Is Don Felder underrated guitarist?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JeffMo, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Zack

Zack Senior Member

I don't really understand why the Eagles needed to recruit Walsh in the first place.

2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I agree but I suppose they wanted to replace Bernie with someone less country & Joe, apparently had had enough of leading a band so it suited both parties, and fans got some good songs out of it so it worked well enough.

BDC likes this.
  3. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

I'm glad they did. "Pretty Maids All In A Row" is one of my favorite Eagles songs.
    Yeah, Joe might've recorded it for a solo album, anyway, but the Eagles were excellent arrangers.

4. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I disagree. I like the Eagles songs he wrote and co-wrote a lot better than anything I've ever heard on any of his solo albums (not James Gang but solo). I've always found most of his solo work awfully self-indulgent and boring.

CatchAsCan, mbrownp1 and carlwm like this.
  5. Drumaniac - R

Drumaniac - R Forum Resident

I love Joe's solo work, James Gang and Eagles contributions but The Eagles and Joe would have been fine without each other. If I remember correctly many of Joe's fans were not happy that he joined The Eagles. They may have helped get him cleaned up in the 90's though and that's a good thing!

ARK and carlwm like this.
  6. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

As per the thread topic, that also demonstrates that Henley (and Frey) didn't have any issues with Felder's playing!

7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Indeed.

8. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

This wasn't as big of a surprise as it was made out to be. The Eagles and Joe Walsh shared the same producer (Bill Szymczyk) and manager (Irving Azoff). They'd performed together several times, with members of the Eagles guesting on Joe solo albums.

9. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Thread title: "Is Don Felder underrated guitarist?"
    Not: "Do you find Don Felder arrogant?" or "Do you like his solo albums?" or "Did you find the tone of his book whiny?"

So if one posts negative things about something off topic, I must assume its because one thinks he's a great guitarist and clearly everyone else must feel that way too, so let's create discussion on some other topic instead.

10. BluesOvertookMe

11. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

The Eagles were always just that 'bit better' having Don in the band.

12. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

I think Felder was a fine guitarist, always played in tune, in time, with good tone. Totally solid chops. Very natural player.

He and Walsh really complimented each other, Joe was way more Bluesy and “legato” compared to Felders “linear” approach if that makes sense.

I read his book, and gotta say he was shortsighted for arguing w Don & Glenn about money split. He should’ve taken their offer he lost out on a LOT but I’m sure he’s doing fine.

Say It Right and Record Rotator like this.
  13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Personally, I'm happy to be talking about Don Felder at all. I think he's a seriously under-appreciated talent.

14. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

He was the best guitarist The Eagles ever had.

Lee Davis, CatchAsCan, JeffMo and 2 others like this.
  15. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I still give the nod to Walsh. I’m not sure I would rate Felder higher than Leadon, who was far more versatile. All great players.

Gratefully Deadicated and carlwm like this.
  16. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I think with their vastly different styles, it becomes difficult to put them up against each other, As you say, all great.

17. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

That is my fave Eagles tune.

18. PacificOceanBlue

Definitely in my top ten. Great track. Joe was always so good with cinematic soundscapes and arrangements.

19. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Felder was naive in thinking Schmitt and Walsh were going to side with him. They weren't in the same situation. They were hired hands, Felder didn't do anything to change that. He wasn't going to offer them a piece and had no ability to do so.

Felder was made a full partner, there were five of them. Though two of them banded together and had more control than the others. Then the other two partners left, and it was the two united ones and Felder. It was a powder keg waiting to blow up if anyone was discontented, and it eventually did.

Most people do not take kindly to demoted status. Like getting cheated on by your spouse. You either live with the humiliation, because you don't want to give up your "stuff", or you walk away. A lot of people are going to walk away. Felder did.

The band does so many Walsh songs in concert it's a little silly that he's just a hired hand. I don't care what they do about the ownership, but anything going forward, all of the guys on stage are the band. Glenn's dead. Steuart Smith "isn't in the band", though he plays parts that are needed for the band, and writes songs with the band. Okay then. Just give up on that notion at this point.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  20. BluesOvertookMe

That's the point everyone seems to miss.

21. PacificOceanBlue

Felder didn’t exactly walk away, he was fired. He overestimated his position and pushed Glenn and Don too far, and he paid the price by being removed from the band. Joe and Timothy are under contract, but isn’t as if they only play for nominal fees — both are millionaires many times over. For Hell Freezes Over, Felder signed a new contract and allegedly had the same deal as Joe and Timothy for that project, apparently earning somewhere around $25+ million. He became pissed that Glenn/Don/Azoff created a new corporate structure for new band business outside of Eagles Ltd., but he only had himself to blame for agreeing to the new deal.

Ultimately he sued Glenn and Don, and then they countersued him. The parties agreed to an out of court settlement, which means neither party “won” the lawsuit. But they all got something they wanted; Felder got some money (allegedly in the $10+ million range), and Glenn and Don gained full control of The Eagles, plus they got Felder out of their lives. In the end, one suspects Felder is regretful because he missed out on 20 years of touring and recording with the band, not only missing out on the financial opportunities, but missing out on the musical and creative process.

ARK and Record Rotator like this.
  22. PacificOceanBlue

I think the point most people miss is that without having read the original Eagles Ltd. agreement and the subsequent band agreements created for new band business starting with Hell Freezes Over, that Felder signed, no one really knows what Felder’s rights were under the agreements. There is a presumption that Felder got screwed, but that really cannot be determined without reading the contracts.

Corporate structures often change and are amended over time, so no one should expect that the terms of the Eagles Ltd. agreement, or the corporate structure of the band would remain the same in perpetuity.

23. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

Checked out the video. Great stuff and Felder and Walsh was a perfect fit and they made the band much better IMO.

That said, my favorite lead work on an Eagle track is by Frey. "Try and Love Again" features some really tasty licks from him and is what I personally think is the hidden gem on HC.

Record Rotator and JeffMo like this.
  24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic Thread Starter

The album is deep with riches, isn't it?

Thread has been interesting with votes for each of the Eagles guitarists being a favorite.

GarySteel and carlwm like this.
  25. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

By all accounts, there's no "may have" about it. Don and Glenn told him if he didn't get sober, he was out of the band.

I think that's it as far as touring is concerned, but I wonder does he realistically believe he'd have been allowed much creative input? If I recall correctly he had the fewest writing credits of the seven of them (although those few do include their signature song). Even when it comes to adding guitar flourishes to the others' songs, I don't get the impression he got a lot of joy out of that. Even that beautiful flamenco intro he added to "Hotel California" on the 1994 tour is the subject of a nice round of whining in his book (i.e. "Glenn only gave me a few hours to come up with this!" Well, okay, but obviously he was up to the task and it added a lot to the song - why complain about it now?)