Is it just me, or is the new Ren & Stimpy god-awful?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jun 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

I watched it last night, and it was an endless string of gay, snot, and vomit jokes. No substance whatsoever.

John K. has lost his touch.

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I haven't seen it--yet--but if you're right, small wonder. Nickelodeon felt he was churning out the episodes too slowly, tossed him, and let others take over, and the result was a slow but steady decline into tedium and unfunny capers. But when he was hot, John K's work--it was his baby--was incomparable and great fun. I still have my LD of selected 'toons, the only one that was issued, I think. Nick should have let John K do things at his own pace, spend a few extra bucks to make things right, and bask in its success. Another example of executives meddling with something that was going along just well, though I gotta concede, those early eps didn't exactly fly out every week. Maybe that was what made watching a new one so much fun.

I don't know where John K. has been all these years, but his returning to the scene of his greatest triumph, so long after the fact, can't have been easy. Hard to catch lightning in a bottle twice.

ED:cool:

3. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

I haven't seen it either, but it looks like my favorite character from the show, George Liquor, isn't appearing. I guess it's because Viacom let John K retain the rights to him since they always hated him.

Anyone wanting further information on the demise of the classic original show would be advised to read The Completely Uncensored Unbelievably True Ren & Stimpy Story which can be found here:

http://victorian.fortunecity.com/russell/105/partone.htm

NOTE:The link to the next part provided at the site doesn't work so you have to change the "partone" to "parttwo" in your address box.

The story behind the scenes is more sick and depraved than what made it on screen. (I'm referring to those truly god-awful post John K episodes here!)

4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Yes, this was evident in the cartoon he did for Fox, The Ripping Friends. The animation was bad, and the shows were simply not funny. Man, I haven't seen Ren & Stimpy yet, but I hope that the fact that John K. is now doing the show expressly for adults doesn't kill it again.

Evan

5. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Hey!

That's no way to talk about stereoptic's avatar!
    :D
    Gotcha!
    Norm

6. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Ed,

BTW, Nick fired John K. only partially because of how fast he churned them out, but mainly because of behind-the-scenes battles over program content(even banning one completely, the George Liquor-starring "Man's Best Friend"). This way, they made the show "better"(actually, it went from genius quality to ****e within one year). Just thought I'd clear the record.

Evan

7. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Thanks. A shame, though: when it was hot, it was really a gem! I do remember reading a lengthy article in the old Film Threat mag about John K's ouster and all those behind-the-scenes hassles. I think the mag also rated the shows for the first few seasons, and they caught the rapid decline in quality just as the rest of us did.

The situation also seems to be a philosophical one--with the network overseers. At MTV, Mike Judge didn't have nearly the amount of trouble making Beavis & Butthead, precisely because he explained up front what he wanted to do, and after agreeing on mutual guidelines, he went forth and made what was agreed to--which, at times, was pretty wild. I will guess John K. never got that kind of freedom, or wanted more than he got.
    Great fun while it was cooking, however....

But who will ever forget "Rubber Nipple Salesmen" and "Sven Hoek"?:laugh:

ED:cool:

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Those were jokes? I thought it was just an endless stream of sodomy, snot, and vomit. Even the animation, which was still better than most TV product out there, was pretty disappointing compared to previous Spumco efforts.

Regards,

9. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

speaking of avatars, norm, when are you going to change that Michael Bolton album cover? :laugh:

10. teaser5

I had hoped you would see this. Bolton is bald now dude; just like me and your mice buddies. I may change the avatar someday but I like keeping Tommy Bolin out there. Kind of the way you feel about your mice Yogi and Boo Boo.
    :eek:
    Peace
    Norm

11. stereoptic

yeah, I don't surf much on the weekend. I try to expand my vision to things that a further than arm's length away, or someone much closer! Anyway, teaser is a great album, but if you do decide to change, IIRC wasn't the back cover of Private Eyes rather eye catching?

:thumbsup:

12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Ed,

"Space Madness" and "Stimpy's Invention"(the happy helmet episode)were the ones for me. One wonders if maybe Nick's involvement in the making of the cartoons were good in toning down John K's more gross tendencies. Just the right amount of sweet and sass. A pity about the new ones.

Evan

13. RDK

RDK Active Member

Yes, "Space Madness" is my favorite too. And I loved those fake commercials - like the one for "Log." And "Don't whizz on the electric fence." Great stuff!

I saw part of the new R & S on (Spike) this past weekend and yes, it was as horrible as noted above. Amazingly, though not surprisingly, the worst reviews were for "Striperella." ;)

14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I watched a new one thursday, called "Ren Seeks Help", about Ren seeing a psychiatrist(Mr. Horse)about him beating on Stimpy. Really disturbing stuff, I'm afraid. I wonder what a child would think watching the new "adult" Ren & Stimpy. Lots of swearing, vomit, etc. I think John K has let his newfound freedom go to his head. Very sad.

15. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Wow - I didn't even know that Ren and Stimpy were back under John K's direction! I still have most of the old ones on VHS. The early John K ones were amazing.

Things weren't the same after he left Ren and Stimpy in the hands of Nickolodeon, but I always did like the Haggis McHaggis episode - I could watch that one over and over. I'd like to see John K bring Haggis back.

16. teaser5

Almost missed this. Yeah, the back of Private Eyes sure is fine.
    Puts me on the verge of the brink of hypnagogic revelry every time I see it.
    :D
    Hope you and your prarie doggie avatar fellas are having a nice weekend and that you have something better to do at quarter to five in the morning than wonder what the heck "on the brink of hypnagogic revelry" means

Peace-
    Norm

17. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

In my best Ren vocal impression, "STIMPY YOU IDIOT"!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :D

18. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

John K wouldn't do that as it was a character created after his departure. BTW, it's obvious Billy West is not doing Stimpy's voice anymore. Anyone know who is? The credits were so small I couldn't read the name at the end of the show. Beatle Terr, "You....EEEEEdiot!" :laugh:

Evan

19. stereoptic

thanks for noticing Norm! Yep we had a great weekend of sun, beach, fireworks, and lobster. We kept the "prairie dogs" on the computer, which I stayed off of all weekend until now but my eyes are slowly closing after driving for 6 hours and maybe I

. am on
    . the cusp ..............
    ......... of

.......................................hypnagogic revelry.........

try it, you'll like it......''''any way I am thread crapping.....

20. teaser5

Welcome home

Donald:
    We watched Ice Age tonight and I think one of your avatar chipmunks was in the movie! Get his autograph or paw print for me dude!
    Peace
    Norm
    ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.