Is John Fogerty, famous as he is, underrated?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spice9, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Do you really not think that "Old Man Down the Road" sounds like "Run Through the Jungle," more so than any other two Fogerty songs? I remember hearing radio DJ's remarking on this before the lawsuit even happened. (and yes, they're both really good songs and no, they're not identical).

2. jonmayo15

jonmayo15 Forum Resident

Pretty accurate comparison. They capture their native countries in aspects that very few do through music. They also have both turned out their fair share of weak material.

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And both the Davies brothers (Ray and Dave) and the Fogerty brothers (John and Tom) didn't always see eye to eye, to put it mildly. Arnie

4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Ask anyone who's tried to acquire a JF autograph and they will tell you bitter JF is alive and well. He's particularly weird about CCR signed CCR stuff, even the stuff he sells at his own merch booth.

5. spice9

spice9 Senior Member Thread Starter

Wow, he signs stuff at a merchandise booth? Pardon me for swooning, but to me that's like Lennon or Dylan signing stuff.

6. SoundAdvice

Some shows last tour had 10 signed CCR albums for $100 each. John had the vinyl on his bus and they would only get signed and delivered to the booth last minute for every show. If autograph collector want all 3 CCR members on the same piece you must get John first - and he has been known to check front/back covers and inner sleeves(?) for Doug/Stu. John has got into arguments with in person collectors.

7. SoundAdvice

I think you can still buy signed Lennon stuff from Yoko in the form of Art Prints. Lennon did in-store signing with Yoko in the 70's. Dylan had signed copies being sold of his last album from one online retailer - probably the only time he's made autographs officially available as I don't think he's ever done an in-store.

8. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Do I think John is underrated? Nah. But I like to see him get due credit for his accomplishments nonetheless.

Some random Fogerty/CCR thoughts:

CCR wasn't like the Beatles at all. They dressed in flannel and sang of swamps, UFOs and bad moons. And that's why I love them.

I wasn't alive when CCR was together. My interest in them started with hearing "Bad Moon Rising" on some "oldies" radio show, then later I bought some budget CCR comp on cassette. It just grew and grew from there, I bought every album and sheet music. In my later high school years I learned a lot of Fogerty guitar parts (I especially loved "Pagan Baby").

Once I listened to Mardi Gras and knew the story behind it, I knew who was the brains behind CCR. So while a reunion might have been nice, I've thought John's always done fine with his own bands when covering it.

I still love Blue Moon Swamp, and I know I've listened to it more than any solo Beatles album.

Nice little side note: John got married to his wife at a country club just down the road from me, and, last I knew, still has a house in a neighboring town to where I live.

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

If that's the case, could you go by and see if he's buried the Hoodoo master tapes in his backyard? ;) Arnie

mrjinks likes this.
  10. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Heheh. :) As much as I would love to hear the album proper, I gotta draw the line at backyard digging. If I would ever bump into him, I'd definitely say thanks for the music..

11. Russ Gary

Russ Gary Engineering Legend

This has been an interesting thread. I did not make the connection between Run Through The Jungle and Old Man Down The Road until I learned about the plagerism suit. I still don't hear a bonfide comparison between the songs or reason for JF to have been sued .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.