Is John Fogerty, famous as he is, underrated?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spice9, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

He did and he was very proud of his work there.

;)

ssmith3046 likes this.
  2. somnar

somnar Senior Member

I like some of the CCR stuff. Always thought most of the solo stuff sounded pretty hokey.

So, underrated? No, IMO.

Jackson and Kevin j like this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Was Fogerty the only musician in history to be sued for plagarizing himself?? Can anyone think of some other songwriter who was sued for writing 2 songs that sounded too similar? If that case was upheld, then Holland-Dozier-Holland would have been sued at least 25 times for writing too many Motown songs that sounded like other songs that they already wrote. No wonder Fogerty had a hard and confused bunch of decades post-CCR. Arnie

4. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

American landscape maybe,worldwide landscape no.

5. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Yeah, but difference here was that they were published by different parties. Still you're right - I can't think of any other cases like this. The McCartney/McCartney one is the other obvious oddball case, can't think of another like that one either.

6. Arnold Grove

You mean when Sir Lew Grade threatened to sue Macca because Paul was giving half of the songwriting credits to Linda? That isn't exactly plagarism. Wasn't it all just a ploy by Sir Lew Grade to get Paul to do his 1973 TV special, or something along those lines? Or are you talking about another case?

Also, I don't think that the McCartney/McCartney one ever went to court like the Fogerty case. Arnie

7. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

No, they're not, which is why he won the lawsuit. Study up.

8. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Having interviewed him a number of times over the past decade I can assure you "bitter" is far, far behind him.

9. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Wasn't suggesting it was the same, just that it was another strange case. P Mc gave co-writing credit to Linda Mc in an attempt to divert half (the Linda half) of the publishing $'s to a Mc-owned publishing company (and therefore away from the Grade-owned publishing company Paul Mc was still contracted to).

10. Arnold Grove

Gotcha. Thanks, Arnie

11. vjf1968

vjf1968 Well-Known Member

Well who made themselves the arbiter of such matters?

12. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Not to downplay Fogerty's obvious gifts as a singer/songwriter, but that rhythm section's signature sound is a huge reason those particular songs resonate the way that they do. They brought the choogle.

somnar and rockledge like this.
  13. Arnold Grove

14. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

I did. Problem?

15. vjf1968

vjf1968 Well-Known Member

Yes.

noahjld likes this.
  16. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Study up yourself. He won the lawsuit because the jury decided the two songs did not meet the legal definition of "substantially similar". Even Fogerty himself - on the witness stand at the trial - acknowledged that they do sound a lot alike. That just wasn't enough to find against him.

17. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

A lot of his songs sound similar. And these did.
    Then again a lot of his songs are similar.
    In my opinion, he needed to re-record "Run The Jungle" and call it that for it to have any merit.

But it really was an absurd lawsuit to begin with.
    And a real jerk move by that little pig.

18. Hey Vinyl Man

I agree. Even if they had been exactly the same song with different lyrics, the lawsuit amounted to "this guy plagiarized my song, which is really his song to rewrite if he wants, except that I put a legal gun to his head and forced him to sell it to me, but it's MINE!" But that is beside the point vis a vis how similar the two songs are.

19. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Totally, factually wrong. Study up.

20. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

The difference is, Mr Fogerty had lost his rights to his own songs in order to get out of contracts.
    HDH were being paid to sound like themselves. It would seem Mr Fogerty was being sued because he was providing competition for his own work.

21. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I pretty much had just overlooked the post, but thanks for the backup.

22. Hey Vinyl Man

I did check up on that before I posted. If I'm wrong, I would appreciate you providing some cites to that end. And please don't assume that other people don't look into these things before we comment on them.

23. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

a bit underrated, cause he doesn't get mentioned on most people's lists. comparable to Lennon/McCartney, no way.

24. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

sorry, I was a bit harsh. Fogerty didn't say the songs sounded alike -- he said they sounded like his style. A subtle difference, but an important one.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

In my opinion, he is to American rock what Ray Davies is to British rock, and I mean that as a compliment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.