Is it possible to simultaneously connect 2-channel receiver & 7.1 receiver to the same speaker set?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ImpossibleStation, Dec 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImpossibleStation

ImpossibleStation Active Member Thread Starter

Hi all. New to this forum. I have a question regarding utilizing a set of speakers for connection to both my 7.1 Denon receiver that I use for my home theater purposes and for turntable listening via a separate 2-channel receiver. What I'd like to be able to do is use the two main speakers of my home theater to also play 2-channel stereo from my turntable with a different 2-channel receiver into the two mains, bypassing the 7.1 receiver. I don't know if this can be achieved without having to connect the speakers to different receivers each time I want to switch from home theater to 2-channel/turntable listening? I hope I got what I wanted to do across well enough that someone with some experience or ideas on how to accomplish this might be able to help me. Thanks in advance!

2. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Something like this I should think
    Russound AB-2.2
    There are doubtless cheaper 2-to-1 switches, but you must be careful they are break-before-make contacts. Personally, I'd get the Russound piece as they are well regarded for a long time, and not some Chinese junk that might short one of my amps.

3. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

4. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Details on your receiver, please. Some have a Home Theatre bypass. In which case you'd connect the front left and right pre-outs to the HT input (bypass means the HT Amp has a fixed level of amplification and can still balance the room). Less automatic, pre-outs to aux input & you record the amp level and set it the same each time.

5. ImpossibleStation

The HT receiver is a Denon AVR-2809CI. The Yamaha stereo receiver I'll be using to play 2-channel vinyl listening, I cannot give the model number of at the moment, because it's in a box in the basement.

6. ImpossibleStation

Thanks! I'll check it out.

7. ImpossibleStation

Thanks for your input!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.