1. This day in history: January 12, 2002. 9:49 AM, California time. The Steve Hoffman Music Forums officially launched with this thread. Thank you for 20 years of music, discussion, and great memories! Join our "Thank You!" thread, and we'll see you in the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

Is "A Day In The Life" the greatest rock song of all time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Forum Resident

Whole Lot Of Shakin' Going On?

The Twist?

Friday On My Mind?

Hey Jude?

Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In?

Money? (Pink Floyd)

London Calling?

Ebony And Ivory?

Billie Jean?

Girls Just Want To Have Fun?

You Were Made For Me?

2. jroyen

jroyen Forum Resident

Strawberry Fields Forever.

3. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Hey, Hey, My, My (Into The Black)

Rocket 88

Good Golly Miss Molly

Rock & Roll, Part 2

Won't You Be My Neighbor (Mr. Roger's Theme)...oops, sorry! :rolleyes:

4. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

"Louie Louie?" Hmmm...

Unless I'm mistaken, ol' Louie was on the FBI's top ten list for subversive lyrics at one time (i.e., which, ironically, no one could decipher), but I'm not sure whether that qualifies it as the best rock song of all time. ;)

"A Day in the Life" is an excellent song, but it seems to me that other songs may be more deeply rooted in the spirit of rock. One which comes to mind is Don McLean's "American Pie" --

Others?

Robert Cat Conrad :D

5. bob g.

bob g. Forum Resident

" Maybellene"

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Possibly the greatest rock song of all time would have to be one of the first from 1954:

"(We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock" Bill Haley & His Comets

"That's All Right" Elvis, Scotty & Bill

7. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Forum Resident

If we're sticking to "real" R'n''R and not Pop, I sure can't argue about those two!!! See you later, alligator!

8. Matt

Matt New Member

For me, "A Day In The Life" is the greatest rock recording of all-time, but as for the song itself, it's a great song, but I wouldn't say it's the best. I'd even say Lennon has written several better songs, but there's a lot more to the song that I like than the lyrics

9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

After Steve's fairly bold assertion that "Day In The Life" was the greatest rock song, many counter examples were given, mostly 4-on-the-floor, simpler ditties that appealed to the bootie ("Satisfaction"), and pointed more clearly towards the roots of rock and roll ("Johnny B Goode").

But to stretch this out into saying that The Beatles were "Pop" is not, in my opinion, close to the truth.

In their time, The Beatles embodied the spirit of rock - the new generation rebelling against the music and mores of their parents. I don't think parents of teenagers in the '60s who were discovering The Beatles were that pleased by the lads from Liverpool. They, of course, flat-out hated The Rolling Stones; and maybe it seemed that they liked The Beatles, but there was a serious message in much of their music and I don't think the parents were appreciative of this in any way.

"I read the news today, oh boy!"

Maybe it's a matter of definition, and we are struggling to classify The Beatles as rock 'n roll. Maybe so, but in their day they sure weren't "Pop".

Do we need to make a distinction between rock 'n roll music and rock music?

Regards,
    Metralla

10. Steve Hoffman

Hey now, I didn't ASSERT anything. I asked you all for YOUR opinion. My heading was "IS A DAY IN THE LIFE...With a question mark at the end!

I wanted all of your opinions. No one has yet asked me MY opinion.... ;):) :p

11. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident

It is not my favorite rock song of all time (that would be "One" byt Three Dog Night)

and it's not even my favorite Beatle song (that would probably have to be "Anytime At All")

so?????? what do you have to say about it????

12. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Yes you did.... you said it's "Louie Louie"! :p ;)

13. Steve Hoffman

Oh, I meant "Brother Louie" (har har)...

14. Two that made my head spin, but for entirely different reasons,
    were "New Orleans" by Gary U.S. Bonds and "Sweet Jane" from VU.

Don't get me started about how Rhino trashed the latter one by
    patching in an off-mic guide vocal to "replace" the missing middle eight.

- - - - -

"Let's Talk About Girls" Chocolate Watchband

"Da Doo Ron Ron". Get's Brian Wilson's vote.

- - - - -

Been trying to wear out "All I've Got To Do" and "Not A Second Time" off Withered Beatles for 22 years and have failed thus far. BUT NOT for lack of trying.

"She Loves You" is the most played Beatles track in my house
    even though I have 40 bootlegs of other stuff. I think I have
    every edit memorised. If I had a time machine I'd go back in time
    and steal the multitrack's off Norman Smith's desk.

Now waitaminit, maybe I already have . . .

15. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

Oh my God, Bob. I want some of what you're drinkin'.
    Are you serious? With a Little Help From My Friends? :confused:

Fills the dance Floor? We probably better not be talking Beatles then. Especially not from the Pepper era.

16. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

Now you're talkin'!

17. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

Or the Kinks' "I Need You"

18. Jim Ricketts

Jim Ricketts Active Member

Greatest Rock song? That's a tough one - kinda like deciding who your favorite child is. But focusing just on the Beatles, so many really great songs. Becoming a teen when they hit America was amazing to experience the "experience" when it was happening. Sometimes our favorite songs are influenced by events associated with that song.

But the one Beatles song i never tire of hearing and can still give me goosebumps is "Hello, Goodbye" for musical and personal reasons. Musically, it showcased the spohisticated side of the Beatles in songwriting and even more so the production. It was also the very first muisc video I ever saw when it was originally shown on Dick Clark's TV show before music videos were invented. They were drssed in their Pepper outfits, on a stage, and if my memory is still functioning, hula girls dancing in front of Paul....and this was back in '67?

Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.......but reserve the right to change!:)

19. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Steve writes:
    Mmm, you're a slippery customer. The title is provocative to say the least. To me it implied a tacit approval. But you are right, and I jumped to a conclusion.

But come on Steve - you picked one of the more interesting Beatles' compositions. This song created a lot of controvery when it came out, and it polarizes Beatles fans even today.

So I'll ask this question first - does Steve Hoffman think "Day in the Life" is the greatest song by The Beatles?

Once I figure out your stance on the above, I could have a follow-up question, mate.

Regards,
    Metralla

20. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Hmmmm....

Somehow I think Steve was just mixing things up starting this thread. MY OWN PERSONAL greatest rock song changes daily, and somdays may include songs that are decidedly NOT rock n' roll ("South of the Border" by Sinatra was rocking my world last night, the night before it was "Land of Hope and Dreams" off of the latest Springsteen set, today I have yen for "Rip This Joint" from the Stones...).

I would bet that Steve would LOOOOOVVEE to get his hands on the master for ADITL. Imagine how those orchestral crescendo's might sound with the breath of life? Land of Hope and Dreams indeed.

21. wes

wes Senior Member

It's tough.............Mine's between 3................
    Strawberry Fields, In My Life, or I am the Walrus..............

I'll pick "In My Life."..................Beautiful simple love song without being too sappy................

-Wes

22. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

ADITL - best pop song - not for this dude (and I useta be quite the Beatlefan)... I decided to take the approach of when a song came out, then seeing what happened because of it. Steve beat me to Louie, Louie (how many songs have ripped that song and stolen hunks off its carcass..) and That's All Right (wanna be Elvises/Elvii may line up here). Rock Around the Clock didn't occur to me, but poor Bill Haley had that 40 year old fat guy who could be your dad look - and look at the floodgates it opened... In this context, ADITL opened the door to albums taking months or even years to finish - not a good thing if you crave spontaneous, horny teenaged hormone charged tunes to make your skull throb - we gotta spring forward to the Ramones first lp as a welcome breath of fresh air (and why the hell didn't Rockaway Beach crack the charts???). 3 hours inna studio and 4 songs coming out is good if you ask me; punching in geetar solos from 3000 miles away, and we'll fix it in the mix just don't move me. I'll go with Chuck Chuck Bo-Buck's Roll Over Beethoven for it's astounding opening - you're dead if you don't get excited by that! :D

23. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled meeeeee!

Not to me.

24. Grant

Alright Jim!!! I feel the same way about this song.:D

25. Grant

Well, what DO you think, Steve?

I don't think it qualifies. It is the most sobering track on the album, as it was meant to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.