Is anybody else having problems digitizing their Abbey Road box sets.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Detroit Rock Citizen, Sep 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Disc 1 crashed CueRipper 2.1.6 for me after about 60%. Tried it in burst mode and same thing. I'm going to try some of the other secure/acuraterip software.

patient_ot, Lewisboogie and ccbarr like this.
  2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

:rolleyes:

3. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I cant get iTunes to recognize disc 1 yet

Lewisboogie likes this.
  4. Well you don't have to buy or listen to it! Good for you! The rest of us, on the other hand, are enjoying it as an alternative to the original.

cwitt1980 and Gaslight like this.
  5. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Thread crap on aisle 4. Bring a mop.

6. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Everything appears to have ripped ok on mine. Disc 3 was a little slow. I wiped all the discs with a soft cloth before ripping. ITunes software. Error correction on. Cheap external optical drive.

7. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

Can anyone confirm that all 3 discs play error free?

8. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

I switched from CUERipper to EAC, and the CDs are ripping fine now, but extremely slow (~2x speed). Also getting errors on the blu-ray backup in makeMKV. Hash check errors on 0006.mt2s

TonyCzar, ccbarr and patient_ot like this.
  9. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Ripped both outtake CDs and the Blu-Ray Audio disc this evening without any problems.

ccbarr likes this.
  10. MusicFan57

MusicFan57 Forum Resident

All 3 of mine played error free and ripped error free.

11. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I can confirm the two sessions discs do play perfect after I ripped them. Took multiple tries, in paranoid mode, but they both sound perfect.

I didn't even try to rip the first disc, I was able to extract the 24/96 from the BD. Didn't want to go through the headache of ripping the first disc.

Lewisboogie and Leviathan like this.
  12. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Have there been similar reports on other Forums? What about on the big commerce sites like Amazon? They usually pull titles if they start to receive error reports like this.

I'm wondering whether we need to get more formal in the success/failure reports to try to determine what is causing this issue (I haven't had a chance to check my own SDE copy yet). Barring Japan, are all the sets for other territories made in Germany? Do we need to catalog:

1. disc matrix numbers
    2. CD/DVD/BD drive used
    3. ripping software used
    4. special considerations (secure mode, paranoid, mode, etc.?)
    5. success/failure
    6. additional comments

Do the discs play error free in CD or BD players? Has anyone compared their rips to downloaded versions? Are they the same? Are the CDs in the non SDE editions the same (they should be for the common material)?

ispace, TonyCzar, strippies and 2 others like this.
  13. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

The DVD drive in my PC is a plds dvd+-rw du-8a5lh. Basically a cheap Dell drive, came with the PC. I have an external BD drive, it is a Pioneer BDR=XDO5S. Not high end but it works very well. For the two bonus discs I used EAC in paranoid mode. I tried using secure, but it would just take forever on a track, get to about 60% and then have a sync error. Once I switched to paranoid, I found it worked best to just select 1 track, rip it, eject the disc, and rinse and repeat.

For the BD I used Make MKV to back up the disc, and DVD Audio Extractor for the rest. Had no problems at all with the BD. I'll try to get the matrix numbers later, the CDs play perfectly on all my CD players, even in the PC. Ripping them was the issue.

14. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Had no problem ripping the CDs. Except that the rip of “Her Majesty” skipped a couple of seconds just towards the end. That’s a rare issue when it comes to ripping. Haven’t played the CD itself to see what’s going on there.

In any case, I didn’t like the sound of the CD rip in my car anyway. I’m in the process of ripping and converting the stereo files off the BD which supposedly isn’t compressed. Seems to be going well so far.

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

No one reported it.

16. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

Both the sessions discs had problems too - more towards the end of the disc. The disc with Here Comes the Sun as one of the last tracks, when ripped, jumps all over the place as well as having scratching sounds.

Not having a Blu Ray player to check that disc out concerns me, as there are reports of it not playing properly.

About to try another computer with different drive altogether with the three CDs.

With regards to the software, my LG's connected a MacBook Pro and I use iTunes ; I'm of the understanding it's the drive that is either able or unable to read, not the software. I guess the software does give "instructions", and the instructions may differ from program to program.

If this next try doesn't work I'll see if I can dig out a very old drive that can rip very slowly - that may assist.

17. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I think I've finally gotten a clean rip of all three discs. But after several frustrating attempts I've become a bit paranoid and will only consider the case closed after I listen to the complete set on headphones.

When In Rome likes this.
  18. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

To make matters worse, we now have a thread in Music about playback issues of both the Blu-Ray and CDs in regular players, i.e., NOT ripping, but playing:

Abbey Road Blu-ray issues

A few posters have mentioned some kind of defect on the Blu-Ray disc when viewed under strong light.

Gorts: no idea whether the threads should be merged or not, as one deals with ripping issues and the other playback issues, though the cause and outcome could be the same in both cases.

superstar19 likes this.
  19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Considering one is about the Blu, I'd say leave 'em separate. Different issues, different software.

ispace and Lost In The Flood like this.
  20. I got my Amazon.ca set today. I had already gotten a set from Bullmoose that had the same ripping issues others are reporting.

The Canuck remix disc was better than the BM disc, but dBPower Amp still needed to re-rip a couple frames on one track. The 1st of the two sessions disc had over 10k frames it needed to try and re-read on track 6. I aborted. No point checking disc 3....they are all defective. I have not yet checked the Canuck BR.

I had hoped that maybe this was limited to a production batch, but if so, Bullmoose and Amazon.ca appear to have come from the same run, or all product is bad.

For those ripping to iTunes thinking all is well, iTunes won't tell you if you have bad frames or sectors unless the disc is massively damaged. The only way to know is to rip with a secure ripper.I have access to dBPower Amp and JRiver and both report errors.

Has anyone attempted to contact Universal or Apple? I am sure Amazon.ca and Bullmoose will replace the sets or provide a refund, but I would very much prefer non-defective replacement discs.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    marklamb likes this.
  21. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I used MakeMKV and ripped the BluRay without issue. I then ripped the two extra tracks CD's using Foobar, again with no issue.
    I did not try the stereo album CD. No issues here.

22. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I did not have any issues when ripping my Bullmoose set. I ripped the Blu-ray with MakeMKV and Audiomuxer and the two session CDs with EAC in secure mode. I have not yet had time for a listening session. I've only spot checked the sound.

23. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

I ripped mine to iTunes tonight ~ no problems. The only problem I now have with the latest iTunes is that I cannot sync new photos to iPad or iPhone, but that’s another story :mad:

24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Oh god... Do you know which CDs exactly had that 'bonus'?

Crimson Witch likes this.
  25. rlp

rlp Forum Resident

No problems extracting any of the CDs (using EAC) or audio from the Blu-Ray (using MakeMKV).

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.