Is anybody else having problems digitizing their Abbey Road box sets.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Detroit Rock Citizen, Sep 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

Last night I used XLD on my MacBook Pro and was able to rip all 3 CDs with no errors the first time. Now I’m wondering if it was just matching other CDs that had the same errors? I’ll have to listen back to hear if there are any errors.

quicksrt likes this.
  2. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

I'm not sure if there is a special EAC database. I always thought EAC matched back to the AccurateRip (AR) database. XLD and dbpoweramp both use AR database. The odds of even two CDs having the *exact* same frame errors are probably 1 in a billion (or trillion). That is, extremely unlikely (actually I'd call this essentially impossible). Thus a match back to the AR database is the best evidence one can have for a bit perfect rip (assuming more than one match, as a single match could actually be your own submission). Errors can certainly be on a CD and show up in the rips. But this sort of error is on every CD and is not a ripping error.

Leviathan likes this.
  3. may1620

may1620 Forum Resident

I took me several tries with a variety of software and drives before I successfully ripped the tracks. The problem isn't that it can't be done, it is that the set has mush less value going forward. How many times would you have to process returns from unhappy buyers if you sold a nice pristine set on ebay, for example.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I think that there could be a pressing defect that indeed shows up exactly the same on a large batch of discs, it's the only explanation if poster is writing out his problem correctly. However, discs seem to play fine which may not mean pressing defect?

You are saying you think EAC uses the same Accuraterip database but are not completely sure at this time?

5. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

pressing defect could cause match if all these CDs are defective in exactly the same way. This is unlikely. I don't use EAC, but always thought that it simply used the AccurateRip database for matches. Im 99.9% sure EAC uses AccurateRip. The only other database I'm aware of for matching rips is via CUETOOLS.

edit: the log EAC gives you should even report the AR values. You can check that.

6. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

It's been several months since this topic has been discussed. Has anyone contacted the manufacturer about replacements? I hadn't listened to mine since I unsuccessfully tried to rip it several months ago. Played through some of the tracks that were unsuccessfully ripped, and are skipping and thought I'd revisit this thread.

ispace likes this.
  7. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I exchanged boxes with Amazon 3 times — I think I finally have the problems solved.

spanky1 likes this.
  8. sweetdudejim

sweetdudejim Forum Resident

That's crazy that now I see this thread. I had the same problem. I ended up just purchasing a few tracks off of iTunes to complete the digital album (which I really don't listen to anyways). The tracks I really wanted to rip, ripped fine (the outtakes), but still what a pain.

ispace, Lewisboogie and superstar19 like this.
  9. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I contacted Universal music(that's where I bought it), and was told that since it's been over 60 days, it's just too bad(I paraphrased). I wonder how many sets have been returned for this reason?

@lewis Boogie(I'm a big JLL fan), did Amazon send a return tag for your set?

ispace likes this.
  10. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

It's been over a year, and I actually purchased a second set, this time from Amazon. Same issues, and this one was worse than the set I bought a year ago. I know there were discussions about bad batches of these, but I bought these a year apart. Using dBpoweramp, getting multiple re-rip errors, some over 1000. I've tried 2 different cd drives.

I don't know that I've been this frustrated in my 30+ years of cd buying. These sets are garbage! How can one of the biggest media companies release a deluxe set of one of the biggest albums of all time, and have these types of issues? How was there not a re-issue of faulty discs? Were there not enough of the super deluxe edition sold?

Another question, why were these issues not present in the Sgt. Pepper and White Album deluxe sets?

11. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Yeah, I had a very hard time copying or ripping one track — the alternate take of Here Comes The Sun — at the end of one of the CDs. Finally got it to work using Exact Audio Copy, which is freeware.

spanky1 likes this.
  12. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

I had problems ripping all three CDs using EAC V1.4. Sometime later, when EAC was updated to V1.5, I was able to get accurate rips of all three discs. Same CDs, same drive, same computer. The only thing that changed was the software version.

13. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital Thread Starter

My white album was fine (I didn't purchase it from Amazon). It took me four different boxes of Pepper (disc 2, 3 and the blu ray were the culprites) to get a complete set that worked ( I purchased it from Amazon). A.F.A. Abbey it took the second box before I got a working set.

Lewisboogie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.