Is it OK to NOT like classical music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Apr 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Classical Music is nothing else but the rock music of former times. It's very strange what the "afterworld" has made of it, labelling it as "intelligent", "high class"..whatever.
    If you go through the biographies of people like Mozart or Beethoven you will discover that they were the same characters you find among today's rock musicians. And there were lots of other similarities....they were even "bootlegged" - their sheet music was illegally copied....
    The main difference is the instrumentation, they had no electricity, so the loudest thing they had was a full orchestra.
    I am very open to classical music, especially since I found out about the rubbish of today's upper class presentation in Opera houses, where you do not even dare to cough or say a word between the breaks....

Suncola and Grant like this.
  2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I never thought it could make you smarter but it sure can drive you nuts trying to figure out where some pieces are going. For instance, I never like Maher's Second Symphony until around tens years ago. There are so many modulations in the last five minutes it can make your head spin. The last 5 minutes of it used to sound like 5 hours but now....it sounds like 5 seconds .....of heaven. :cool:

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Grant, I'm joking.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Rose River Bear

Kubrick's use of classical music...especially Bartok...in The Shining is brilliant.

Mazzy likes this.
  5. Here are just a few of my very favorite classical albums. I don't have a huge collection but maybe close to 100 classical recordings on CD aside from soundtracks.

image.jpg

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

That was another point I tried to make, that it seems generational. And, yes, the music in many of the composers' days was seen as the "people's music".

7. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

It's okay to despise classical music if you want, why should you rely on peer pressure to determine what your own tastes are ?

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Don't like music out of obligation. Like what you like and let others like what they like.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

You turkey! :D Classical music is supposed to be a serious subject!:mad: :D

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  10. Rose River Bear

I used to think this piece was 13 minutes of torture now I can't listen to it enough.
    Watch out though, don't listen to this with people around that do not like classical music.
    Two of my wife's friends said to her, "Your husband is kinda weird isn't he."
    I hate to say it but, I think most people do not want to devote the time it takes to absorb some classical music.

11. GlassOnion

GlassOnion Well-Known Member

I never liked it all. No reason other than i just don't like it all. But if someone tells me they like it and im not gonna say how can you listen to that etc etc. I love Psychedelic music,my favorite genre of music, i get a lot don't like that, and thats fine. In my opinion if you like it you like it, i would never call any form of music crap or horrible, just call it not my cup of tea

12. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

over course it is ok.......i like some classical and mainly modern classical......to me meaning music composed from the 1950's on....now don't get me started on indian classical music :)

13. You should not be forced I agree but my point is that there is so much that if someone is a rock fan who likes The Moodies, ELP, Yes, Jethro Tull even the Beatles, there are bits taken from classical music and anyone who really loves that music should at least take some time to see what is out there in the classical world. It's like someone hearing a Ted Nugent song and saying they hate rock and roll. Well, ok, I can see that... Never mind

14. MiracleAndWonder

MiracleAndWonder Well-Known Member

I think there's a difference between not liking it and dismissing it as an inferior genre of music. I believe classical music requires a ridiculous amount of skill and talent to compose such complex compositions... but it also isn't something I really choose to listen to. Same goes with jazz, I truly believe some of the most talented musicians of all time played jazz music, but it isn't something that floats my boat. Much different than how I dismiss people like Rihanna and Bieber.

15. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

All music is just music, classical or otherwise, it's there to be liked, disliked, ignored etc., just the way one pleases.

16. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Grant, this is imo one of the silliest threads I've ever seen and I almost wondered if you were pulling my leg at first. :D

Of course it's OK to not like classical music (I assume you mean Western Classical specifically, btw). Why wouldn't it be? It doesn't mean you are less cultured or less of a music fan or any other derogatory remarks that might crop up. You can try and force yourself to like something, but if it doesn't happen then it doesn't happen.

EricSwan and drasil like this.
  17. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I have four of those exact recordings. Have never heard of the Rachel's though, so I might have to look that one out.

18. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

The term "classical music" refers to so big and diverse body of works, that the general statement that one doesn't like any of it shows only ignorance...

lrpm, dkmonroe and Larry Johnson like this.
  19. Psychedelic music is also one of my favorite rock genres and some of the 20th century modern classical composers remind me of some of it. In fact I have a huge psych playlist I've made in iTunes from my hard drive and mixed in are some of the modern classical composers. It sounds really cool on random. But I can respect those who don't get or like it.

20. Google them and be sure to get the one I posted Music for Egon Schiele. It's the best one but I have three or four Others are released under the name Rachael Grimes.

Brudy and Sordel like this.
  21. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

I can listen to some of it when I'm in the mood.

22. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

I find it can make for pleasant background music, but except for when we were required to in middle school, I've never seriously listened to any classical music. I can say that I never anticipate that changing, but 10 years ago I never thought I would enjoy Talking Heads or probably half the stuff I listen to nowadays so who knows.

23. Rose River Bear

There is only one problem with really getting into classical music compared to rock, jazz, etc....
    You can drive yourself nuts buying the same piece over and over trying to find the recording you like the best. Example....I have 15 recordings of Rachmaninoff's Third Piano Concerto.o_O
    My nephew recently said to me he would like to get into classical music. I told him "just don't get into it too much."

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i don't hate classical music. if someone wants to put some on i will happily enjoy it. i wont roll my eyes like others.
    however... if they ask me. however id rather play the doors or pink floyd any day.
    guess i just havnt got into clasical music yet.

25. When I as a young kid getting into rock, my dad said he disliked rock music, until he really listened to it. Yes he didn't like everything but as I grew older I knew what I could try on him and some he just loved.

If you don't want to go try classics , then so be it but if you are slightly interested, find someone who can lead the way and introduce you to specific recordings. Like all the posts around here about pressings and masterings, there are so many different performances of classic works and not all are great. But them there are some that are just so wonderful... Even crossover artists. The soundtracks from the Master and There Will Be Blood by Radiohead's Guitarist are great and really classical records for the most part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.