Is Manowar a serious band?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tkl7, Dec 6, 2013.

1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

But the choir song was The Crown and the Ring

Yam Graham likes this.
  2. Highlight of the album.

3. vonseux

vonseux Re-channeled Stereo

Agreed 100% but think about it.

They would never make triumph of steel and louder than hell with Ross.

This also means they would never become a stadium/arena band,

In a way Ross the boss is what kept the band on a garage, club band level. Albeit a very good one!

4. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

Err... Manowar a stadium band? Ross keeping the band at garage level?o_O
    Phew! What's that planet called you are from?:laugh:

If all, I'd say Ross contributed LARGELY to the rise of Manowar, and they would never be where they are without his input!
    I go even further and say everything after "Kings Of Metal" was either totally overladden with pathos or so restricted you could also call it dumb...
    I agree "Triumph Of Steel" and "Louder Than Hell" would definitely have sounded differently than they do - musically better! :D
    Those two albums (and everything else that came after) sound somewhat hollow...
    I said it before, I wasn't aware of Ross's importance until I heard "Ross The Boss" (the band) - since then, I know what I miss with Manowar from 1990 on onwards.

However, I guess I know what you mean: Manowar are far from being a Biker band ever since "Triumph Of Steel". Ross delivered a certain grounded attitude, and one can argue "down to earth" is the opposite of what Manowar aim(ed) for.
    Without him, Joey could realize his vision uncompromised, and if that is what you favour, than the better for you.
    I for one think Ross balanced that pathos out with his ideas, and his riffage is far more interesting than Joey's anyway. Still, Joey writes great songs, I think "Warriors Of The World" was splendidly fantastic.

fretter, elgoodo and Pouchkine like this.
  5. Club band level???? They were already playing arena's etc....
    For me...far more interesting band...and sound with Ross in the band.

Pouchkine and bzfgt like this.
  6. vonseux

Definitely.
    All the albums Ross recorded are classics and no album after his time even come close.
    BUT the super polished sound that they achieved later on is what cemented Manowar as headliners and able to reach to large audiences as seen on the Hell on Earth / magic circle tours.

Ross was definetelly their biggest loss, but it allowed Joey to go full-retard on the "kings of metal" approach.

7. el supernautico

Sorry, but I disagree.:)
    It's not a super polished sound that cemented them as headliners, it was part of their image from day one: Manowar never play as a supporting act (at least that's what they say), so that's that.

The "large" (a rather relative and forgiving word) audiences on the Magic Circle tours you speak of are the concrete consequence, especially if you struggle to find collaborative organizers:
    If no one wants to, you do it by yourself (dead-cheap prices are also always helpful) - and now, just guess who might be the headliner on such a self-organized festival?;)

IMO, Manowar did two admirable things only:
    - great music in the 80ties
    - soldiering on through the 90ties

Everything else is in consequence to that or derives from it: Big sound is achieved with big bucks, and metal fans tend to be very loyal - THAT's what keeps them alive.

Pouchkine likes this.
  8. vonseux

is there any video footage of Manowar playing to large crowds before 1990?

9. el supernautico

Not to my knowledge, and I wouldn't even say they played big halls before 1990 - but you're evading...

I referred to your theory on what "cemented Manowar as headliners", namely a "super polished sound" - something I don't agree with because of my already given explanation.
    Building up during the 80ties and staying true throughout the 90ties has ZERO to do with how big their venues were before 1990.;)

But hey, maybe there's just a misconception:
    They definitely had bigger commercial success after Ross left than during his tenure - it's just that I don't think it was BECAUSE Ross left.
    In that aspect, I see Manowar similar to AC/DC: They made unbelievably more money after Bon Scott had died, but it was him who took them there - 'ts all good, mate!:cheers:

E_Braunn_Fan, vonseux, obi and 2 others like this.
  10. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Unlike other bands who are hilariously serious.

Manowar are probably similar to Laibach, who are so over the top serious in their ridiculousness, its hard to tell.

Although this is my favourite thing about ultra serious bands, and often I pretend that they are actually performing dark comedy. It's the little things in life....

Pouchkine and bzfgt like this.
  11. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Does it really matter?

I'm reasonably persuaded there are harder cores of true Metallians in parts of central and eastern Europe where due to the privations of old style Soviet rule and Balkan war, they found in The Creed a catharsis not much else in music could deliver; see the old "scream for me, Sarajevo" Bruce Dickinson type affair (which aired on UK TV recently) in which I saw the high tensile emotional investment in Metal of fans whose passion had been wrought in cualdrons of woe most in 'the West' can thank their personal Gods they've never known.

I'm not saying Manowar directly align in the manner of almighty Bruce but their 'message,' howsoever nebulously defined or interpreted, probably finds a more willing audience across such lands.

Pouchkine, bzfgt and Yam Graham like this.
  12. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Actually, I've often programmed the CD to start with Metal Warriors and leave Achilles for last.

Achilles is good, but it's not a satisfying opener.

13. Dissidence

Dissidence Human

1-Metal Warriors 5/5
    2-Ride The Dragon 5/5
    3-Spirit Horse Of The Cherokee 5/5
    4-Burning 5/5
    5-The Power Of Thy Sword 5/5
    6-The Demon's Whip 5/5
    (7-Master Of The Wind) 5/5

:eek:

You can even "remove" Master Of The Wind (like a bonus track) if you want to end up on their best finish ever : "The Demon's Whip" (6'12 to the end.)
    And you are still at 35'15 in duration. No filler, best lineup, serious like hell, best full cover/poster ever...

(I listen Achilles alone. This is an album for me).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    vonseux likes this.
  14. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I'd never remove Master Of The Wind. I like it a lot.

And I wouldn't want to have Achilles all by its lonesome. I need something more when I feel like having a Manowar fix.

What I should do one day is just find a better place for Achilles within the album. Maybe after The Power Of Thy Sword. Then coming from Achilles I could see the next two tracks as an encore of sorts, going into the blast of Demon's Whip before letting Master Of The Wind wind things down as the closer.

15. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

That super-fast drumbeat at the end of "The demon's whip" always sounded like a drum machine to me.

16. vonseux

the best placement for Achiles is the thrash bin, the album is 5/5 without it

17. Dissidence

Dissidence Human

Yes, this is perfect drumming. ;)

18. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

I can't believe I read this entire thread. Don't know if I was educated or actually lost knowledge.

BDC, Anonamemouse and Yam Graham like this.
  19. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

You may remain in the Hall, fine Sir!

bzfgt likes this.
  20. progmanjum

progmanjum Forum Resident

Touring the world for 35 years...I'd call that pretty serious

21. Adfly7

Adfly7 Nebula 2 Closed Galaxy Bend

How more serious can any band get? Hail To England & Sign Of The Hammer are the best albums here. Cheers!

Yam Graham, vonseux and Trillmeister like this.
  22. Goggen

Goggen Forum Resident

Battle Hymns is one of the best metal albums released in the 80’s

vonseux, Trillmeister and bzfgt like this.
  23. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Surely you meant "fighting"!

lenny nero, vonseux and bzfgt like this.
  24. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Is there irony in Heavy Metal?

25. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Is there ironing in Heavy Metal?

Evethingandnothing and bzfgt like this.