Is it worth upgrading from a Dynavector DV20x2L to a XX-2?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Johnny Vinyl, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Vinyl

Johnny Vinyl Vinylholic Thread Starter

The XX-2 is about twice the price of a 20x2L, so I would hope there is a significant performance level improvement. My hearing level is still good, but at almost 66 yrs old it certainly has diminished and I don't want to throw money at something for which I'm not going to get a decent return. I have heard the XX-2 many many years ago and before I acquired the 20x2L, and I remember liking it quite a bit. If I had the 20x2L at the time I could have observed the differences, but I had an Ortofon 2M Black and a Grado Sonata.

Let me add a bit of a wrinkle here. If it comes to be that a XX-2 is not worth the investment I'm considering to look at a Benz Micro Glider. I've never owned one or heard one, but I've always been intrigued by it.

Any input is much appreciated, so let me thank you in advance for your suggestions.

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I hate to sound like a broken record but the Audio Technica ART9 is a huge upgrade from the DV20X2L. I've owned both and there is no contest, for your reference. I've never heard the XX-2 but have heard other $2K carts and the ART9 held its own as myself and many other owners have mentioned.

3. Johnny Vinyl

I've never been in a dealer's shop in Canada that even carries those cartridges. So it's a bit of a non-starter for me.

4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Got you. Too bad, they do seem to be trying. As recently as two years ago in the US you could only buy one from LP Gear or a Japanese seller on E-Bay. Now the big online retailers carry them including Music Direct. Needle Doctor and Amazon.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  5. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

A lot of these "is it worth" type threads revolve around what your cost would be. Sounds like you may be planning to buy from a local dealer, so are you paying full retail? That's presents a much different scenario than another person might have. For instance, there are lightly used Dynavector XX-2 MKII cartridges available for under $1000 USD, so the XX-2 becomes a very attractive proposition to try out at that price, but that's always a bit of a risk (retail appears to be around $2000, but seems somewhat negotiable).

On the other hand, the Benz Micro Glider you mention is a really nice cartridge that has always been kind of a sweet spot in their line with a pretty good price to performance ratio, along with the slightly higher cost Wood (at least in the parts of the world with good distribution). The Glider is available new in Canada for around $800 USD, and from international sellers for a little less, so it's under half the new price of the XX-2. For my money, that's where I would go, I've had a couple of them and now mainly use the Wood SL, and am very happy with it, to me it just sounds right, and the sound fits well with the rest of my system, and the music I love. The Glider leaves the tiny boron cantilever pretty exposed out front, much like the Delos cartridges, which makes it very easy to align, but also very easy to break off (I've never done it, but have come close a couple times).

Anyway, there are so many ways to go when you get into the $1000 and above range. If you are in love with the Dynavector sound and have had good experience, that might be the way to go. Nowadays I'm less a critical listener and more into just relaxing and having fun, and I play records a lot, so I'm less inclined to spend high dollars on cartridges. I can get the Wood SL for around $900 or less, so I have kind of settled on that level for my main listening, and have another table that usually has the next level down, mostly the Audio Technica 33PTG/II lately. Both are very musical cartridges, and I have a couple others I can rotate in when needed.

Not much help, I know, but there are a lot of threads here that kind of explore the same topic. I think @Strat-Mangler recently made the Dynavector upgrade you are considering, though he got a great deal on a lightly used demo XX-2, so it wasn't much of a monetary risk. Maybe you could list some of the cartridges available near you and the approximate price, that may help direct the discussion.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Johnny Vinyl and geodiak like this.
  6. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

The Glider isn't available in North America. I bought one last year from kron at audiogon for a considerable discount. Normally I wouldn't forgo the warranty. But since, you can't really get a warranty in NA, the discount takes the some of the risk out of the picture. Something to note is that you probably aren't going to be able to get it retipped unless you send it off to somebody like SoundSmith. Kron has a make offer button on most of his sales. I made an offer for $100 under his listing. To my surprise, he accepted it. So I got it for about 1/2 the price of new one.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  7. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

I have no experience about the other cartridges mentioned in this thread, but I bought a DV XX2 MkII two months ago and I have never heard anything sounding so good in my life.

Kemosabi1, jusbe, grbluen and 6 others like this.
  8. Davey

Easily available from Canadian dealers for around $800 USD, but you're right that kron will get you a very nice deal if you don't mind going through Hong Kong...

Benz Micro / Glider Phono Cartridge

bluemooze and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  9. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

The Dynavector DV XX2 MK2 (latest version and a notable improvement over the already excellent previous version) is a huge upgrade over the generally overrated DV 20X2L. I have always liked the DV 20X2L, but only because it was better in many ways (to my ears) than the Denon DL 103.

The DV XX2 MK2 is a far superior cartridge. It is your entry into the true high-end of MC cartridges, and a great one at that. If you’ve got a worthy phono preamp capable of passing along all of what the DV XX2 MK2 can provide, you should end up duly delighted with the choice.

10. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

bluemooze and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  11. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Agreed! +1
    I use a Herron VTPH-2A phono pre and the combo with the DV XX2 MK2 is magical :righton:

grbluen, bluemooze and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  12. Johnny Vinyl

My preference is to buy new although I realize that's more expensive than going used. I'm not completely unopposed to used and I do check daily on various sites to get an idea of condition and pricing.
    I appreciate your opinion on the Glider as this is up for serious consideration should I not go with the XX-2MkII. I have nothing but good things to say about the DV20x2L, but a change of manufacturer is an appealing one.
    Like you I'm also less of a critical listener today, but I'm open to upping my game slightly. The XX-2 would be the max I'd ever go.

I can get the Glider in Canada from Audio Basics at CA$1,089 MSRP.

Great to hear! :). Gotta love it when a purchase works out so well!

I'm very familiar with Audio Basics and have bought quite a bit from them through the years. Very reliable, quick, and their packaging is second to none.

Nice to hear from another happy XX2 user! I'm using an Oracle PH100 phono pre, so I should be good.

Thanks, but I prefer local or at least within Canada for a new purchase.

Davey likes this.
  13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I say go for the XX2. Been an owner for 7+ years and it’s been a joy. I like it so much, I just had it sent back to Japan for a re-build. I can’t see myself needing to ever spend more to squeeze out a “different” sound, this one is a champ.

14. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Why send to Japan. Can't they re-build it in the USA?

I have upgraded from the DV-20X to the XX2 Mark II about ten years ago and can't be happier (still have theDV-20X in a drawer). Now I need it to be re-built. My dealer is asking for US $1,000. Dynavector offers 20% discount if you trade in your cartridge for an upgrade. The next upgrade for me costs > $2,000 after discount. So I have not taken a decision yet. Most likely I'll re-built it. It can track almost any record you through at it.
    I use an Audio Research PH7 tube preamp with it.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Apparently they do indeed need to send it back to Japan. Make arrangements with your dealer to send it back to the Dynavector distributor in the states, and they’ll handle all the overseas logistics.

Yes, the rebuild price is what I paid... that 20% off “trade in” is a joke!

16. Definite upgrade. After several years with a couple of DV20xls I purchased a XX2 about a year ago and no regrets. Good tracking, quiet backgrounds, better clarity and detail retrieval. Wish I could justify getting another as a retirement backup.

grbluen and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  17. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

The XX2 is a brilliant cartridge.

If you buy one, have your stereo dealer or someone experienced install it for you.

18. ghost rider

I agree to a degree. Ultimately if you don't already you could use this forum to learn how to do it yourself. When I bought my TT I had the dealer set it up. At the time I didn't have a clue. The dealer did a perfectly adequate job. However what I know today there is no way they could as good of a job as I did. But I understand if someone is cautious about handling a $2000 cartridge.

I'm just glad I learned how to do it.

19. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Exact same story here. Had my dealer originally set it up. But then realized I would need to ultimately make the mental investment to learn how and what really needs to be done. I’m of the ‘get it set perfect then forget’ mindset, which works out well with cartridges.

ghost rider likes this.
  20. Johnny Vinyl

I no longer install my own cartridges as I've developed arthritis in my fingers and don't have the dexterity required for such a delicate job. I've been pleased with the installation my dealer did on the last two, so I'll have him do it this time as well.

21. Davey

Just a heads up so you know, the Glider has twice the output of the XX2 (0.56 mV versus 0.28 mV @ 5 cm/sec), and generally works best with load in the 500 to 1000 ohm region, so keep that in mind if your preamp isn't very adjustable.

geodiak and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  22. Johnny Vinyl

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check the manual of my Oracle Paris PH100 phono pre.

23. ghost rider

I totally understand what you are saying. There will come a time when I won't be able to do the task. Either my hands or my eyes.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  24. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I use a Herron VPTH-2a with a XV-1s and it has amazing synergy.

Based on what I know of DV cartridges – the 20x2H I had years ago and the XV-1s I have now – I would buy the XX2MkII in a heartbeat if I were looking in that budget. I have also heard the XX2MkII at my dealer and it sounded great.

What I like about the XV-1s is it has a very neutral and dynamic presentation with a little bit of midrange warmth that doesn't sacrifice detail. That's comparing to the Clearaudio cartridge I replaced, but I remember that about the 20x2H as well. I suspect the XX2 will also have that house sound.

grbluen, Ontheone and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  25. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

I had a DV20xL years ago on a VPI Scout and moved to the XX-2. Yes it was a noticeable difference. In fact noticable from the moment the stylus touched the record. Really sweet treble and better bass definition. If the money isn't a concern then it's a worthy upgrade for sure. At the time I had an Auditorium 23 SUT into a God mm phono stage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.