Is "Eyes Wide Shut" a good movie? Was Stanley Kubrick a good director?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Lyndon has grown on me over time. The look of the film was always impressive, I guess Kubrick chose Ryan O'Neal as he was close to his preferred acting style already.

reapers and kevinsinnott like this.
  2. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I'm surprised that nobody here has said that 'The Moon Landing' was Kubrick's best work ;)

Jerk The Handle and lbangs like this.
  3. This is what made him so great.

4. Graham

Graham Senior Member

If you're talking about Kubrick and Eyes Wide Shut, he fully completed it before he died.

As for the poster that said Kubrick took so many takes "because he didn't know what he was doing"... :biglaugh:

5. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Kubrick chose Ryan O'Neal because he wanted a bankable star. The studio gave me a choice of the top actors during that time period. Robert Redford turned Kubrick down (I think each of them both felt it wasn't a good fit)
    Turns out Ryan O'Neal was only the top grossing actor that one year.
    Anyways it was a great choice.

6. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

I think Kubrick is a great director. But Eyes Wide Shut is one of my least favorite by him. Maybe he went out on a weak note?

7. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Please read this article....he delivered a cut but he usually trimmed and did not do music and sound work
    http://kubrickfilms.tripod.com/id79.html

Robin L likes this.
  8. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

What are power windows, in this context?

9. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I had pretty much the same reaction. I wasn't sure whether I liked it or not. (That was back in 1998. More recently I've started to think that if I have that kind of reaction, then it worked.) I agree the lighting and brightness are essential to the mise-en-scène and the mood.
    I think that's exactly right, that it looks wonderful in a theater. In fact as I recall the interiors look sort of like an extension of the theater walls, the dark red side curtains that used to be more common than they are now, and it draws the viewer into the image, in a voyeuristic way.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I thought O'Neal was perfect for the role. From my review:

"O'Neal offers a pretty bad performance as Lyndon but ends up accurately portraying the character. O'Neal seems stiff, wooden and flat, but in reality, that's probably the way Lyndon should appear. Lyndon seemed to be a virtual cipher, a fairly dull-witted guy with few obvious talents who got by on his good looks. Hmm - sound like any actor you can recall? I don't know if O'Neal actually tried to play Lyndon as such a dud, but it works spectacularly well. "

jwoverho likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

Was SK a good director? Yes.

Is "EWS" a good film? No. Leave out the hot naked women and it's borderline unwatchable.

SK peaked with "Clockwork". He started to go downhill with "Shining" - his last 2 movies are weak, IMO...

Tristero likes this.
  12. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Yes, his camera is great. Seeing director-as-painter Kubrick is great. No doubt, and this is a great piece from that body of evidence.

13. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Is "Eyes Wide Shut" a good movie? I can't seem to get in the proper mood to watch it or Barry Lyndon, so I can't say.

Was Stanley Kubrick a good director? I believe he was a brilliant director. He directed some of my favorite films. Why can't I get in the mood to watch Eyes Wide Shut or Barry Lyndon??

Semi-related question: Is "A.I." a good movie? YES.

14. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

One of my favorite Christmas movies.

musicalbeds likes this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

"For "Eyes Wide "Shut, Kubrick refused to use studio lighting, forcing photographer Smith to use the available light sources, such as lamps and Christmas tree lights. When this was not adequate, Smith used Chinese paper ball lamps to softly brighten a scene. The colour was enhanced by push processing the film reels, which helped bring out the intensity of color."

16. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

And that may have been calculated on Kubrick's part. His main characters are often not the types you would identify with. Can't stand them? Even better ;)

Metralla and junk like this.
  17. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Exactly. I thought Cruise did a very good job in playing a very, very insecure person who was not very likable. I wonder, with the rumors of Cruise's sexuality, was this in fact part of Kubrick's plan in casting him? I know he wanted a real life acting couple, at first seekingAlec Baldwin and Kim Bassinger for the roles. And if Cruise's supposed sexuality WAS part of it, how does that inform the character he plays? Personally I think Kubrick was ambivalent/hostile to humans and was using the actor/mask motif to poke around a little like a specimen in a petri dish.

18. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Really? I thought Ryan was awful in that.

Mazzy likes this.
  19. Oatsdad

Viewed via mid-1990s eyes - when Cruise was cast - the notion of picking him because he was disliked doesn't make sense, though. Cruise was a massive star and lots and lots of people loved him.

The Cruise backlash didn't really set in until the mid-2000s, IMO - around the time he started acting like more of a kook. Mid-1990s Cruise was arguably the biggest movie star on the planet - casting him to "capitalize" on negative attitudes toward him wouldn't have made sense because those negative attitudes didn't exist in the mainstream...

20. Oatsdad

He was - which made him great in the part. As I mentioned in the blurb I posted, O'Neal fit the role perfectly, largely because he was awful. A better actor would've made Barry a more well-rounded character - in O'Neal's inept hands, Barry was the non-entity he needed to be...

crispi and PlushFieldHarpy like this.
  21. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

But he made the film tough to watch - I haven't seen it since its release. I found him totally unbelievable in the part.

Mazzy likes this.
  22. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I also think Kubrick shared Alfred Hitchcock's view that the camera told the story and that actors were secondary. As much as I have enjoyed both of their films and admire their and well-choreographed masterful cinematography, I admit I sometimes find their actors' (even when they have great ones) acting a little stiff, and their directors a little cold.

chacha and reapers like this.
  23. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Very good point.

24. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Kubrick at his best was extraordinary, IMO, a unique cinematic visionary. (I view Strangelove-2001-Clockwork Orange to be his peak period.) But Eyes Wide Shut was a huge bore for me, meticulously crafted as ever but lifeless, stilted and empty. It just felt like one gigantic, belabored tease with no meaningful payoff--I just couldn't get invested in any of it, even the naughty bits. I remember feeling profoundly relieved that it was over when I walked out of the theater, though disappointed at what had become of one of my favorite filmmakers.

25. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.