Is Denny Laine really on Wings Wild Life album ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Strangely, "Cat Call" by The Chris Barber Band in 1967 (!!!) was credited to McCartney only. Not sure how that one eluded the Lennon/McCartney credit. Even if Paul wrote it all circa 1960, it still should have been assigned to both of them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    theMess and slane like this.
  2. Arnold Grove

Even "Thingumybob" in 1968 was credited to both Lennon and McCartney (although in the USA, the 45 said "McCartney & Lennon", with that specific order and with the Ampersand), so I'm not sure how "Cat Call" only credited Macca.

[​IMG]

theMess likes this.
  3. Arnold Grove

And here is "Penina" (credited to just McCartney)---both versions by Jotta Herre and Carlos Mendes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

theMess likes this.
  4. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Wasn't the Family Way soundtrack the first solo McCartney credit?

theMess and Arnold Grove like this.
  5. Arnold Grove

I was just going to mention that. I do believe that the credit may say only "Paul McCartney", but Paul felt guilty and he made sure that half of the royalties also went to John:

[​IMG]

theMess likes this.
  6. slane

slane Forum Resident

Correct.

Maybe because the song was learned directly from Paul, it was just assumed it should be credited to 'McCartney'? (I wonder if John shared the royalties?)

theMess likes this.
  7. slane

slane Forum Resident

As was Mary Hopkin's 'Goodbye' (Lennon-McCartney, even though John had no input).

theMess likes this.
  8. Arnold Grove

About "Penina": See the last paragraph of this article from August 1969, which says that there were some necessary negotiations with Northern Songs to release the song. So if Northern Songs was involved, it theoretically should have said "Lennon/McCartney". It could have been a mistake though. It's still also possible that John and Paul always shared in the royalties since maybe all the royalties just went into one big pot, so to speak, and then John and Paul were just sent equal amounts.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    Hep Alien, theMess and slane like this.
  9. James Fenway

James Fenway New Member

10. slane

slane Forum Resident

Interesting - though I think the article is a bit misleading (or confused) about Jotta Herre 'getting the song for nothing'. No one had to actually pay money (the article mentions that each Northern Song is worth around £22,000) to record a song - the income is generated by sales of the record and then paid to the publisher/writer.

theMess likes this.
  11. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I thought the group Jotta Herre was from the Netherlands.

12. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Well, folks, I finally bit the bullet and bought a used copy of the Wild Life LP yesterday for six bucks...Canadian Apple original. Not the Columbia reissue I wanted, but a good deal just the same. And, with the aid of a couple bottles of Heineken I actually listened to the whole album, even Arnie's favourite "Bip Bop", which I am sure predates the actual sessions and is likely McCartney in "one man band" mode. I can't stand the way Paul sings that song, though, I think that's my biggest issue with it:laugh:

Given how thrown together the project was the production is excellent. One of Paul's best sounding records, probably, especially for 1971. The bass and drums in particular sound great. I love how just about all of Paul's lead guitar work is double tracked, that's like some kind of a McCartney 'trademark' or something, he always seems to double track his solos, etc. As for Mr Laine he is clearly playing the basic rhythm guitar parts -electric and acoustic- on the songs, just like on Band On The Run (which I played after Wild Life)- really, the only difference in how the tracks were laid down, probably, was that on Wild Life Paul didn't have to play the drums himself.

13. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes, I still think that 'Bip Bop' could be Paul's Rude solo demo (maybe it didn't work out as well when the band tried it at EMI?). It sounds like a simple 4-track recording to me, and all the parts sound like Paul (plus Linda's vocal, of course). It's also in mono, which would make sense if they just used a rough mix from the 4-track. Sometimes a demo is hard to recapture, and I think this could have been the case here. It's also speeded up, which may be partly the reason you don't like the vocals.

Yes, the Abbey Road production is pretty good.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. Arnold Grove

Whatever your opinions are, good or bad, if we're talking about "Bip Bop", then the world is a better place... ;)

15. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

No, it's the semi whispering effect Paul is using I find annoying, varispeeded or not:laugh:
    Yeah, it is good, isn't it? Matter of fact I'd go so far as to say that Wild Life, along with Speed Of Sound, could be Paul's best sounding albums- both of them being essentially rush jobs cut at Abbey Road, no less!
    And who knows? I may even listen to "Bip Bop" again in the next twenty years (it had probably been at least that long until I listened to it yesterday)

Hep Alien and slane like this.
  16. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I also think the album was well recorded. Couple of spots whereby there is distortion, but a nice sounding recording. Though not a better album than Ram, certainly a better recording.

17. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

Well, what would you know?

Rip

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Hep Alien likes this.
  18. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

It was the first song recorded for WILD LIFE, on July 24th 1971.

ohnothimagen, slane and Hep Alien like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.