Is Rock music dead ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Mar 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Metallica are still pretty good .. but their from the mid eighties.

2. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

The Beatles are good too

Choba b CCCP likes this.
  3. alexpop

This. Guess if your old( me) you’ve been spoiled . There’s more of a incentive to becoming a DJ, rather than being a RNR ⭐️ these days.

4. alexpop

RS ... now they could rock!!!!!!

Somerset Scholar likes this.
  5. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

The laws of Quantum Rockabilly Mechanics state that Rock is both alive and dead until you open the limited edition box set and find out for yourself.

ARK, HfxBob and peskypesky like this.
  6. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

To seek validation from others of their choice to not be interested in new music by broadbrushing it as inconsequential or "dead", as well as to perpetuate their own sense of groupthink superiority derived from either belonging to the so-called golden generation/era of music or jumping on its bandwagon to then posture as an arbiter of taste while bashing the music of "clueless millennials."

all24bits, Kevin j and MikeManaic61 like this.
  7. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

yes we are clearly in agreement. Rock music is of course not dead.

8. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

how have you been spoiled more than my generation or the current generation?

9. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Yes it is. The best stuff though will be "conserved" for the ages, like classical music.

Like my 16 year old only listens to new rap songs and classic rock/heavy stuff like Zeppelin, Sabbath, Purple, Metallica, Slayer, Tool, etc

Zero "new" "rock" bands, and, no, Tool ain't a new band ....

10. alexpop

History speaks for itself.

11. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

that’s not an answer or at least not a very good one. You try to speak as if what you are saying is facts and not just your opinion. Your history is not my history.

12. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Here in the UK, there was a hugely popular prime time TV show called Top of the Pops. It started in the 1960's and continued all the way to 2006. It was on the national broadcaster station called the BBC so always had a wide accessibility.
    Despite the plug being pulled in 2006, the game had been up for a while, about a decade in fact. It is a barometer.

Svetonio likes this.
  13. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Ultimately history shows tons of rock bands that thrived in the 90s and into the 21st century, and even though rock as a genre increasingly has lost its mainstream dominance to pop/hip-hop, there still to this day are many novel rock bands and many many people who listen to and go see live. By default, rock cannot be dead because of that simple fact

But it is a catch-22 because I feel like for many of the "rock is dead" people will either bash newer rock bands for sounding too much like the bands from their heyday, or bash newer rock bands actually doing novel and interesting stuff that may have different musical elements in the mix because they "aren't real rock", then citing the older bands they love as what they should aim for. A fitting a 1990 square peg into a 2020 round hole, so to speak

I feel like the real question isn't whether rock is dead or not, but why there is a tendency of not being able to say "I prefer the music of my heyday" and leave it at that?

ARK and The Bishop like this.
  14. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

You know, I've been listening to a lot of really killer recent jazz from the likes of Allison Miller, Anna Webber, Ambrose Akinmusire, Amirtha Kidambi and that's just in the A's! And jazz has been dead for many decades. So....I can only hope rock is as dead as jazz.

danasgoodstuff and sthornt1 like this.
  15. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Rock is still very much alive. But the "industry" has pushed it underground.

You used to be able to see "rock" everywhere and hear "rock" everywhere. BUT, "rock" doesn't turn a profit the way it used to. It no longer addresses the target market for maximum income.

"Rock" used to ride in the limo... but these days, it's at the back of the bus. But it's still there.

Artists that have "one hit wonders" don't tend to have just ONE SONG ever made. They have more material, the "industry" just doesn't shine light on it.

"Rock" has essentially become a B-SIDE. But it is still very much a thing. You dig for rock, you can still find the diamonds.

16. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

When you read the posts you can see there's another word that needs to be defined in this context: "dead".

Babysquid and Tristero like this.
  17. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Dead for me means something that was once universal is now a niche. My son is a Youtube freak and talks about dead channels. A guy is getting 25000 views and used to get a million -- his channel is "dead." Rock, like swing, Dixieland, Stephen Foster songs was once huge, now its audience is more selective. --I call that dead, your view may vary.

18. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

But "classic rock" is still generating serious dollars.

19. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

It does. Not dead. Lots of good young rock bands around to keep the flag flying.

20. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

One thing seems safe to say - it's very difficult for a young rock band to achieve a commercial breakthrough.

The Bishop and pig bodine like this.
  21. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Leave it to Pete to express it so perfectly in so few words: rock is dead, they say--long live rock.

22. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Among the college students I work with, I observed Classic Rock turn into the pejorative Dad Rock, and then back into Classic Rock. I think its plundering in TV shows and movies has made huge swaths of the Classic Rock canon cool again.

What is different is how it's all the same. We older listeners think of the Beatles and Supremes as being from a distinctly different era than, say, the Eagles or Fleetwood Mac, but the students basically group anything 20th Century into one blob.

23. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Sure, it’s different now, but these things go in cycles: you’ll just need a bunch of young kids to set the rock world on fire.

They might not even be born yet.

24. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I’m so glad we still have AiC, though I was unaware that younger audiences have a clue as to who they are.

poisonedhangman likes this.
  25. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

How about the original bands or what's left still touring to many fans and still releasing music? Cheap trick, Styx, Foreigner, Kansas, ELO, Alice Cooper, Kinks, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Ringo Starr, Billy Joel, ECT...

The Bishop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.