Is 'Let it Be' DVD finally coming?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DeYoung, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peter

peter Senior Member

100% true. The Rooftop gig is amazing in every way.

vegafleet, snkcube, supermd and 4 others like this.
  2. peter

peter Senior Member

I will add, that if LIB is re-released, there better be not one second removed at the request of anyone.

3. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Voices in your head aren't reliable sources.

snkcube, supermd, numer9 and 4 others like this.
  4. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

And why did they retire from performing live? They were "ashamed" of their 1966 performances, which they openly admit in the Anthology. Artists know very well, when they do perform badly. Same with the Let it be-movie.
    "Let it be naked" was an attempt to "rescue" the project. If "Let it be naked" had been a huge success, I'm pretty sure they had re-edited the movie as well. But it wasn't and they simply do not like the original for good reasons. It's not up to their usual standard.

botley likes this.
  5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

There are interesting alternate arrangements and there are some other standout versions, but no more than 5 percent of them have the energy level they hit at all the rooftop versions. And I have studied this stuff closely listening to the whole month of music at least 3x.

6. It's been a few weeks since the film was discussed. We were starting to feel that we might be forgetting what we said last time. :)

7. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Well, the very next day they didn't have to contend with the weather as they were playing live in the studio.
    Personally, I find the rooftop performance FAR more interesting and appealing than the studio performances (where they were warm and had no wind). Take into account that George and John's amps were turned off for a portion of one version of Get Back, but they still pulled through. John muffs the words on DOn't L
    Of course, the rockers were played on the roof, which is also part of the appeal, the studio performances were ballads.
    And Magical Mystery Tour film was issued in BluRay because it is such a great film and ranks right up there with the very best of the Beatles works?

slane likes this.
  8. misko

misko Forum Resident

I think the very fact that they are engaged in making this new "Live " documentary with Ron Howard rather than putting Let It Be Out says it all. It is a low priority .

AlienRendel likes this.
  9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Not gonna happen.

10. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

As I've said before.......any release forthcoming....I'll believe it when I see it. Too much hype since the cleaned up stuff on Anthology.

11. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Well I will buy it if and when they release it. But I sure hope they issue it both as it originally was and then expanded. I for one would like to have the whole rooftop concert warts and all with no cutaways to people on the street

12. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

The "quotes" were highly satirical of course, but change "Last I heard" to "Last I read." The source is VVN Music (Paul and Ringo Block Release of Let It Be). Online,not in my head).

13. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I have a nice bootleg dvd of Let it Be, I will not be buying this new one. I will have to admit, the best part of this movie is the last part when the Beatles play on the roof, then the Bobby's come and put an end to it. Most of the movie is really boring. Watch it once maybe twice and that's it.

14. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

It is a bummer but the roof top performance is really good.

15. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Absolutely! A director's cut without the involvement of the director.

Zeki likes this.
  16. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Well, that's a SPOILER ALERT, sir!

William Barty and supermd like this.
  17. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

The content of the "story" and the humour is definitely debatable and not everyone's cup of tea. But the music is brilliant, you see the only performance or "I am the Walrus".

mooseman likes this.
  18. slane

slane Forum Resident

Hmm...a mimed 'performance' of IATW vs. a true live performance of songs on the Apple roof...no contest.

Mark Wilson and Arnold Grove like this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Hmm... a mimed version of "Your Mother Should Know" with the Fabs dancing down some stairs in tuxedos vs. a true live dance performance of John and Yoko in ratty threads waltzing during "I Me Mine" ... no contest !!!

Hmm... Mal Evans in a wizard's hat vs. Mal Evans banging a hammer on an anvil during "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" ... no contest !!!

Hmm... a clip of Jan the striper backed up by The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band vs. Paul with a beard ... no contest !!!

;)

20. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

We have heard all sorts of rumors. Some saying that it's Paul and Ringo who are blocking it, others saying that it's Yoko and Olivia. I even heard that allegedly George Harrison at his death requested that LET IT BE never be released. I really would like to know exactly what is true and what isn't. And most of all, I would like to see this question about blocking LIB put to each of these four people whenever there are future interviews with them.

21. Arnold Grove

Yep, I'm sure that was the #1 thing on George's mind when he was knocking at heaven's door:

Doctor: "Do you have any last words George?"
    George: "The body is only a material figment of our imagination. It is meaningless. Now, at last, the spirit begins another journey in an alternative form. It is serene and peaceful and enlightening. BUT for Krishna's sake, DO NOT release that flippin' Let It Be film!!! That belongs in the dustbin of the filthiest trash. OHMMMMMMMM....."

;)

22. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Don't shoot the messenger. It's only one of the many things I've heard. :shrug: And I do agree it sounds ridiculous when you put it that way --- however, George must have had a list of 'wants' and 'don't wants', though not literally as his "last dying words".

23. Arnold Grove

No harmful intent towards you. I was just injecting some humor.

Note: The Let It Be film re-release has been bandied about since the 2003 when Let It Be Naked first came out. We've probably had a dozen threads (probably more) where this has been discussed since then. And from the very start, Nik seems to have had an inside scoop on who is the cause of the delays. If you search them out, you'll see that he has been very consistent in his posts over the last 10 years. Take his word for it.

My opinion: I think Jeff Jones believes that this film should be re-released. And I think over the past few years he has indeed convinced the party blocking its release to change their mind and to allow it. BUT Apple does things very methodically. They've done the other films, and Let It Be is the only one left now. However, other projects pop up: The LOVE project; BBC stuff; The upcoming Ron Howard film; etc. But why won't they prioritize the Let It Be film, if indeed they want it out? Probably it comes down to $$$.

24. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

People often nominate Paul and Ringo as stopping LIB from being released but surely Yoko and Olyvia have the same power that Macca and Ritchie do?

With that in mind, at the risk of being called for Yoko bashing (as has happened before) maybe Yoko isn't so keen on an official release of a film that depicts John and her when they were heroin addicts or, at least, might, in her opinion, make either/both of them look bad.

25. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Don't want to spoil your illusions, but everything in "A Hard Days Night" and "Help" is also mimed.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.