic range beyond extreme pain? Or at least touching 90+ dB?

Frost, Billy Infinity and enfield like this.
  11. mmhifi

mmhifi Forum Resident

Chord M-Scaler+DAC makes from 16/44 MUSIC. Betters my EMT turntable.

The Beave likes this.
  12. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I think that's exactly how hi-res vendors want you to feel.

Unless you personally get something out of hi-res and/or don't feel satisfied with 16bit, enjoy your CDs and don't worry about it.

13. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

So some people say...

14. Hudo

Hudo Forum Resident

44/16 isn't the problem.

Problems are bad DACs and album engineering /mastering.

We are too niche market for big label corps to adopt hi res and DSD in their recording and mastering chains. Also, they would have to have 2 releases: one for hifi, one for radios, cars, cheap chi-fi speakers, laptop speakers,... where everything has to be dynamically very compressed.

The Beave likes this.
  15. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Happy with CD. Still perfectly good.

16. The Beave

This!

Beave

audiomixer likes this.
  17. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Forum Resident

Love my CD rips - haven't felt the need to pursue hi-res. Mastering-dependent of course...

JimmyCool likes this.
  18. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

High Res Audio does a little better with high frequencies but that is only part of what it can sometimes improve.
    What it also often improves is the midrange colors as there is more data used to construct timbres, nuances and separation.
    Likewise bass is clearer as timing smear is lowered due to increased data information.
    Therefore old ears connected to discerning brains listening on top quality gear may not hear any huge increase in treble extension or resolution.
    But they may greatly appreciate an improvement in overall sound quality in those frequencies from the midrange down.
    Many on this forum will wish to debate the above statements.
    That would seem foolish however.
    A month spent sampling Qobuz for a few bucks will allow you to judge for yourself if you have modern digital equipment and an internet connection.
    If you don't appreciate high res after hearing lots and lots of it then you can skip it.
    If it improves your digital music listening enjoyment that is nice.
    I enjoy best procedures as a rule and I like good sound.
    Given a choice I seek out what sounds best on my own gear.
    It's nice having the ability to choose from different sources.
    As others have mentioned the best available is very much dependent on personal situations.
    A good CD may easily trounce a poor SACD.
    And my favorite internet radio station only plays 128K!
    So there you go.

19. twelvealo

twelvealo Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just want to give a big thanks to everyone that chimed in and gave feedback. Not only do I feel better about my setup but I learned some things about digital audio as well. I’ll keep reading future posts on this, it’s interesting.

20. All I know, as a Rock music fan, is that I've never heard a CD rendering drums right, specially cymbals. But as a Van Halen fan, the 192/24 Chris Bellman remasters sound outstanding and even drums cymbals included sound more realistic and much how the sound on my humble Goldring GR-1 TT (with enhancements, aluminium subplatter, 2 Kg. Rega platter, Rega silicone belt and Audio Technica VM540ML cart).

twelvealo likes this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed..it works for me!

22. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Good sounding rock with full kick drum, realistic cymbals and separation of vocals and instruments when playing at full tilt alludes me on quite a few CD's. Grand Funk Railroad's "We're An American Band" is a perfect example.
    This is the CD version I have...

Right now I'm A/B'ing it to several Youtube vinyl versions all having slight sound differences so it isn't the CD or the format that's at issue.

This vinyl version is just weird in how it brings out the kick drum... YouTube

The 45rm version is somewhere in between the CD and the second vinyl... Grand Funk Railroad , We're An American Band , 1973 45RPM

In Audacity I got pretty close to the vinyl editing upsampled to 32bit floating point/44kHz in Audacity, but it takes applying a hint of reverb and several EQ /Limiter/EQ go rounds to get the sound to open up through the audio card. Each time I apply an EQ to a finished limited for loudness final, I could go back bring out the vocals that harmonize with the lead singer singing the song title that is buried in the ROAR of everything playing at full tilt.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  23. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Just added another vocal clarity EQ to the finished limiter applied CD rez on "We're An American Band" file and I brought out even more vocal harmony clarity. INCREDIBLE! especially working on a 16/44 file reopened in Audacity and upsampled again to 32bit/44.

Parametric EQ's are the problem vs notch EQ's that Audacity employs but I can make adjustments in live playback using Apple's supplied parametric EQ. No artifacts editing these files over and over. It's like sculpting in clay.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  24. twelvealo

twelvealo Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on a vm540ml. I have the cartridge from an at440mla and need to replace the stylus.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  25. MOCKBA

MOCKBA New Member

Nothing wrong is 16/44.1, but (unless a source dictates) use at least 24/96. It isn't because Hi-Res audio asks for that, it is because 24/96 sounds much better and it is noticable. Personally I prefer 1/2.8 or better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.