Is Leon Russell getting too much exposure?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joepepitone, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

He's still got a lot to give musically; he just needed someone who knew him well and had the balls, foresight and talent to get the best out of him.
    Elton achieved that; it's a remarkable accomplishment.

2. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I agree. Elton was very gracious to him in Pittsburgh last week and you could see he is genuinely moved playing with Leon.

3. htbomb

htbomb Hot Rod

Leon deserves all the exposure he can get.
    I've owned and enjoyed The Best of Leon Russell CD for years.
    Always liked his side on Bangla Desh since I bought the LP as a kid.
    Recently listened to Joe Cocker's Classics CD again and the standout tracks are the ones Leon was involved with. Curious why Joe hasn't stepped up to the plate or has he?

4. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member

i think Leon's mic wasn't up enough, plus it didn't help to have that one shrieking backup singer who managed to distract from even Elton, whose voice was powerful, as usual... it was probably too much for Leon to compete with, physically, so he wasn't heard, but you could see his lips moving... i thought i detected him taking the lower register, but again, who the hell could tell over that annoying shrieking and all the many blaring instruments on that stage...

despite having been out of the Big Spotlight, Leon has never stopped releasing albums or touring... he's just flown way under the radar, that's all... he clearly still loves what he does...

i've been wondering the same thing, myself.... at the beginning of this year, i guided myself to Leon, intuitively, no lie... i happened to seek him out on YouTube, looking for Tightrope, unaware who it was by, and i posted it on Facebook, with little or no regard to him.... a day or so later, i did the same with Joe Cocker's "The Letter", suddenly i needed to hear it, found the video, and once i saw the sexy face of that piana player, i was a total goner..... on went my Leon obsession and i haven't been the same since :D .....viewing that concert footage, and knowing that Delta Lady was such a huge hit for Cocker, i'm wondering, too, about his reaction to Leon's revival... strange not to have heard anything by now, unless it's been kept that discreet?

in my hunt and hunger for more information, i discovered his current activities, and i've been on Cloud 9 about his recent attention.... during his performance of "A Song For You" at the Hall of Fame induction, he started to get very choked up while singing... it's difficult not to heave a little tear myself when i hear that, because you wonder what was going on in his mind as he was singing it to cause such a genuine emotional reaction.... i'm sure it's not the memory of Rita Coolidge, who it was written about/for.... i'd wager it's the fact that his "life is over", or he feels he's toward the end, which he is (let's face it), and sitting behind that piano, being honored, and singing with his wife and family nearby, and all the gratitude he's felt toward Elton for bringing him out of the "ditch on the highway of life", as he described it, probably all came together at once and overwhelmed him....how often do we see this happening anymore, or have, at all?

is Leon getting too much exposure?.... no way, not at all.... it's way past due and he only deserves more.... he's had his peak, and now he's enjoying his place in history, where he belongs... thank goodness, and Elton, that it's happening while he's still around to enjoy it all, and know exactly how much he's loved and appreciated...

5. 3ringcircus

3ringcircus Forum Resident

If Leon doesn't appear too spry these days, it might have something to do with his advanced age. After all, he just turned 70 on Saturday.

6. pencilchewer

69, but who's counting? :D

7. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Or, at least, he was, and for that much I'm grateful.

I've not been much of an Elton John fan since about 1972, but I'm blown away by his generosity to Leon when he did not have to do anything remotely close to what he has done.

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

You got that right.

9. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It's just refreshing to see an older artist, of any stripe, receive appreciation during his/her actual lifetime.

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Russell is a forgotten legend who deserves whatever renewed exposure he's getting right now.

The only legitimate question would be: Is all this exposure and work good for the man? And while I would maybe question that, owing to his health, that's a question that he really needs to answer for himself. And he seemingly has.

Oh, and just FYI
    Maybe Elton can do an album with David Gates next :)

11. pencilchewer

awesome tidbit, thanks! :righton:

12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Here are David Gates and the Accents:

David Gates is on the left. Leon Russell (Russell Bridges) is bottom right. Photos is circa 1958. I know it's sacrilege, but I like Leon better clean cut.

Attached Files:

13. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

No. LR is a musical treasure.

14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

What's he wearing?

15. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Just an 'ol Okie. Love the guy...

16. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

More interest in Leon Russell? Well he deserves it, but I can't resist saying ... "and Leon's getting larger!" :laugh:

--Geoff

17. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I still regret not making the pilgrimage to Crestone, Colorado to see him in a very small venue... :(

18. hipster006

hipster006 Forum Resident

i saw leon on his own with a band earlier this year. he was great. almost all older material and he did sign stuff afterwards. he still has it!

19. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

At least I have the DCC gold CD to listen to, as well as a live album (SH-Mastered)... :love:

20. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I note that Hip-O Select's 6-CD set of the complete Mad Dogs & Englishmen shows in NYC has finally sold out. A non-numbered limited edition of 2,500 copies, it took nearly 6 years to sell out. But if you're a Leon fan, it's Holy Grail material.

21. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

A greatest hits collection helped EJ get to RL, but Spectacle is where this started..

Got the Best of Leon Russell Cd last night (Music from EMI). Played it on the way home. A really fun listen; it can't touch what DCC did with his first two albums, but I sure liked the track selection, heard some great tunes I never had before, and overall I found it funand rocking, and well worth getting if you only have a few early LR albums--on Lp or Cd.

cheers,

22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I think you're over-thinking this. This is a good period in Leon's life ... according to Leon.

23. pencilchewer

i had a ticket to see him on Feb 1st but it got snowed-out and postponed... so far no replacement show has been announced, so i'm hoping they don't decide to cancel and refund altogether....it was for a tiny venue in Connecticut, about an hour and a half away from me, but it's Leon, so i'll drive the 3 hours...

24. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

He does look a little uncomfortable in these Elton/Leon TV appearances.
    I don't think he ever smiles, but then again, I don't remember ever seeing him smile.

25. pencilchewer

aaaaaand i just hung up the phone with the venue and sure enough, the show's been cancelled and my money's getting refunded.... :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.