Is Manowar a serious band?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tkl7, Dec 6, 2013.

1. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

A preview of Hell on Earth VI dvd for all you non-false ones

[​IMG]

hi_watt, wdiv, obi and 3 others like this.
  2. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Well, it's 2021, the band plays to hundreds of thousands of fans worldwide yet most folks on this forum think of them as a bunch of 80's stripper clowns.

hi_watt and bzfgt like this.
  3. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

Well, they can master both disciplines, can't they?:biglaugh:

(Sorry, I couldn't resist the joke - I like Manowar:winkgrin:)

4. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

I'm still awaiting the second installment of the 3EP series, that was promised for 2019. Guess Joey is still busy organizing another German World tour. On second thought, if it will contain more of Joey's "singing" I might pass on it. :)

obi likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

If the G-string fits! ;)

6. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I heard that Joey's working on a state of the art studio.

7. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Ironing Maidens.

Anthrax and bzfgt like this.
  8. priestman

priestman Well-Known Member

Some bands develop a schtick just to achieve enough notoriety to make a living off their art. I'm sure that was the case with W.A.S.P. (mainly Blackie Lawless) given their sudden shift to more mature lyrical content right after the whole PMRC debacle granted them infamy, or maybe it was because Lawless got sick of spitting out blood and raw meat.

With Manowar I'm not so sure, all I know is they're fun as hell!

E_Braunn_Fan likes this.
  9. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Metal is so patriarchal. :laugh:

Evethingandnothing likes this.
  10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It's 1982, the record is called Battle Hymns by this new band called Manowar - drop the needle on track #1 - Side A and are they serious?

11. EndorphinMachine

EndorphinMachine Forum Resident

Damn fine album.

I hate to defend Manowar to people who don't get it. Yes they are serious, but no you don't have to take them serious.
    But that's on the band too, they often pass the fine line between shtick and dedication.

12. vonseux

vonseux Re-channeled Stereo

can you imagine being there, doing that?

epic as hell

But for me, I remember my first contact with the band. Around the year ~2000 I was at a local club waiting for the next band to play, while on the screen they were playing some videos among was Return of the Warlords, where Manowar ride their "horses made of steel", the sound was of course super loud and It was fun enough to get me into the band.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    hi_watt and Deuce66 like this.
  13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Yes because I did just that, 1982 was a very strong year for hard rock/metal. Battle Hymns didn't crack my top 10 but it was good enough to get my attention, a fun over the top band.

vonseux and Warand Pain like this.
  14. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Well, like most debuts it was rather raw. I think they truly found their voice on the second album with Into Glory Ride being one of THE greatest heavy metal albums of all time.

Deuce66 likes this.
  15. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

My favourite from their debut:

ThunderDan, wdiv and bzfgt like this.
  16. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

For me, Battle Hymns is their best album by far. Into Glory Ride is great, but I think the songwriting on the debut is the best they ever did...

ThunderDan likes this.
  17. vonseux

He "issue" on the first album is that they were not a full Metal band yet - some of the tracks still have a rock n roll feel.

But a t the same time it includes possibly two defining song of their career : manowar and Battle Hymns.

Into glory ride is a glorified demo for the direction the band would undertake.

They really cemented their sound with Hail to England. Which can be called the first "true metal" album, the style they would continue to chase and be copied by other bands.

18. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I think they were pretty metal from the get go, yet there are understandable NWOBHM influences on the first record. The drums particularly sound very raw and NWOBHM. It's when Scott Columbus arrived that they found their true sound.

19. EndorphinMachine

They never improved Gloves Of Metal or Secret Of Steel. The reason of course is that would be scientifically impossible to do.
    That GOM riff might be perfection. So raw, so epic, just everything I want/need.

kyouki and vonseux like this.
  20. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Their first trio of albums are inviolate.

Battle Hymns is bereft of filler, peaking with the remarkable 'Dark Avenger.'

Into Glory Ride always suffered because of its unbalanced sound quality (fixed with profound success via the remix 16 years later) but dazzled with 'Gates Of Valhalla' (arguably Eric's finest moment) and 'Revelation [Death's Angel.']

Hail To England was beyond heavy and stands alone, like a solitary warrior on the frozen steppes of some barren wasteland, calling for its Eagle of Molten Sanctity through either 'Kill With Power' or 'Bridge Of Death.'

The mark of ManÖwaR's overt metallicism is that they are resolutely ignored by 99% of Metal 'culture,' be it mags, radio shows or general online review type commentary.

They may or may not have armadillos in their trousers but conventionality runs, screamin...'

But we know... we know...
    :cheers:

bzfgt, lenny nero and GarySteel like this.
  21. vonseux

Agree, those two tracks are pure awesomeness.

I also like that "secret of steel" makes me think of the Conan movies The Riddle of Steel

Check the 2019 of you haven't yet. They used the original drum mic'ing instead of triggered (?) ones from the original release.

kyouki and EndorphinMachine like this.
  22. vonseux

Well. I wouldn't give so much credit to Scott (RIP).

It's clear from interviews how much Joey controlled his ass.

Also, he's never been anything above average as a metal drummer and all his pads were triggered live or in the studio.

23. EndorphinMachine

You're not the only one, the Conan OST is a bit of a cult-classic in epic-metal circles.

Do you mean the one with the new artwork and all? I avoided it, as I don't like them meddling with history, but if you recommend it I'll definitely check it out!

24. vonseux

Yep. It's definetelly worthy checking if only for the drums.

EndorphinMachine likes this.
  25. ThunderDan

ThunderDan Forum Resident

I checked out Battle Hymns, and it's AWESOME!
    I have a feeling I won't like the later albums that much, but this record is a masterpiece!

Anthrax and bzfgt like this.