Is anyone using Quibi?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Carrman, May 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident Thread Starter

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

No as it seems it would be annoying only being able to watch it in 10 minute spurts as it’s touted to be made for stupid stuff like waiting in line or on a quick subway ride or something like that. Only one show looked any interesting anyway but yet probably not that great. It was the one about having to stay alive for the next 24 hours or something like a tv version of the movie The Game. I just don’t see this service taking off. Way too much competition as it is already thus making content too scattered and if you want it all it’s going to cost as much if not more than cable already does.

3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

This is just like Snapchat's little free shows but they're charging for this?

Hell no.

4. hubertfarnsworth

hubertfarnsworth Forum Resident

My brother starred in one of their first ads, but even that didn't get me interested.

5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

6. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

As a former employee of Ms. Whitman, I can say I am fairly bursting with schadenfreude at the moment. :tiphat: Petty, I know, but her particular brand of Vulture Capitalism needs to die a quick death...

CDV and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  7. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

Quibi was supposed to be revolutionary: A video service that was supposed to fill the gap between YouTube and HBO by bringing short, “premium” clips starring celebrities like Liam Hemsworth and Chrissy Teigen to your phone, for a price.

The trouble was that nobody else perceived a gap there, and if people wanted celebrities they could get them in plenty on Youtube for nothing.

8. CDV

CDV Forum Resident

She'll get a golden chute anyway.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

10. MikaelaArsenault

11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Youtube, Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, even Facebook if you're desperate. :laugh:

RIP Quibi. We hardly knew ye and cared even less.

12. MikaelaArsenault

13. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Interesting. I just started watching a few weeks ago due to a free 6 month trial through T-Mobile.

I watched the new Reno 911 and Flipped (with Will Forte). Neither were very good (though Forte and Kaitlin Olsen were typically great). Also watched a few episodes of The Game. Fairly impressed with the production values. I didn't hate the concept. Nice way to spend 30-40 minutes while waiting in the car for something like my kid's dentist appointment.

Since Quibi didn't own most (any???) of the content, I'm sure it'll all show up elsewhere.

14. MikaelaArsenault

Quibi does not own the rights to any of their programming, since their deals with the creators of their original programming allowed them to retain the copyright to their content and distribute it in traditional forms after a few years.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2020
    BeatleJWOL and kouzie like this.
  15. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I like to think I'm fairly aware of what's happening in entertainment and tech trends, but gotta admit this Quibi didn't stick on one brain cell in my aging noggin. I basically heard about it yesterday after it imploded. :shrug:

I really don't know how you blaze through $2 billion in several months.

dan c

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That would be a no. Not anymore.

BeatleJWOL and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  17. MikaelaArsenault

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.