Is it OK to NOT like classical music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Apr 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

It is definitely not okay to dislike classical music. Opera on the other hand :)

2. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I was never a fan of opera.

Then I listened to a compilation of arias by Maria Callas.

Whatever "it" is, she had it.

3. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I agree that it's misused but what's the alternative? I've heard concert music, meaning music for the concert hall, but that seems stupid. And academic music is both patronising and suppositious. There is literally no good alternative to using Classical, or I'd use it!

I realise that your tongue is in your cheek here but I heard a talk once where the speaker said that opera is the greatest projection of a culture's power & prestige. That's why there was an explosion in grand opera in the U.S. after the fall of the Soviet Pact, or why Wagner & Verdi coincided with the campaigns for nationhood in Germany and Italy. People often dismiss opera because it seems elitist & irrelevant but in fact it's far closer to the mainspring of cultural identity than most people recognise. When you see it in the same light as building Concord or landing on the moon you see why opera may not be loved it but it “shouldn't” be ignored.

Silksashbash likes this.
  4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

Right there! That's where people are wrong, and why many people reject classical music. It's the ignorant idea that only intelligent people listen to classical music. What? Unintelligent people don't like classical music?

5. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

The gibe is that it's beyond their "understanding."

Nonsense.

As I related earlier, I connected with serious music on an emotional level; I was (am?) musically illiterate in terms of theory, composition, etc. I just know I like how it makes me feel.

6. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

it is OK to BE YOU dude.

who gives a rat's bottom what anybody thinks. this is about you, and your own personal relationship with .... 'music' ..........

like what you like, and dislike what you do not like ......

whatEVER. but at the end of the day, an open mind is a wonderous thing ! there is endless music for everyone to discover.... if they so choose ......

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  7. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I know it's the best music ever, I know my favorite records (Love's Forever changes, Exile on main street, etc) are crap, rubbish, compared to the great composers.. But honestly, I can't get into classical music, I rather listen to Ramones anytime

8. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

if you liked Bugs Bunny cartoons, you like classical and don’t even know it!

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  9. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Today A New World Record by ELO came on my album shuffle. The song "Rockaria" was a fun listen given this thread.

10. Ostinato

Ostinato Old and wise

So what are we talking about when we're talking about classical music? Mozart? Stravinsky? Messiaen? John Williams? Johann Johannsson? Ryuichi Sakamoto? The Beatles? I really don't understand how anyone can claim they don't like classical music. It's such a sweeping statement to make. So you think you don't like classical music? Give me an hour or two and I'll find you a piece of 'classical music' that you like.

David G. likes this.
  11. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Start with some chamber music like Martha Argerich's Debut Recital album. That lady was like a rock star back in the day. The track "Toccata" will get your blood pumpin'.

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

I don't know if you've read my posts in the thread, but I made it clear at some point that I like classical music and grew up with it. Again, the reason I started this thread several years ago is because there are people who think you have a problem or are less intelligent if you don't like it.

13. Sure it's OK. It means you're a philistine, but it's OK. :)

Be Bop Deluxe likes this.
  14. Be Bop Deluxe

Be Bop Deluxe Forum Resident

And not only a "philistine", Dudley, but a "plaid-jacketed pointdexter" of a philistine! - Didn't mean to drag out the heavy artillery but I've decided that your "take no prisoners" approach is far more effective than negotiating... and a hell of a lot more fun!

15. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

16. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thread closed - 5 years later as the OP has received his answer

nikh33 and Bobby Morrow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.