Is 'Let it Be' DVD finally coming?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DeYoung, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

I think of this as something like Francis Ford Coppola's refusal to release Hearts of Darkness because he was afraid that one particular line would be misinterpreted. I think he was, a) wrong that we couldn't figure it out from context, b) forgetting that he could address it in any combination of commentary and bonus features, and c) being a big baby.

It's not like Let It Be is a precious secret that nobody can be allowed to know. The secret it out, lads (and Yoko and Olivia). We've seen it. All that's left now is for the thing to speak for itself...plus whatever you care to add.

This at the very least. I think a lot more than 2 disks though.

One of my favorite parts of the Magical Mystery Tour deluxe set was the extent to which they were very forthright about the project not being very good. I completely disagree. Maybe I'm layering my own fond memories on top, but yeah, it was kind of goofy, but it was a lot of fun. The musical parts were, to me, spectacular. But they didn't feel any need to gloss over its poor reception, or the ways in which it was underbaked. Easy enough for them to do with this too.

And in any case, MMT was fthere or me to decide myself how badly I wanted to see it, and how much extra stuff I wanted. Deluxe box set for me, without a blink.

For Let It Be, the deluxe box set should be another disk or two. Even if they wanted to cut out the chatter and focus on the music, this stuff has been floating around on bootlegs for years, and some of it priceless.

Please, I'm begging you guys (and Yoko and Olivia): take my money for as many disks as you feel like putting out. Give me more stuff, and I'll give you more money.

George Blair likes this.
  2. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Thanks for the link, but you're right about the last line! Jeez... nothing worse than seeing a lucky fan getting a chance to interview Ringo or Paul, and all they do is mention The Beatles, quote lyrics, and blab on about what a fan they are and what (retro)memorabilia they have.

But at least Ringo addressed the LET IT BE release subject. I'm just not sure if he is being optimistic or if he knows it's being readied.

mindgames likes this.
  3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Unless I am mistaken possibly Apple and estates are treating "Let It Be" (like "white elephant in the room"). For YES since Anthology was televised, VHS, Laserdisc, DVD boxset, etc...

Most of the folks who watched the televised program were able to see Paul & George squabble on film, so nothing new there, today the younger generation can Stream the Anthology @ Netflix. So what else could be the hold out, maybe a New edit should be done as suggested here or other Forums online.

Other than Ron Howard working now with a "Live" project what's the long delay, ad nauseu repeat announce that it's forthcoming again every 12 years??

4. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

If they didn't want us to see it, they never should have "teased" us with the cleaned up footage Anthology had in 1996. Of course, the same could be said for Shea! GET IT OUT before we're all dead!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  5. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

There are some fine downloads available on Usenet's alt.binaries.beatles of the cleaned-up Let It Be film that have stereo sound when available and very very good picture quality. They seem to have edited in the sound from the PurpleChick Nagra stuff so even the mono parts have superb sound. Although the binaries of the movie that have become available to us are certainly not as good as what Apple has, these binaries make watching the movie much more enjoyable than the VHS, Beta, or LaserDisc versions were (I have the LaserDisc version and it's pretty blurry and the sound stinks on it). The important characteristics that these downloads have is that the Rooftop and Jan 31st performances have superb video and audio.

6. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

That still exists!!?? :eek::eek:

numer9 and sparkydog like this.
  7. feinstei9415

Forte Agent and their news server is your best friend....

8. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

We were inseparable about 15 years ago but sadly lost touch with each other.

Chip TRG and jtiner like this.
  9. feinstei9415

Isn't it time to forgive and forget? I know that Miss Usenet can be stern and kind of b*tchy at times, but she has a good heart and there's lots of wonderful 24 bit stuff as well as DTS multi-channel stuff that you can download from her. She's also undergone quite a bit of therapy with Dr. NZB which allows you to easily search with the BinSearch web page withouth having to download zillions of headers like you used to have to do.

The investment in her is only about $3.00 a month and she retains a great memory. Please, give her another chance to be your inseparable friend! I know that she longs to be by your side once again, giving you all sorts of binaries.

Chip TRG and Vidiot like this.
  10. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

She charges for it now?! She did it for free back then......

I might look her up, see what she looks like these days.

11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Indeed. In the reality TV show era, this kind of thing is a shoo-in. That said, there's probably enough stuff on LIB to do an Anthology-length series on it...

12. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

13. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

chilinvilin and Grand_Ennui like this.
  14. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

The Live Project isn't happening until 2016 and now we know that Let It Be isn't happening this year either. So what's Apple gonna put out there for Christmas 2015? A super deluxe version of the White Album? Yeah I can continue to dream.....

15. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

People always make such a big deal about the "I'll play whatever you want me to play..." discussion...Christ, my old high school garage band probably had more heated squabbles than that little exchange!

numer9 and jl151080 like this.
  16. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I don't believe that is the reason at all for it's non-reissue. I think Paul is embarrassed at the mediocre musicianship and poor attitudes on display. And maybe his own bossiness...

17. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I believe that someone has revealed that it's not Paul who is resisting the release.
    Whatever the reason is, it's not as if there weren't already clips presented out there in various places - Anthology, even.

18. Jose Jones

Nobody knows for sure. It's all theories and conjecture. But if they waited til 2019 for the 50th anniversary of it, that wouldn't surprise me.

19. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

It's a good moment though, George airing his feelings there. (Though I've always sided with Paul that it is his song, and so he has the right to have it played the way he wants it).

20. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Well, yeah, that too:laugh:
    I always thought the most telling thing George says in the whole exchange is his little aside how Paul doesn't annoy him anymore, like things had gotten to that point:laugh: Still, tempest in a teacup...The Beatles had much heavier discussion than that at Twickenham. They actually should have filmed some of those:righton:

21. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I doubt that. He was the one who had Let it Be Naked produced and released, because he thought the unvarnished pre-Spector versions of some of the songs were cool to have out there.

22. Jose Jones

The music holds up on its own. The music has always been in print and available. My point was that the visuals and dialogue dominate any time there is a "film" involved, and that is why the principals could not agree to put it back out there for decades now. It's not that fun to see John more interested in Yoko than in discussing a live gig to end the film.

23. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Anybody who wants this probably already has a grey market copy. My advise for the official release would be a box set that recreates the original UK box (better packaging) with the book/new all-analog lp. And add in the DVD or BluRay multi disc set. That would be a deluxe box I would buy.

hidden1one likes this.
  24. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Indeed it does.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

What's baffling is that the Let It Be squabble between George and Paul was used by Scorsese in the Harrison Living in the Material World documentary done by Martin Scorsese in 2011. Scorsese had made it clear that he had to have full access to all Harrison footage, so a clip of the argument did make it to the 3-1/2 hour film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.