Is it Stealing Part II?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by PM 1331, May 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

Isn’t getting/finding a steal the payout for all the crate digging we do?

Lost In The Flood, SJP, Echo and 2 others like this.
  2. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

If I'm in a department store and I see an item priced on the low side, I don't ask for the manager to make sure its priced correctly. I take it to the register, buy it, and feel good for scoring a good deal.

Echo likes this.
  3. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Unethical to buy for $25.
    If the record truly is worth $700 but is labeled $25, the labeled price is a mere 4% of its true value. It is unreasonable to assume that a business would intentionally price merchandise at that extreme discount. If the manager were made aware of the error by an employee during a routine inventory check would he be likely to correct it or shrug it off and leave the $25 price tag on? The latter course of action would be considered unreasonable, if not stupid, by most people. Thus it is reasonable to conclude that the $25 price tag is a mistake. Taking advantage of such a mistake is unethical.

4. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

• At a local store, I found a various artists record with an early Lou Reed "Pickwick" track on it in the dollar bin. I took it up to the counter and told them what it was, and they hurriedly stashed it behind the counter. I already had a copy of this very album so I wasn't in the market for it per se, but I guess I'm a bit of a Boy Scout.

5. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

Nope. They set the price. Just a payoff for days, weeks, and years of digging.
    That being said, I buy a lot of records. I do believe in record Karma. So when I'm going through a collection from a non record person, I will be upfront with them.

Celebrated Summer likes this.
  6. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

That is literally not stealing.

ARK likes this.
  7. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

I'd also say that even under this extreme scenario, the store is as likely to have underpaid as massively for the record as you did -- and will still profit from its sale -- as to have paid $700 but had a boneheaded clerk put a $25 sticker on it. No?

PM 1331 and ARK like this.
  8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It's neither stealing nor morally shifty. The store priced it how they chose to price it. That's their call and their responsibility. If it's priced $700 and you switch price tags to make it $25, that's more akin to stealing. If they price something lower than other people do it's not your responsibility to "correct" them.

troggy, Dudley Morris and PM 1331 like this.
  9. PM 1331

PM 1331 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Karma!

Troyh likes this.
  10. PM 1331

Pure 100% Honesty for Free!

11. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

You’d never get a great deal if you operated by that ridiculous principle.

It’s not stealing.

12. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Nope that’s called getting super lucky! It’s not the buyer’s responsibility to correctly price items, that falls to the seller.

13. PM 1331

More Honesty!

14. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

This? Wow, I don’t know, I go looking for cd bargains at used stores all the time...I think I would’ve danced a jig out the door, myself. I can say for sure though I would keep it, as I don’t own one. If I bought it to simply resell..that I’d have some guilt about. But either way I don’t think I’d point out the mistake. You’re a good man, Charlie Brown!

PM 1331 likes this.
  15. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I paid my $8.00 and danced a jig out the door.

Given how little they have given me in trade for CDs, I felt I deserved it. It is a nice upgrade to my CD-R version.

Dave S, Electric and Mooserfan like this.
  16. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

To the people who say they wouldn't "screw" the store by paying their own stickered price and insist that they take more of your money, I have to ask:

Do you think that after you leave that they're immediately trying to track down the poor schmuck off the street that THEY originally bought the item from (for probably no more than a dollar) to make sure that person gets their share of the inflated price you volunteered to pay? Do you think the store would even go as far as to even mention it to them (never mind offer them a share of the money) if that person happened to come into that store again later the same day that you bought the item?

I think we all know the answer to that!

Dave, dirie, porieux and 1 other person like this.
  17. PM 1331

More Honesty! Thank You!

18. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I feel better now. Foolish, but better.:tiphat:

19. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

Flip the question... you take a record in to sell and the dealer offers you $25. You take it and then discover it's worth $700. Is the dealer a thief?

20. MikeP5877

Yesterday I was in a record store ( a different one) and I actually had the Telly Savalas album in my hands. I just couldn't bear to part with the $1.00 he wanted for it.

21. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Oh my man, you have no idea what you’re missing. “Rubber Bands and Bits of String”, that one alone, is worth double that. :biglaugh:

MikeP5877 likes this.
  22. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I would hand over my money without saying a word about it. Then I would go out into the parking lot and start dancing.

23. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

And get hit by a truck! :yikes:

troggy and eric777 like this.
  24. MikeP5877

...while typing a post here about the great bargain I just found. :agree:

Lost In The Flood, eric777 and dsdu like this.
  25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

This one isn't even an issue. A legitimate dealer offered a price, a legitimate customer got him give it to you at that price.

You win!

(And still...yes, it's a "steal"! :D )

Lost In The Flood and ScottRiqui like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.