Is rock out of the conversation?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pathosdrama, Jul 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qwyjibo

qwyjibo Forum Resident

Not sure I agree about QOTSA. Like Clockwork was the best album they've done so far and was pretty well-received both commercially and critically.

Bowieboy likes this.
  2. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I agree. Lullabyes To Paralyze and Era Vulguris weren't the best but Like Clockwork was a major return to form for them. Many were angry when they lost the Rock Grammy to the fly by night pop act that is Imagine Dragons.

3. Beet

Beet Forum Resident

I was more referencing the future of the band, but I did hear that they are working on new music, so who knows.

Bowieboy likes this.
  4. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

It's funny that there are several threads saying Rock is dead while over in the Country threads everyone is complaining that there's no more true Country, it's all Rock.

jay.dee likes this.
  5. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Well that is true. Josh seems pretty content with producing and his side projects moreso than focusing mainly on QOTSA.

6. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

See this is what I don't understand. Why do people care so much about the Grammys or the R&RHoF? IMO that's part of the problem.

I keep saying that it doesn't mean what it used to, but ...Like Clockwork was a number one album in the US, number two in the UK. IMO it's more important than a Grammy.

Beet likes this.
  7. dmiller458

8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

It moved to hip hop.

c-eling, the sands and Beet like this.
  9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

That's because mainstream country music nowadays is more influenced by 70s-80s rock than they are with the classic country sound.

keyse1 likes this.
  10. BradOlson

When I want to hear Blues, I either turn on CDs/LPs of Blues music or I turn on the Venerable Music stream which mixes 78rpm jazz with a heavy amount of 78rpm era blues and hillbilly.

bhasenstab likes this.
  11. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

I will most certainly be looking that up, @BradOlson! Like you, it is my Blues collection, and box sets like "The Paramount Masters" and Muddy's "The Chess Box," etc. that keep me going. And I have a Tivoli Model One in my office, and it came with the offer of a Tivoli Radio app that connects it via Bluetooth to my phone or tablet, and bang, I am connected to Nostalgie Blues Radio from France, or other blues jukebox stations across the Internet that get me out of my collection for an afternoon here or there. Happy to add Venerable Music to my assortment. Cheers!

12. BradOlson

Venerable Radio - Music Of The 78rpm Era

13. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

That's right. N.W.A & Public Enemy were every bit as dangerous as any punk was to the mainstream. Straight Outta Compton & It Takes A Nation... were monstrous efforts. Nowadays, it seems like its moving out of hip hop, slowly but surely. That's ok, as long as the great music is there.

New rock bands have to be as unique & original as possible while still sticking to the very basic ingredients we consider essential for something to be labeled "rock". Otherwise, a band will just not be seen as rock or will be seen as a throwback, retro outfit, that's doing what's been done only not as good. It's a lose-lose case for the future of rock music, it would seem.

Lots of jazz heads hated fusion, & didn't call it real jazz. Same thing seems to be happening in hip-hop with many of the biggest stars being criticized & not being accepted as hip-hop, like Drake & Future. Even Kendrick Lamar's last album was called too weird by lots of people I know, kind of like Kanye & Outkast were/are.

Bowieboy likes this.
  14. If UR out of the loop it is.

15. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident Thread Starter

Have you read the thread? It's not of the usual "I can't find any freshness in current rock" flavour.

16. dmiller458

Can you give us some examples? Because I don't think we're hearing enough feel-good pop-oriented rock today.

I like the tune, but the guy's voice is too low in the mix for my taste.

17. qwyjibo

qwyjibo Forum Resident

QOTSA have announced a few shows this summer so it looks like they may be preparing for another album/tour cycle.

18. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

If I talk to people about rock it's usually about how rich the ageing rock stars are and how great they were forty years ago. The excitment that Springsteen or U2 brings does not rock so much. They envy their money. :)

19. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Will rock be 'back' when the Foo Fighters release a new album?

20. Randy Tater

Randy Tater Well-Known Member

I'd ask the same question about A Moon Shaped Pool. I love the album, but I don't see how it could be called "rock" at all!

21. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

It sounds like rock to me. The instrumentation, the sound. It's just that they've forgotten how to write songs (or probably decided not to do so) and the shapeless form they've adopted makes us think it's not really rock. Bowie did it with Dogs – and that was still 'rock'

Randy Tater likes this.
  22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Lots of solos with Radio Moscow also:

23. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

And industrial... :winkgrin:

24. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Who's conversation?

25. Have U read the thread title?
    Have U read the 1st Gort post??
    Has the OP availed himself to Mordern Rock resources that weren't available back in the day???
    #getoffmylawn
    =======
    Wake Up!
    Rock ain't dead!!
    And Rock is not dying!!!
    #RockStillRocks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.