Is Class ‘D’ amplification a serious contender?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, May 22, 2020.

1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

I started this thread mainly as I am interested in how the Bel Canto E1X might work with my Klipschorns. The amp runs a few bucks so experienced feedback would help. Unfortunately it’s so new.
    Back in the seventies I ran a large pro JBL 3 way system bi amped by an MC 2205 and MC 250.

patient_ot likes this.
  2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Have you seen this?

Bel Canto e1X power amplifier Measurements

Looks like Benchmark is still the Class D king, at least for now. Bel Canto has more power though. You would need two Benchmark amps to have the power the Bel Canto provides.

Khorn likes this.
  3. I bought my Class D Pioneer SC LX-76 out of the blue. I have a friend who works at the Hi Fi department at the biggest department stores franchise in Spain. He knew I was looking, no rush, for a new AVR as the Marantz SR-7000 I had at the time was pre-HDMI era and in addition to having two SACD's players I was a BD early adopter. He also knew it had to be a Marantz as I've always been a Marantz guy.
    He called me one day and told me "come this afternoon-evening with some of your favourite SACDs and CD's, I have something new to show that I'm sure you'll like.
    I asked him if it was a Marantz and he answered no, then I replied "I'm not wasting my time going main town to listen something that's not a Marantz", but he convinced me anyway.
    I tested several SACD's (E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, The Film Music Of Jerry Goldsmith, Boston S/T, Thriller) and some Japanese Van Halen CD's.
    After my listening question I asked him "how long to get one?" and he said they have them in stock. So I spent 2000 Euros as I said, out of the blue, and came back home happy.
    When I set it up with the three front channels bi-ampped I was even happier, it's like if this thing had limitless power output without sacrificing a bit of sound quality. It actually trounced my old Marantz SR-7000 which got great reviews back in 2000.
    I call it "the Beauty and the Beast" as it's both, it has an imaging, a power output, a way to reproduced low level detail,every subtlety of music, that it has to be heard to be believed. And it's an AVR, not a stereo amp. I just love it.

4xoddic and cdgenarian like this.
  4. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Yup, well the Ncore anyway

Andy Saunders likes this.
  5. What kind of Class D IC's may be using Pioneer to make such good sounding AVR's?

6. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

The Benchmark is not class D. Also, if there is anything we learned decades ago it's that with amps, buying a n amp based on a sinad chart is a losing proposition. Often, people find those amps to sound dry or sterile. Preferences vary.

Benchmark Media Systems AHB2 power amplifier Page 2

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    312elements, DeFriend and macster like this.
  7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Correct. I was wrong. It seems to be a combo of different amp technologies. Very interesting in any case.

To the second point, no one said that, so calm down.

Specs and bench tests can be used to create a short list for OP's home audition. Relying blindly on cork-sniffer reviews also doesn't tell anyone much.

Have a nice day.

8. unclefred

I think you are projecting.

macster likes this.
  9. unclefred

I'm not sure about that model, but previous models employed icepower modules.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  10. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Not sure if you saw, but Stereophile did just release their review on the E1x Stereo.

Bel Canto e1X power amplifier

patient_ot and Khorn like this.
  11. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Seen that for a while now. From what I gather from the review and measurement comments are a competent to good performer with good but not great measurements that excelled in certain areas.
    I really would need a home audition before considering the putting out the bread required for purchase up here.

patient_ot likes this.
  12. gcurtis

gcurtis Well-Known Member

Pursued the thread here and didn't notice a mention of the Cherry (Digital Amp Co) class D amplifiers. Definitely worth a look if you're interested in class D. I had heard of them and the owner/engineer Tommie O'Brien some time ago. Read a few reviews and interviews out there, then kind of forgot about them until I was in the market recently for a new system.
    In a conversation with Spatial Audio's owner Clayton Shaw (absolute great guy), I mentioned I was also curious to try a Class D amp. He suggested Cherry, and that he had been using some Cherry monos in his current listening room for his new M5 Sapphire speakers (which I was interested in and have since bought), and gave only favorable remarks regarding the amps sound. He thought O'Brien (who apparently is quite well regarded in the electronics industry) was ahead of the curve in current class D design. All his modules are built in house (not ICE, Hypex or Pascals). He's been at it for some 25+ years. I was also interested and pretty consigned to buying a Benchmark AHB2 (class A/B, THX rated with a switching power supply). After talking with Clayton about each amp's characteristics I took a chance on a new-ish effort by Cherry, and wanting a one box solution rather than mono blocks, I chose the Cherry 2 Maraschino King version (same modules as their monos). Yeah, quite a name. It's rated at 200/400, plenty of power I thought for the 92db sensitive rated Spatials. And it is..
    I don't have a lot to compare it to, at least in my own system, but I have been quite pleased so far some 200 -300 hrs in on the "whole" new system. I was looking consolidate component count, go a little green (amp is some 96% efficient and very little heat of course. Benchmark doesn't run very hot for an A/B either) and add streaming capability. Looking to downsize basically, while increasing the SQ and versatility of my overall system without spending a stupid amount of money. So far I am pleased with result. Very smooth revealing and dynamic sound.
    System makeup is Spatial M5 speakers, Cherry amp, Mytek Brooklynn Bridge DAC/pre/streamer, Bel Canto CDT transport. Connected with Canare/Neutrik balance from Mytek to amp, Canare Neutrik 75 ohm digital cable for CD. Anti-Cables 2.1 speaker cables.
    Looking to get back into vinyl pretty soon too. I'd also like to try a comparable tube amp.. I'm pretty agnostic.
    Cheers

jusbe, 4xoddic and Khorn like this.
  13. Meletis

Meletis Member

Hello i am considering to buy one of this amplifier. Currently own a Rotel ra1520 paired with Kef r300.
    Why was so awful?
    Would i see a significant improvement?
    Worth the money?
    Thanks
    Mel

Khorn likes this.
  14. fish

fish Senior Member

Early last year I started building a new system to replace my low powered SET amps and crossover-less high efficiency speakers.

I got to know a few amps in friends systems (McIntosh, CJ, Nuforce and others) and was leaning towards a Class-D amp. They can be very SET amp sounding with plenty of power, when done right.

I looked at PS Audio, W4S, Bell Canto and a few others.

I tried the Marantz KI Ruby. A year later Im buying a Marantz PM-10 because I loved the sound of the Ruby so much.
    The PM-10 is superbly designed and made - its an Audiophile bargain at $9k. Many sell for around $7500 at one point or another.

I wanted the Macintosh but pound for pound you'd have to spend over $11k on one or settle for 100/200wpc for less $$.
    Even the KI Ruby is a bargain at $4k for that matter.
    Macintosh never go on sale. Neither do Luxman's.

On a bench the PM10 can sustain over 600 wpc into both 8 and 4 ohms. Limited duration do to its inability to remove heat generated!
    Marantz hinted to a higher output amp in the future using this same topography.

The KI Ruby has loads of power too. Its fast, dynamic and very detailed with a large soundstage. Some say they are warm and polite... compared to what is what i ask? If anyone buys one expecting it to be warm, lush and polite you'll be very disappointed.

tom1040, Leao, Khorn and 2 others like this.
  15. SteveFord

SteveFord Forum Resident

Tommy O'Brien, the man behind the Digital Amplifer Company, recently passed away.
    I'm not familiar with his products but I'm told they're really good.

Khorn likes this.
  16. unclefred

fish and Khorn like this.
  17. Leao

Leao Forum Resident

Has anyone had any in system experience with power amps, preamps or integrated amps assembled By Nord, Appollon et, al.

Khorn likes this.
  18. Grego

Grego Forum Resident

I’m running Purifi monoblocks from VTV. Happy with them, but I installed them in a temporary room so I can’t give a critical review of them. They’re in a less than idea situation. Im really looking forward to when I get them in my proper room (a few months of construction from now).

MaxBuck and Khorn like this.
  19. Bromo33333

Bromo33333 Forum Resident

The horns are about 105dB efficient, so a peak of 120dB would be driven by 30-40W. They don't need much to get to ear bleed. You could go solid state class A at about 30W or so and be blissful.
    Also not surprised that SETs work well. Even at 5-6W or so, you can hit 110+dB!

I secretly want a pair of them, but I have cast my die in the other direction (Thiel CS3.7's) which need tons of current.

Bananas&blow and Khorn like this.
  20. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

One thing to keep in mind about Class D it is just a term and not actually a digital amplifier there is no ones and zeros being transmitted it's still analogue the reason for the D-digital classification is that it is switching amp or PWM pulse wave modulation as opposed to the typical amplifier which is Linear in it's operation and yes they are serious contenders cause they run cooler than standard amps and are a lot more convenient less part less wait and from what I understand pricey

Bananas&blow, MaxBuck and Khorn like this.
  21. Rich-n-Roll

22. Bromo33333

I design (RF) amplifiers for a living. All that these so called "switched mode" amplifiers is to make sure the device is either all the way on (current with no voltage) or off (voltage with no current), and the trick is to minimise the transition time where you can have both, and hence dissipation. Lots of tradeoffs to minimize this, but all will have some impact. And then you will have essentially a "square wave" at the output that you need to filter the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th harmonics to get a pure sine wave. This filter is not trivial and can create some phase and amplitude distortion if not well done.

But with better devices, and improved techniques (and better more accurate circuit simulators!) more is possible. And if course in RF switch mode there is Class D, E, F and I think one person was promoting a G at one point. But all tend to be approaches to this general mode of operation.

It's ALL analog. But the technically, pendantic term would be "switch mode" since it is acting close to an ideal switch as you can manage. But it "nonlinear" for sure.

Slippers-on, Khorn and Rich-n-Roll like this.
  23. Bromo33333

IN RF circles that use these classes of amplification, it is called "switch mode" since you are essentially running your device like a switch.

Khorn likes this.
  24. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

No, Class D won't be your best bet. I'd recommend pure Class A if solid state or SET if tubes.

Khorn and Rich-n-Roll like this.
  25. Rich-n-Roll

Yes sir...a brillent stroke in amp design hence the low HD and almost no inter modulation almost scary to the point of being to perfect

Khorn likes this.