Is it me, or is Mind Games Lennon's blandest album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychsound, Apr 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..yea...too much "swooping"...and lousy tone, IMO.

2. Its probably you. :tiphat:

Psychsound likes this.
  3. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Agree.
    I think POB is still stunning to this day;
    as good as any Beatles material, imo.
    John found love, so power to them both ..
    .. I don't know why John's material was
    spotty after POB - I guess no one will ever
    really know for sure. I love Walls & Bridges enough to say that I feel he still had it in him at that point in his life, so he definitely hadn't lost the Beatle magic. He was just trying out new sounds with the production on Double Fantasy, as he'd been away from the studio for five years and there were new technologies to play with in 1980.

rmath84 and DK Pete like this.
  4. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Lennon never did a bad tune not to mention a bad album (even NYC was a 9/10 record) and I'll take his work over The Beatles any day.

Jerryb likes this.
  5. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

My mind goes numb when I listen to this thing. Many of these songs manage to be saccharine, plodding and bland all at once. I like the title track and I think that there are about 15 seconds in “You Are Here” I like. That’s about it.

Lewisboogie, a customer and Bern like this.
  6. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Haven't seen you around in a while.
    Still posting the craziest things!

7. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Mind Games may the the Lennon album I listen to the most!
    'Aisimusen' has one of the GREAT guitar solos of all time.
    'One Day At Time' is weak, and 'Only People' has one of the ugliest clavinet sounds of all time.

8. bward

bward Senior Member

Mind Games, to me, is where he misses McCartney the most.

I find the songs dull and Lennon himself uninspired.

I love the title track. And Meat City is fun.

And after that, it's bland.

If it was a McCartney album, it would be Off The Ground.

Walls and Bridges was a huge step forward, mostly because John had something to say, and there was that return of Beatle John, too.

Bern likes this.
  9. SteveRes

SteveRes Forum Resident

Yes, very hit and miss. It's got a few tracks I really dig, like Tight As, Freeda People, Out Of The Blue, Meat City and the title track but the rest is forgettable.

Bern likes this.
  10. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Both Mind Games and Walls and Bridges are half good/half indifferent(or poor) releases and its during his "Lost Weekend" phase and split from Yoko. I've always thought combining the best material from both releases would've made for an excellent single album that would rival his prior works like Plastic Ono Band and Imagine. Maybe something like this:

Whatever Gets You Through the Night
    Bring on the Lucie(Freda People)
    Mind Games
    Going Down on Love
    Intuition
    What You Got
    Tight A$
    Steel and Glass
    Only People
    Old Dirt Road
    Meat City

Lewisboogie and Crimson Witch like this.
  11. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Works good as a playlist , but I think 'W&B'
    is just fine the way it is. For that matter, I
    think 'Mind Games' LP is mostly fine,
    except I would replace tracks 4 &7 ( One
    Day At A Time, & Intuition ) with Stand
    By Me & You Can't Catch Me off of the
    'Rock 'n' Roll' LP and then just send the rest of the latter to the trash heap
    !
    :righton:

Bern and DK Pete like this.
  12. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

It's you

It doesn't surprise me te see all the bad posts from folks who thought Kiss should be in theR&RHOF, or think the Monkees are a valid pop band who should be in the R&RHOF, which to me is ridiculous, also talk of the next Peter Noone, the Partridge Family, or Mickey Dolenz concert tours like they are even valid as events. Probably serve kool-aid and cookies for snacks. Sometimes I can't tell if it's a joke or not. Some of the stuff I see is almost silly and then they run down John, or any number of Blues artist. I like Rock and Roll and some sense of being an adult in my music, it's fine with me if you don't but you don't have to be so mean and spiteful in you critique of Johns music, jst grab hands and dance a circle to "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da"
    My response here I feel is valid due to the ire some are making of Johns music and his life.

Thanks for reminding me of the cd, I listened to it as I wrote this response. :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    SKATTERBRANE likes this.
  13. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Now you can put me on ignore, or laugh at my blues music that is so simple to play.

14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I agree with some of what you're saying disagree with other parts; personally, I wouldn't spend a penny on Peter Noone, Dolenz or The Partridge Family. But regardless of what you think of these people as "artists" or (non)viable contributors to Pop music, there's nothing INvalid about what their performances mean to a lot of people, even if you (or I) wouldn't bother with any of them. On another "note", I'm a huge Beatles/Lennon fan but I see nothing wrong a little musical dissection now and then even if it leans towards the negative. I agree that negativity expressed on his personal life is not only uncalled for but very judgmental (as if anyone here, or elsewhere, is perfect.....???). But when it comes to the music , whether it's a specific period in his life or a particular album, it's actually a lot of the negative opinions that make for the best discussion.

• ...so by the way...did you listen to the original-mix CD or the remix..??:cool:

Crimson Witch likes this.
  15. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Not really I have always heard the pain expressed in Walls And Bridges to lack the urgency of other Lennon solo projects...

Although Steel & Glass from day one has remained a top 10 Lennon fav

16. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Rock N Roll is the most mundane or bland. NYC is the most pretentious (outside the 3 "Unfinished Music volumes). Mind Games is a slight notch above Walls And Bridges, and somewhere below POB and Imagine. Not sure where to place Double Fantasy though.

I prefer the remixes on all the above. (I do not like the original mixes that bury and obscure John's voice).

17. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

Sorry, I can't reply to a "what say you?" question. The grammar makes me mental. It might be just me.

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I agree with the OP.

"MG" is a perfectly listenable little album, and I like both the title track and "Meat City" a lot.

Otherwise... I can't point to any crap but I can't point to anything that I think is better than just okay.

It's a much better album than the execrable "NYC" or "R&R", and it's a bit superior to "DF" or "M&H", too, but it's definitely much worse than "POB", "Imagine" and "W&B"...

majorlance likes this.
  19. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I prefer 'Mind Games' to both 'Walls and Bridges' and 'Sometime In NYC', but each album has its merits. My favorite tracks on SINYC are Yoko's anyway.

SKATTERBRANE likes this.
  20. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

I own the CD. I listen to the title track (Mind Games) and I really like it. All of the other songs on the CD, I skip.

21. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

they really did need each other didn't they.....if it was a beatle album it would have the best songs - title track...freeda is almost fantastic..and paul could've helped polish the other so-so ones....and the sound would be a lot better....

Bern likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's how I feel about "DF". "Kiss Kiss Kiss" and "Give Me Something" are easily my favorite songs on that one!

SKATTERBRANE and Bern like this.
  23. Bern

Bern JC4Me

If it were a Beatle LP...3/4 of it wouldn't have made the cut. Agree on Bring on The Lucie...

Crimson Witch likes this.
  24. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

I love the Mind Games album. Sounds to me like the first full album Lennon put out where you can really hear him enjoying making music for the sake of making music. No primal scream therapy, no focus on politics, no Paul hating, just a guy making music for himself with a great sounding band. The original mix is a bit murky, but it works - the remix tries to put every single instrument front & center, clear as a bell, where some things need to be in the background.

I'm not a fan of Walls & Bridges or the Rock n Roll covers album, both seem lifeless and Lennon sounds bored to me. Seems like a lot of people lump Mind Games in with that sort of review, but I think it's a different sounding album and succeeds for it.

SKATTERBRANE and MPLRecords like this.
  25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I got the UK 45 of Mind Games very cheap with it's original picture sleeve yesterday in excellent condition. I'd forgotten how much I dislike the song. It's ghastly!

On the positive side I got #9 Dream and Whatever Gets You Through The Night with it. I like both of those. There were a few Wings 45s too.

DK Pete likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.