Is it just me or Led Zeppelin (or rather half of the band) were simply bad too many times LIVE? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DLeet, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Yes, I misspoke. Aeolian is Natural Minor. Harmonic Minor and Melodic Minor stem from it. Though many argue about the logic of this.

2. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Do you just mean historically, when each first appeared?

3. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

Yeah, great track, that one. Definitely would dig hearing more live versions.

I've also been mightily perplexed by "Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)" not being brought to the stage...ever.

Page's freakish distaste for the number be darned, this song positively cooks! The sound of his 12-string is so crushingly monstrous. LOVE it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Haggis Wampovich and jay.dee like this.
  4. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Frankfurt probably is the best show from the 1980 tour.

Dodoz likes this.
  5. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Yeah historically when and why melodic and harmonic were added, mostly for the sake of tonal harmony and having the leading tone

Terrapin Station likes this.
  6. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

It's annoying that they would sometimes have a small part in a medley, instead of playing the whole thing - as the lead track on their debut album you'd think they thought highly of the tune

7. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Led Zeppelin were great in the studio, probably one of the best studio bands ever. But live, their sound often didn't feel "full". I don't know how else to describe it.

NettleBed, J_D__ and Pete Puma like this.
  8. ohnothimagen

It becomes even more apparent later in their career, when Page started getting into the massive guitar overdubs in the studio- his "guitar army" approach. IMO they couldn't really do justice to songs like "Ten Years Gone" or "Achilles Last Stand" on stage with just one guitar.

Big Pasi likes this.
  9. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Achilles Last Stand was one of the highlights of the set from '77 onwards.

10. ohnothimagen

It was, but it's missing...something IMO. Some nights they played it way too fast as well, but that might have been a side effect of all the coke:laugh: I actually prefer the 1980 "Achilles" 'cos they're closer to the studio version tempo.

11. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I can see why people would think that especially if people arent hearing guitar parts that are on the studio versions that just one guitarist cant replicate by himself live and whatnot. However I think that Zeppelin live had a different sound and one I would totally describe as full! For example the live version of Immigrant Song from How The West Was One is like a full box of bricks hitting you in the face - in the best way possible

12. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I always marveled at the way Page could combine various elements of his studio guitar parts into a single one for live performance. They were both different kinds of experiences, and both thrilling. There was more open space in the live arrangements, but that's fine with me.

vmajewsk, HotelYorba101 and jay.dee like this.
  13. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

When I listen to their live recordings now, the clams are everywhere. It is almost comical.

But had I been there at the time, I wouldn't have known or cared about the gaffes onstage.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  14. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Not on this night even though they never played here... [​IMG]

15. TDSOTM

TDSOTM Forum Resident

There's no link between the Truth album and Led Zeppelin I. Page has mentioned that he hadn't even heard Truth before the recording sessions for I were already over. Most importantly, Jimmy had already released the Think About It single a few months before the Truth album, and that's easily the most Zep-sounding record before the Zep debut. So if anything it was Jeff who was cribbing from Jimmy, not the other way around.

marmalade166 likes this.
  16. joefont

joefont Senior Member

I feel the same way. Saw Zep back in '73, was not impressed. Saw the Who that same year and they blew the roof off the joint. My opinion on both bands has always been, Zeppelin's recordings were better than their live performances while the Who's live performances were better than their studio recordings.

Aardvark23, Scott6 and Duke Fame like this.
  17. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Utter nonsense. Their playing styles have NEVER been the same... Jimmy, while brilliant, is a sloppy player. Its part of his charm. NOTHING sloppy at all in Jeff's playing...he's a perfectionist.

belardd likes this.
  18. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I think he was referring to the architecture of the JB Group and the Truth album vs. LZ and the LZ1 album, not a comparison of their playing. Both groups and albums are heavy blues-rock, both of which I hear as directly derived from The Yardbirds. Both similar in some ways due to their heritage, but not copies of each other.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  19. El Rich-o

El Rich-o Forum Resident

Making awesome records.

20. El Rich-o

El Rich-o Forum Resident

That's got a million guitar overdubs on it.

21. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Making Sgt. Pepper's, Magical Mystery Tour, the White Album, Let It Be and Abbey Road. :D

22. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

That is definitely the way I took it.

23. TDSOTM

TDSOTM Forum Resident

It's also worth keeping in mind that the live version of Dazed and Confused that the Yardbirds started doing in early 1968 was already very similar to the version that appeared on the Zeppelin debut. Again, this was a few months before the Truth album was even recorded.
    There are actually only two brief overdubs, at 1:53 and 3:21, and the only purpose is to double what was already played by Jimmy, in order to make it sound fuller. There's also a brief vocal overdub somwhere, as well as a delay effect added at 7:38. So hardly "a million guitar overdubs". It's mighty impressive just how good that live performance is.

24. TDSOTM

TDSOTM Forum Resident

Black Mountain Side has got nothing to do with Davy Graham, it was likely inspired by Bert Jansch's Blackwaterside, released on the Jack Orion album in 1966. That Graham tune, though, does appear to have inspired White Summer, which was released on the Yardbirds' Little Games LP. Jimmy would later play the two back to back with Zeppelin starting in 1969. He did add a lot of his own stuff in the respective studio versions, and don't forget the improvised passages in live concerts that go well beyond what's on the originals by Graham and Jansch.

marmalade166 and jay.dee like this.
  25. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Listen to the 79 shows from Copenhagen or the shows from Germany in 73.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.