Is anybody else having problems digitizing their Abbey Road box sets.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Detroit Rock Citizen, Sep 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital Thread Starter

working on that right now

2. Detroit Rock Citizen

not even close

3. strippies

strippies Forum Resident

Something like this used to be very rare. The only disc in my collection that springs to mind is the first disc of the 2012 Roxy Music complete works box set.

'manufactured by optimal media GmbH'

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    c-eling and patient_ot like this.
  4. Detroit Rock Citizen

I had this same problem with the Sgt Pepper box. Disc 2. I sent two copies back and they gave me back my money and told me to keep the third

Lewisboogie likes this.
  5. theorego

theorego Forum Resident

This is the first time I've had issues ripping a Beatles Blu-ray via MakeMKV & DVD Audio Extractor.

The first attempt using the "Auto" setting in MMKV seemed to work but DVDAE couldn't extract the tracks. Kept hanging up.

Second attempt using the "CellWalk" setting failed miserably. 3rd time was charm using the "CellTrim" setting which finally worked!!

Theo

jfeldt, TonyCzar and ccbarr like this.
  6. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I found that when using EAC in Paranoid mode, if I selected 1 track at a time, extracted it, then ejected the disc and put it back in for the next track it worked better.

Paranoid mode isn't ideal, but it still checks for errors and sync issues. I'm not glad this is happening to others, but I thought maybe my PC was giving out, couldn't believe how much trouble those 2 CDs gave. I'm not the only one it seems.

TonyCzar, Crimson Witch and strippies like this.
  7. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

I tried burning the main cd from the box set- kept failing. I also bought a 2-cd version. I was able to burn that one ok.
    I was able to burn the outake cds from the box set but they took longer than usual, burner was struggling more than usual but I got it done.

between this and the blu-ray issues- wonder whats going on here.

8. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

"Because" on disc 1 seems glitchy for me. Haven't listened further than that yet. Gonna try to rip it again after I listen to the rest and see if there are other errors.

I definitely had problems ripping my WA set too, though I was ultimately able to resolve them.

9. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Cut-rate CD manufacturing plants ?

10. Detroit Rock Citizen

The box was made in the EU.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  11. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

None of my newer Optimal Manufactures have given me any issues ripping.
    In case though I have multiple drive's of different vintage. It's come in handy over the years.

strippies and Crimson Witch like this.
  12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Plants that are cheaper and have lax QC.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  13. Detroit Rock Citizen

A way to drive us to stream?

14. I got the 2 CD edition and both discs ripped securely without issues in dBpoweramp CD Ripper for Windows.

Crimson Witch and Duophonic like this.
  15. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Thanks - giving the state of my hearing and that I am primarily using iTunes while driving, sadly, not sure I would notice the difference.

ccbarr, savemenow and strippies like this.
  16. This is the log file of the Remix CD included with the SDE, from JRiver using Secure Mode. I will try again with dBPower Amp in secure mode.

Secure Rip Log created at 16:01:51 Saturday, September 28, 2019 - Media Center 25.0.101

Abbey Road (50th Anniversary) - The Beatles >>> Drive /dev/rdisk3 3.10BD-RW BDR-XD05 Mode:Normal Type:IDE Speed:Max
    Track 1: Secure rip, no re-tries. [Come Together]
    Track 2: Secure rip, no re-tries. [Something]
    Track 3: Secure rip, no re-tries. [Maxwell's Silver Hammer]
    Track 4: Secure rip, no re-tries. [Oh! Darling]
    Track 5: Secure rip, no re-tries. [Octopus's Garden]
    Track 6: Secure rip, no re-tries. [I Want You (She's So Heavy)]
    Track 7: Secure rip, no re-tries. [Here Comes the Sun]
    Track 8: Secure rip, no re-tries. [Because]
    Track 9: Non-secure rip, 1% of sectors needed re-reading and 1% of sectors could not be verified. [You Never Give Me Your Money]
    00:03:34 Unreliable data after 16 re-read attempts
    00:03:57 2 re-reads required to get good data
    Track 10: Secure rip, no re-tries. [Sun King]
    Track 11: Secure rip, no re-tries. [Mean Mr. Mustard]
    Track 12: Secure rip, no re-tries. [Polythene Pam]
    Track 13: Secure rip, no re-tries. [She Came in Through the Bathroom Window]
    Track 14: Secure rip, no re-tries. [Golden Slumbers]
    Track 15: Secure rip, no re-tries. [Carry That Weight]
    Track 16: Non-secure rip, 2% of sectors needed re-reading and 1% of sectors could not be verified. [The End]
    00:01:35 Unreliable data after 16 re-read attempts
    00:01:58 2 re-reads required to get good data
    Track 17: Secure rip, no re-tries. [Her Majesty]

ispace, TonyCzar, ccbarr and 2 others like this.
  17. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Wow , seems like there’s a few problems cropping up with the set’s CD’s and Blu Ray, I’m surprised.

There should be no copyright/protection issues with the discs if you pay the money for the set.

ispace and ccbarr like this.
  18. No. All are well under 75 minutes. They are around 43 for the bonus discs. It must be a manufacturing error.

Andersoncouncil likes this.
  19. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

Bought the super deluxe set yesterday and I'm having problems with the main disc - only disc tried so far. All good up until Sun King, then on that and every track afterwards external LG drive sounds like it's doing a very quick 3-step waltz. Takes an age (like 30-60 seconds per track) to actually begin ripping each track. Still not wanting to rip Sun King or Bathroom Window.

Something's very wrong with this disc - as this drive is very reliable.

Will try on another drive in the next few days.

Edit: Finally ripped Sun King, though on playback half-way through a tapping sound commenced and the track played at double speed :(.

spanky1 and Lewisboogie like this.
  20. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

That's *ripped. Burning writes information on writable optical media; ripping copies information off of readable optical media.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  21. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

This really scares me. Makes me want to cherish my old CD's and not buy any new releases. I don't do streaming, don't do vinyl. I instantly rip any new CD's into itunes for Ipod listening.:(

22. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Never say “no” to streaming. It’s a great compliment to a physical collection.

23. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I just ripped Disc 1 of my 2-CD set using iTunes. Worked fine. No issues.

24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

No. the record companies in the U.S. are NOT using copy protection. especially since Sony was sued years ago for their rootkit.

I had absolutely no problem ripping the CDs with EAC in Windows 10 with my $20 Asus drive.

Carl80 and Crimson Witch like this.
  25. danner

danner Forum Resident

I had a really hard time trying to get my discs to rip last night. It kept getting hung up right around "Mean Mister Mustard." I tried in dBpoweramp and iTunes and had similar issues. I finally just sat back and let it take its time, and after about 30 minutes, it finally finished the first disc. I just gave my rip a listen, and yep, things get pretty skippy right around "Mean Mr. Mustard."

Lewisboogie and ccbarr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.