Is anyone still buying / using standalone FM Tuners (or integrated)?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheVinylAddict, May 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found Thread Starter

You have some nice tuners there!!

As far as the website --- I already know what brand tuner I want --- I recently bought an Accuphase preamp (C-2410) and the matching era tuners like the T-1000 or T-1100 are pretty sweet! (the T-1100 is pushing past the price I can justify given how much I will use it - but the T-1000 can be had for a decent price if you shop).

The Accuphase T-100 from the 70's gets a LOT of love as an all time classic, as are some of the later T-10<x> tuners in the 100 series through the 70's and 80's. Those can be had for uner $500 if you shop.

Your link touches on some of these early Accuphase tuners by the way -- so good link!!! :)

Most aren't familiar with Accuphase (I know you are), but I am quickly becoming an Accuphase fan!

2. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

I had an Accuphase T-101 in the 70s, their least expensive tuner ever. Even it was VERY nice. The T-100 was better and only a little more expensive, at that time.

I have also had an Onkyo 9090, a Tandberg and a Revox. The Tandberg was really awesome.

But again, all for just two favorite stations in Los Angeles, KUSC and KJZZ

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  3. TheVinylAddict

The T-100 holds a near cult status for ones that are fully restored, they still get a lot of love from Accuphase fans!

I've been listening to KJZZ here in the Phoenix area for the last couple of days - they have two stations now - one is news in the day, music at night, and the other one seems to have music 24x7. (not 100% sure as I haven't seen what happens to the programming in the evening - only day listening so far and there are two stations active in the day).

But the Jazz selection, signal, is great --- just like I remember when I was listening to it in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Good stuff.... first time I tuned it in for years! I am currently using my Denon x7200WA and its tuner to pull in the signal.... doesn's sound half bad.... but of course a nice tuner will only make it better.

I think I will go for the Accuphase, you helped push me over the edge!!! -)

4. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

I thought really really hard about an accuphase as a second tuner (and I needed to send my tu717 off) that was in decent shape and I had been chatting with the guy, sounded like he took really good care of it.

That is when a 20 buck something yamaha t-85 showed up, great little analog signal path in a digital shell. my 717 will barely edge it out. Can't wait to get it back!

bluesky likes this.
  5. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Although I believe in the spirit of local radio, it is dead for me now due to nothing left in my area. I've moved on to Internet Radio. I've grown fond of Radio Paradise due to it's human-curated nature. Plus it is lossless quality now.

6. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

We used to call the T-100 and T-101 "Japintosh", because the internal construction was so impressive to look at.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  7. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

I havent used my tuner in years, I did sell my parasound tuner years back, no regrets, I play Sirius in the car or CDs, and lps at home. iPod on shuffle, that’s it. Am, f is the Pits! Nuff said.

8. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

1980 Sansui TU-717. Love it, super fine sound quality, it's amazing really. It's an audiophile tuner. I had it gone over years ago too.

The TU-717 has been in the closet for years, stored in the box of course. Now I now only listen to the radio in the garage on a JVC boombox radio when working - and sometimes in the car.

The 'biggest problem' is it doesn't fit in my TT rack - & I love my TT rack! :)

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  9. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Would you sell the TU-717? I'd be interested.

10. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Do you get the analogue feeds on your cable, or do you get them in digital format? Over here the cable companies used to offer all local FM stations in analogue on the cable, but since the early 2000s they actually deleted several that are available locally (apparently because the radio stations refused to pay). This year they stopped all analogue television and radio on cable, but they added the bulk of the local stations in digital format. There are about 30 local FM stations here, but in the middle of the city there's no hope of getting them all hiss free. Cable (in eithe rformat). or internet is your only option.

11. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Almost 10 years ago I asked a question in this forum about the idea of upgrading my MD 101A Etude. I was told 'what's the point? FM will be dead and gone in a few years'. :D

If you have a access to a number of good FM stations in your area, I don't see any reason why you won't enjoy having a decent tuner in your system.

12. TheVinylAddict

In addition to an analog tuner I am considering trying out an HD Tuner just for fun........ of course there is the Sangean HDT-20, seems popular, but has anybody seen, heard or tried the Denon DN-300H or 300DH? Denon DN-300DH

Likewise, I noticed by Yamaha (T-S500) and NAD (C 427) both offer new analog tuners -- what are those like compared to a good vintage like a Sansui TU-717, L07TII, T-100 or other good ones?

13. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

I have my dad's original Dynaco FM-2 tube tuber from the early 60's (with the original faceplate) that is in dire need of being refurbished. Hasn't seen the light of day for 40 years!! Would like to refurb to listen to University of Louisiana's KRVS, and also for sentimental reasons. Anyone know of someone that specializes in refurbing vintage Dynaco gear?

14. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Sorry, Dynaco FM-3.

15. Guth

Guth Music Lover

The vintage tuner that I purchased a few years ago was a Sansui TU-717. I found a mint example at a good price. The TU-717 is such a gorgeous tuner and I had read so many good things about it that I was really hoping I would find it preferable to my MD90. In the end the Sansui was sold only a couple of weeks later while the Magnum Dynalab still remains. What is really disappointing is that the TU-717 would have looked awesome all lit up in my living room at night. I would describe the looks of the Magnum Dynalab as a bit more of an "acquired taste". One that I've never fully warmed up to. But when it comes to sound quality it is hard to beat.

Benzion likes this.
  16. zeppage2

zeppage2 Forum Resident

DeWick Repairs

Give him a call when he gets back into town. He is impossibly busy and seemingly has a 4 month backlog of work. I would investigate how to ship that unit (probably with the tubes removed and placed in a separate box).

17. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Thx.

18. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

Have multiple FM tuners still going strong. AM is more my thing, though. Much better programming there (music wise, at least...)

19. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

They are in digital format. They used to be offered in analog, but that was over 10 years ago.

anorak2 likes this.
  20. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

I use the old grace digital internet radio rack with fm tuner tuner. I can get real good sounding stations formats in Berlin and a lot in dutch the called chroma lounge. I haven't really paid attention to the fm but I can still get some local channels. on top of that I have a media card insert and so far I can load almost 256 gig of ALAC files. the only thing I don't like about this is the navigation on the remote. other than that its been great for 7 years now.
    in the next 2 months my other system is gonna be ready so I'll be needing to get another tuner. I was thinking about trying the Bluesound NODE 2i.

21. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I am using a Denon TU604CI as a stand alone tuner. I acquired it at the ridiculous price of about $100. I have the FM module but not the HD module. I love the tuner-the limitation is a dearth of good FM stations. I also use Sirius/XM which is limited by poor sound quality. I use my antenna base portable unit to sent signal to my vintage Telefunken Opus 6 tubed Radio as a receiver on its FM band.

22. Classic Car Guy

European boom box of the 50's! How much premium for the sirus nowadays?

23. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I purchased a lifetime Sirius subscription about 15(?) years ago on a special offer for $250.00 one time payment. Good deal!

24. Classic Car Guy

that's a deal...

Daedalus likes this.
  25. DeeKay

DeeKay Forum Resident

Much of my local FM content is either not my taste, heavily compressed or both so I mainly listen to the BBC stations. I use the HD BBC streams through a Naim ND5 & AN DAC for convenience and they sound good.

If there’s something particular on FM I want to listen to though, it’s my Naim NAT02 coupled to the Ron Smith Galaxie 17 that can really make it an event. Some of the BBC Radio 3 broadcasts on FM can be stunning. It’s switched off all other times though and I sometimes consider it wasted on me and consider letting it go but it should get some use again soon: BBC Radio 3 - BBC Proms - Unveiling the 2020 BBC Proms

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.