Is Driving Rain a "generation gap"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Durango88, Jan 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

He had a resurgence in popularity in the UK when the Flaming Pie album was released after the Beatles Anthology. It restored the credibility of his solo career and got it some younger fans, including me at the time. I think he's kept that credibility since.

joy stinson, maui jim, joelee and 3 others like this.
  2. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Oh, not true. I owned the album on vinyl, sold it for a nice profit. Boring as ****, I do not remember a single song though.

thewonders likes this.
  3. Aar Gal

Aar Gal Monkberry Moon Delight

everything after Off The Ground is new for me!

4. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Then..by ALL means...don’t get on these McCartney threads and comment....better yet, do something positive and create other threads on the forum for what you regard as superior albums by superior artists. That would be a much better use of your time and per your opinions, but not necessarily everyone else’s....you would be improving the forum. As with all albums, there are folks who will really like them and folks who won’t. Also, all albums by any artist aren’t equally good though may have some merit.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Jarleboy, Cledwyn, parman and 2 others like this.
  5. joy stinson

All a matter of tastes..as the Roman poet Ovid said which is not to be argued. However, I at least credit you for buying and listening to it before you wrote your comment.

6. Durango88

Durango88 Without Bogey Music, life is indeed incomplete Thread Starter

Yeah, it's not his best album, true that. But that's exactly why it's interesting to discuss, since there are various opinions about this record. This record is apparently polarizing (at least in some ways)

Or we can keep praising the holy "Band On The Run" forever. How fun would that be;)

joy stinson and parman like this.
  7. Nightswimmer

I do not understand why Macca-fans are so thin-skinned.

8. Nightswimmer

I read relatively few posts about Chaos and Creation. That would be worth discussing.

9. Durango88

Really? okay, if you create a thread count me in :righton:

joy stinson likes this.
  10. joy stinson

Well, for one thing I read and many times post on other artists on this forum and don’t see all of the dissing of them that I see for Macca or generalized comments about his music and various albums. Had you included specific reasons, you generalized comments would have carried more weight. This is likewise true of all social media comments on Macca, which causes his fans to appear thin skinned. My own practice however is not to post on an artist or about a genre, or album I don’t like and certainly without supported analysis and I instead let folks who know the artist works better post specific praise or criticism. You are actually adding to Macca thread comments when you posts the type of stuff you have here.

11. joy stinson

It’s a beautiful but dark themed album with a good ..analog sound. Create a thread and we’ll participate.

12. Durango88

Guys please, just respect each others opinions and be kind to one another - gosh, I sound like Ellen, but it's still true. :righton:

joelee likes this.
  13. joy stinson

Sorry, but I see this a lot with Macca threads.

14. Durango88

I know I know , but when everybody is respectful with each other: Problem solved. And if it's going nowhere, I just agree to disagree. Live goes on, brah :D

So, everything's fine, Joy :righton:

15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I loved it when it came out and still do. I think it's a fantastic album

joy stinson, nsm, foxylady and 2 others like this.
  16. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

That is how this forum evolves. What was once an obscure, passed-over Macca record can become his greatest-ever in the minds of some. To be a Macca fan is to be an eternal optomist. The opposite side of that is that his latest albums typically clog the used cd store bins over the next year or so.......so if you are on a budget and can wait a bit, shop there. :)

joy stinson and Nightswimmer like this.
  17. 905

905 Senior Member

I was 24 when it was released, thought it was great then. It's one of my favorites to this day.

Bonus track Freedom overshadowed the album itself, and the Heather Mills era had a lot of tabloid news from what I remember.

joy stinson and Durango88 like this.
  18. thewonders

thewonders Someone that I used to know

Fixed

19. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I disagree, but it's all subjective of course.

I've never subscribed to the opinion that Flaming Pie is an upper tier McCartney album. Too much filler for me. Driving Rain, however, is easily in my top 5 McCartney albums from 1970 on.

joy stinson, foxylady and Cledwyn like this.
  20. parman

parman Music Junkie

Haven't listened to DR in years (it was a gift) but I liked it at the time. It was around the time of Flaming Pie and I liked them both. Don't care much for his music anymore so I haven't listened to any of his CD's. Maybe I'll put them both in the, to be listened to pile.

21. thewonders

Yes, taste in music overall is subjective.

Interesting, we seem to be at polar opposites. You can probably guess that I would put DR in the bottom 5, and I personally don't think there is much filler in Flaming Pie... so I'm curious what songs you think are filler?

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Underrated album, better album cover would have helped. Enjoyed listening to it on headphones.

Carlox, 51IS, joelee and 2 others like this.
  23. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Really Love You and Used To Be Bad should have been dropped; and I'm not a great fan of Calico Skies or Little Willow. McCartney has done far better acoustic tracks.

If You Wanna would be improved by being shorter. It goes on for days.

24. joy stinson

Again..,all a matter of opinion...Nevertheless, because he’s an older artist with a long solo career...it has inevitably been reassessed by critics and fans and interested newer fans as eventually happens to folks with a career as long as his.

However, I wish I could find all those used McCartney albums clogging the used bins you speak of...because I only have one of his from the last twenty years and I’m looking for the others but can’t find them. Please, as you find them, send them to me..LOL, though I’m serious as am looking for them to complete my old McCartney collection but can’t find them anywhere in my used stores.

The only few McCartney albums I see are a very few from the seventies that I already have. Of course Macca fans are eternal optimist because he’s an eternal optimist. Had he listened to his old critics and negative folks, he’d have stayed on the Scottish farm for good. Also, if you see the mono ram, send that to me by all means as well...as it’s indeed a collectible, lol.

PM me about getting all those later Macca albums to me, particularly if they are in vinyl. LOL This Macca solo collector since 70 is indeed very excited.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  25. thewonders

Well I totally agree with you on I Really Love You - that should have been left off, it's not exciting or even that interesting at all. I mostly liked the others, in fact I really like Calico Skies.

joy stinson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.