Is “Dedicated Listening” becoming a lost art?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Mark Shred

Mark Shred Fiery the angels fell..........

You could get them in a Desoto.

steveharris and Khorn like this.
  2. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

A turntable for cars already exists, it never skips, I promise!
    [​IMG]

steveharris and Khorn like this.
  3. CrimsonFan

CrimsonFan Forum Resident

Indeed Oele, but this does not transfer well to the “concert hall” :D :D
    During the Edinburgh Festival I recall a visiting Russian conductor who was not amused when confronted by an audience of typical Festival-goers who had a tendency to applaud BETWEEN Movements. One audience member even shouted at them, “HE’S NOT FINISHED!!!” :D:D

Gramps Tom, Oelewapper and Khorn like this.
  4. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

Most of us pro orchestra players are mostly worried about playing badly in front of our colleagues and conductors. We try to be in the zone, be in the moment, play with conviction and courage, but it becomes difficult, day after day. And the bar is impossibly high, with the level of edited recordings.

Sometimes I am grateful I play in a provincial orchestra, where I can take more chances, at the risk of not executing a passage perfectly, and rarely worrying about having my employment being terminated (although I made a doozy back in 2019 that caused me lots of stress afterwards).

Those special moments when the entire band (or almost so) are in that zone together, are very rare but make it all worthwhile. Those are the concerts where lots of us go out for beers to celebrate afterwards. Getting rarer, the older I get. The young ‘uns are way more conservative and self-controlled than us old farts!

5. Gregalor

Gregalor Forum Resident

Yeah I’m sorry to report that almost all of my music listening is in my Honda Fit that’s horrible about road noise.

Gramps Tom and Khorn like this.
  6. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

At least you’re still listening.

Gramps Tom likes this.
  7. Neonknight1

Neonknight1 Forum Resident

Actually this is pretty much par for the course. Older generations of people complaining that younger generations don't do the same things or don't subscribe the same level of importance to events or items that older generations deem important.

From what I have heard over the years this is the way it has always been, and will probably continue to be.

8. CrimsonFan

CrimsonFan Forum Resident

There was a time when the aspirational priorities were :
    1. A house
    2. A car
    3. A Hi-Fi System (for dedicated listening) :)

…and when you achieved those 3 you had reached the pinnacle of success. :D :D

9. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I just play the stereo system and enjoy the chosen album. Nothing more to it except for maybe a few Coors Lights. Do I enjoy my equipment? Of course, I love my gear! But the stereo is there to play music. The music isn't there for the stereo.

I've personally never 'dedicated listened' to any album that I'm aware of. Maybe one song on one specific album sometimes - but that's it. Like listening to Analog Man 7X in a row, and then the last song on the album 5X in a row! :)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    Khorn likes this.
  10. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

Yes, it is.

Though it also depends a lot upon your relationship with music; for most today it's aural wallpaper.

The years of excitedly putting on a new album and sitting down and listening to it in its entirety, then playing it again have largely gone away unless you're making a YouTube "reaction" video. :sigh:

Khorn likes this.
  11. Khorn

The joy I gain from the indulged listening is irreplaceable.

acefactory, Swann36, Linger63 and 4 others like this.
  12. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

I would say that "dedicated listening" is my preferred way of enjoying music. At home I don't really put on stuff as "background" music, I'd rather sit in the sweet spot and appreciate the instrumentation/vocals without distractions (except for maybe reading online forums or liner notes, which don't interfere with the audible experience). I like listening in the car because I can crank the volume up a lot more, but I wouldn't really call it a "dedicated" experience since so much more of my attention is required to paying attention to the task of driving.

acefactory, sjas1962 and Khorn like this.
  13. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

It's Annette Funicello. The photo has appeared on numerous websites, including the photo one here at SHF....

Ted Torres Jr and Khorn like this.
  14. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Sitting in a comfortable chair facing a stereo system certainly appears to be a pastime for a small segment of the population, but I do it almost every day. It’s full-length albums for the most part, and very often albums I’ve heard from start to finish many times.

acefactory, GyroSE, Dpaul and 4 others like this.
  15. Khorn

Should’ve known :agree:

Gramps Tom and Ted Torres Jr like this.
  16. Frank Bisby

Frank Bisby Forum Resident

To me focused, critical or dedicated listening is work. I’m trying to accomplish something without distraction. Listening to something for the first time, comparing pressings or a change in equipment. I’m not saying that is not for fun but when I’m just having fun and being entertained by listening to music, I’m not going to sit still like I’m in the cockpit of a fighter jet. I enjoy listening to music with other people as a social activity. While working on less challenging tasks, exercising or driving is a fine time to listen. What I don’t like doing to listening to music while the TV is on. A football game on mute and a album playing isn’t for me. Oddly, I don’t like to listen to music while eating. Music while cooking is fine but when I sit down to eat I have to turn it off.

but the point being, If it’s something I’ve heard of before on a system I’m familiar with, I’m not all that dedicated.

acefactory and Khorn like this.
  17. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I think music had to share time with TV/video at first and now there’s also gaming and social media… the more ways of home entertainment there is, the less likely one is to invest significant time into just one form of home entertainment.
    For example, I do like gaming, so when I’m at home it’s either gaming or music.
    During the week, especially if I’ve been at the office for a long time, I’ve passed away enough time behind the screen so I prefer music.
    But during the weekend, music often has a lower priority and I tend to prefer gaming.

However, I do believe the “vinyl revival” is partially a counter movement, due to the fact that more and more people are getting enough of staring at a screen all the time.

Gramps Tom and Khorn like this.
  18. Khorn

I mean dedicated to be all involving engrossed enjoyment of the music.
    Critical listening I put as analysts of the music, the presentation of same or the recording/reproduction equipment itself.

acefactory and Gramps Tom like this.
  19. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

Hmm... I don't perceive complaining. At least I am not complaining, but simply observe. In any event, the artists have accomplished their goal: The Sale.

Agreed. Except, in my case, a loving, dedicated, and loyal wife rests at #1. Because, SHE makes the house a home, then approves the car and Hi-Fi system purchases, making them more enjoyable, in addition to all the upgrades and media purchases. THAT, in my experience, has proven to be the pinnacle of success. YMMV, though....

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  20. Frank Bisby

Indeed. I find it odd that so many people can’t relate to that experience or find it pleasurable.

PooreBoy, Dpaul, CrimsonFan and 5 others like this.
  21. Frank Bisby

A distinction without a difference for me. If I’m that engaged I’m not turning off the thinking.

Khorn likes this.
  22. izeek

izeek Drums, pulleeez!

yea, i can see not as many people listening critically anymore. thats my term, too, critical listening.
    i dont mind listening while i do other things. i like watching sports with the music up and the tv volume at where i can make out some commentary. we can talk and do other things at the same time and still enjoy it.
    but, i definitely pull out my fold-up chair(really), place it in the marked spot, sit down with some refreshments, listen into the music, and appreciate how my gear is performing for a few hours. and as many times as i can get it in.
    i dont mind casual listening as thats when i find new stuff because im on an artist's station or some playlist and its playing in the background. if it's good enough to catch my ear under that, i fave it, then go back later and listen more closely.
    i feel like if youre the kind of person who likes music more deeply, youre a part of a somewhat small group all things considered. all us in here kinda folk.
    the kool part of convenient music is that now more people are listening to more music than ever before exactly because of it's convenience.
    as long as you get in where you fit in its all good to me. id rather you listen period, lol.

acefactory, Morbius and Khorn like this.
  23. izeek

izeek Drums, pulleeez!

we are music athletes.

24. gakerty

gakerty Forum Resident

At the very least, every time a new record comes in, I will do "dedicated listening". Actually, pretty much anytime I put on a record I will be listening intently (and enjoying it!), whereas with streaming I may not even listen to the entire album without skipping tracks or switching to another artist.

CrimsonFan, bever70 and izeek like this.
  25. Khorn

Strange. I can’t make that distinction between good sources.

26. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

I thought it was called zoning out…

I mean really… my wife sees me staring at the walls for an hour or two, she must think my mind is totally gone.