Is Rock music dead ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Mar 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

That some people can still read Latin or Old English doesn’t make those languages living languages.

2. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Not according to streaming sites

3. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

Sounds like somebody has been listening to Gene Simmons....never a good idea

4. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

I wouldn't say dead exactly but certainly not what it once was.
    No longer a driving force but too early for an elegy and a dirge.

5. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

6. thehatandbeard

thehatandbeard Forum Resident

Can’t answer without a definition of ‘rock music’ and ‘dead’.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  7. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Not that I know of.

8. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Bands like Rival Sons, Greta Van Fleet (like or hate them), Arctic Monkeys, Tame Impala, etc. still pull in decent audiences

Rock as a genre, legacy acts notwithstanding, don't pull as much as the popular pop acts comparatively however relatively less grander-sized stadiums hardly means the entire genre is dead. It has plenty of fans and plenty of acts, and there is still a large amount of people who still dig it

carlwm likes this.
  9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

carlwm likes this.
  10. Both of those languages "live" in the sense that they've influenced their more modern variants. Which have proliferated quite successfully. Which is akin to the way that traditional folk music forms function. I also find the time frame for passing judgement on the vitality of some part of the musical archive or another to be absurdly brief. Worthy contributions last, and unworthy ones don't. The archive of recorded music is only about one century old, and I think that's a little to early to be comparing any of it to Latin. Although I suspect that comparison was made simply in order to be tendentious.

I now realize that I should not have gotten involved in this discussion, which is plainly centered about taking some pro or anti position that proceeds from assumptions about the definition of what "rock" is or isn't. I think that's silly. I'm not a genre dicer, I'm a genre splicer. And "mourning the passing of rock" sounds to me more like mourning the passing of a cultural hegemony that was undeserved, to the extent that made a pretense of existing at all. I don't miss the era of the high tide of Rockism. I've been through decades of having popular music radio waves saturated with a preselected "canon" of increasingly stale programming that's left much of the audience mis-educated about both the history of its achievements and the array of artists and the possibilities they've explored. And that dumbing down for the purpose of herding listeners into consumer markets doesn't just go for "rock music." Whatever Genre Label of music that's currently enjoying its commercial peak of popularity is to a large extent similarly contrived and manufactured.

My prediction is that the good stuff will last, whatever the "genre." There's a sell-by date on the rest of it- and no matter how In it might be at present, once it's Out, it will really be Out.

And with that, I'm out of this conversation.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    danasgoodstuff likes this.
  11. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

It’s not dead but it’s in danger of becoming extinct. It’s slowly dwindling.

12. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

Yes, but don't worry there's always a revival.

13. Rafael Blues

Rafael Blues Forum Resident

I know there were girls, in high school many girls were crazy about Kurt Cobain. It doesn't matter if they were boys or if they were girls, what matters is that the show most of the time was **** and that's one of the reasons why rock has lost so much relevance in the last two decades. In my opinion the biggest reason for the loss of relevance of rock was that it stopped being about happiness and enjoyment and became about sadness and lamentation. Nirvana is lament, Korn is lament, Green Day is lament Alice in Chains is lament, Emo is lament. People in general want to listen to music to have fun and be happy, when all you have is regret, you certainly will not please many people.

Somerset Scholar, AB40 and Fullbug like this.
  14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yawn,

and

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

stax o' wax likes this.
  15. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

[fakefemalevoice/]Well it was coughing up blood last night.[fakefemalevoice/]

slipkid likes this.
  16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I think it might just be pining for the fjords...

tootull, Stone Turntable and Raylinds like this.
  17. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

This is an ex-parrot!

slipkid likes this.
  18. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

None of those have died, folks doing new work in all of them, maybe not as good or as significant, but that don't make them dead.

slipkid and Big Blue like this.
  19. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

If you think rock ‘n’ roll is dead, you are looking in the wrong places (or not looking at all).

dunkoid, slipkid, ARK and 2 others like this.
  20. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

21. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Well or dead but still shuffling around, looking for brains to eat.

carlwm likes this.
  22. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Guitar sale are down big time. That sure is a sign.

23. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

I just saw Sloan last night and I got to geek out afterwards and tell Chris Murphy that he is my favorite songwriter of the last 25 years and that I actually cover one of his songs at my work. Once Sloan and Weezer hang it up and call it a career I think rock will be mostly dead for me, unless a new band carries the torch and produces songs that would have been a hit circa 1972.

24. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

"We're all legacy acts, kid."

25. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I’m guessing the one who’s core audience is mainly in their 40’s and has more disposable income? :D

shadowlizard likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.