Is DAT dead or is DAT not?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by -=Rudy=-, Dec 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff Thread Starter

I've seen Tascam's DAT 24-bit deck. Didn't someone make a 24-bit/96kHz DAT deck at one point? (Why does Pioneer come to mind?)

If I were going to record anything, I'd debate whether or not I would use one of those 8-channel DAT recorders (both the ADAT/VHS type or 8mm), or just do multitrack on my computer using software. I like the standalone aspect of a separate recorder, but at the same time would like the convenience of having it on the computer for editing. Or better yet, I've seen those Tascam Portastudios with the built-in hard drive.

Just need to win that Mega Millions jackpot one of these days... ;-) And several months to remember those piano and sax lessons.

2. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Just sent a 60 Gig HD full of data to someone and fedex must have used the package as a foot ball. All it does is is click, click, click.

3. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

ADAT

4. handle

handle Forum Resident

I've got the Total Devo DAT

I got it somewhere aorund here. As a rule: a music format that does not have Devo on it isn't legimiate. And yes, that means SACD and DVD-A and mini-disc are not ready for primetime. Until there is Devo it is fraud. This includes 78s, Edison cylinders, Reel to Reel, Fisher Price records, etc.

Note: Devo is on the following formats:
    a)VHS (We're all Devo, Men Who make the Music.)
    b)Beta (Same as above)
    c)Laserdisc (Same as above plus The Truth About Devloution, Pioneer LD Demo disc)
    d)DVD (whip it is on some comp. DVD)
    e)CED (We're all Devo)
    f)Cassette (Almost all of there recordings)
    g)8-track (Are we not men, Duty Now, FOC, Nutras)
    h)DAT (Total Devo)
    i)CD (Most of there recordings)
    h)LP (most recordings until 1992)
    i)PPV and 3-D(1983 Halloween concert was pay per view via Closed Circuit TV and presented in 3-d for selected portions.)

5. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

You know there may be something to this... Devo was never on Digital Compact Cassette nor 8 track...

:)

6. -=Rudy=-

Re: ADAT

Wouldn't it save a step to just record it into the computer?

Someone needs to stop my eBay addiction. I've seen a couple of nice Tascam 2" multitrack decks, several ADAT machines (both the VHS and 8mm formats), and some of those hard-disk Portastudios (which are my favorite of the bunch). Fortunately I don't have the $$$ to buy so many toys. ;) And I haven't actually played music in many years either.

Slightly off-topic: last time I needed S-VHS tapes for my VCR, I bought some surplus "recorded once" cassettes that were either the professional-quality videotapes, or ADAT tapes. First thing that impressed me was how heavy these tapes were--the shells were a lot more substantial than the consumer-grade tapes. And the recording quality I got was better than any S-VHS consumer tape I'd purchased (less video noise, in the form of "snow" or dropouts). Price: $28.00/10. Only had trouble with one tape--the leader snapped off the reel on one of them. And that's easily fixed. Other than that, I've been very pleased! They also offer Hi8 blanks the same way, but i haven't tried those yet. I'm partial to the old and expensive Fuji M221-HE for my camcorder.

@%$#@&*!! Guess I won't buy that Elcaset deck after all!

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I had a Tascam DAT deck a couple of years ago. I bought it new from Oade Bros. to make compilations from CDs. No other format allows you to record 2 hours of CD-quality music (not considering hard drives). I loved the format, but because I had little time to make compilations, I sold the deck on eBay. I sometimes wish I hadn't sold it. The deck sounded great, but without pre-recorded material available on DAT, the deck sat idle most of the time. :(

8. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Haven't used a DAT in six years. Everyone here mixes to Alesis Masterlink, 1/2" analog or hard drive.

9. -=Rudy=-

That's my difficulty right now. I don't use it much, and with recordable CDs, use it far less than I used to. It was fun to use, actually...but time consuming. So, do I keep it, for those few times I'll need to copy something from a DAT to the hard disk, or do I sell it and not get much for it?

My only thought is that, like other mechanical components, they'll fall into disrepair from lack of use. Controls and solenoids will oxidize, rubber will harden, belts will stretch, oil and grease will solidify...and getting a DAT deck repaired is certainly more difficult than poking around the innards of a turntable or cassette deck.

10. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

So, run a tape in play all the way thru once a week or so, just to keep things smooth. just hit LP and forget it!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.