Is Streaming the Future?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Feb 11, 2020.

1. LBC_Jet

LBC_Jet Forum Resident

I think you need to differentiate between streaming music from a service like Tidal (hi-rez) or Spotify (lossy), versus using your DAC/endpoint as a source. I have a PS Audio Directstream Jr DAC which serves as a Roon endpoint. I subscribe to Roon (not cheap). I have all of my CD's ripped to FLAC on my computer hard drive with a wired connection to the DAC. My new music purchases are almost always on HD Tracks in hi-rez. So with this setup I "stream" my music collection via my DAC source and Roon serves as a really nice interface, which I can use via my phone or tablet.

I used to subscribe to Tidal but rarely used it (lousy interface and not geared to my musical tastes). I'm not a big fan of Spotify due to the lossy sound (it's good, but not great). But it is good for sampling new music. With Roon I can stream internet radio. Only very few are in hi-rez, with JB Radio2 being my favorite, but they sound really good. So streaming services haven't been a big hit for me (yet).

My other sources are FM radio (Sansui TU-9900) and RtR tape.

Khorn and Kyhl like this.
  2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Streaming isn't the future it's by far the #1 source of revenue for the industry. 75% for 2018.

Streaming Made Up 75% of Music Industry Revenue in 2018

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has released its annual year-end music industry revenue report. Revenues from recorded music in the retail sector reached $9.8 billion in 2018, which marks a 12% increase from 2017. Last year marked the third consecutive year of double-digit growth driven primarily by increased revenues from paid streaming subscription services.

The RIAA reports that 75% of the music industry’s total revenue was indebted to subscriptions to streaming services last year. In 2018, streaming services such as Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, Amazon Music, and others reached more than 50 million subscriptions in the United States for the first time. Additionally, vinyl sales saw an increase of 8% from 2017, reaching the format’s highest revenue level since 1988. CD sales dropped 34%. View the full report.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

I'm sorry, this is not meant to be snarky but...

"Duh?"

4. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Perhaps. Its not mine.

My music listening is done in a time capsule where artists like Drake and Nicki Minaj don't yet exist. In no way will I be a part of any platform that has anything to do with the fast moving decline of civilization. I will revert back to shellac and Gramophones if need be. Ready for whatever GIFs and old man comments come my way.

5. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

I would think streaming will exhibit substantially quality improvement in not too distant a time. They’ll make improvements as long as they can sell them. Not bad by any means.

Laibach likes this.
  6. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

As many have alluded, to do it right (assume IMO) you need two types of streaming, home storage of owned files, plus a service. I use both but rely heavily on my owned catalog. The streaming service fills in the gaps to listen to what I don't own, and explore possible future purchases.
    I don't assume that what is available via streaming today will always be available via streaming in the future so keeping a personal catalog is important.

Ripping is time consuming and tedious. If you are past the point of investing in the process of ripping, spinning the discs is still an option however as pointed out, more and more new music doesn't have a spinning disc option. And I'm ok with that. Sometimes I won't opt for the hard copy and just purchase a download of a digital version to my stored library of files.

SandAndGlass, Kristofa and Khorn like this.
  7. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

Good move. When the aliens visit Earth the first thing they'd do is unplug the Internet to stop communications and all streaming.
    Meanwhile we'll have our 8-track, LPs and CDs to play while the lizard people take over - I'd rather go out in style than with silence :edthumbs:

8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Face it, "easy" is always going to win.

And, the user isn't going to see that he's losing, until it's too late in the growth of the platform.

9. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Streaming is replacing buying music online..

Bingo Bongo and TarnishedEars like this.
  10. Jacob29

Jacob29 Forum Resident

Streaming is now. I will not go back to buying digital media whether it is digital files or sa/cd. I have a couple hundred gigs of music on an external hard drive that hasn't been used in 5 years. For the amount I use it streaming is financially beneficial to me compared to buying and thare is vastly more selection and the added ease of use. I still like vinyl for physical media

andy749, DrZhivago, timind and 2 others like this.
  11. I posted this response on another thread.
    Streaming is very much the present.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

A huge majority of people don't pay for streaming services..they use the free versions of Pandora, iheart radio, tunein and Amazon Music(which has most of the services built in to one place and is included with Prime..). I stream Amazon music through an Echo connected to an input on my pre-amp. I must admit it is so cool to just use voice commands to play anything in the world. For a replacement for radio, it sounds fine to me too..not expecting it to match my server or vinyl.

13. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

"Don't you Know That You Can Count Me Out"....

It is not the future for many of us....long live physical media and actually owning the music you love and enjoy!

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  14. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Long live being able to add a convenient streaming service to our existing physical medias.

15. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I think streaming is great right now its my primary, really only, form of music consumption. Some of the comments about affordability puzzle me in the context of buying music. At the height of my CD consumption I was spending $40-100 a month on discs. I subscribe now to both Tidal and Qobuz for a combined price of $35. The amount of music available to me from the two sites combined is astronomical and grows every week. There is so much to explore and discover I love scrolling through the Jazz and Conversation thread here and as I see what someones listening to finding it and streaming it. Or reading a record review or audio component review and finding music mentioned in the article as I am reading.

I also have a NAS with about 3.5 TB of music and setting it up was not that difficult and it works very well. I use an Auralic Aries Mini to stream all my music and am very happy with it. Previously I used both a Squeezebox Duet and a Sonos Connect. I also run my streamer to an outboard Dac which gives me excellent sound quality. I would say if you are intimidated by streaming it's really not as hard to setup as you think. And yes it is the present for the most part and the future for certain.

BeatleJWOL, Freebird and Eigenvector like this.
  16. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’m moving the opposite direction, but I do understand the appeal of streaming, especially when physical limitations make having to handle media an impediment to hearing music.

BeatleJWOL and Khorn like this.
  17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

If we ever get a FULL HD streaming service in Canada, it will be game over for me in terms of physical purchases unless it's unavailable in streaming. I'm trying out Amazon Music right now, sound quality is ok for albums with the Apple Digital Master tag (not quite CD quality let alone High Res) the ones that aren't a mixed bag from tolerable to terrible.

Khorn likes this.
  18. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

It is the present but I've always been an outlier anyway. To the masses, who aren't looking for live versions, alternative takes, and don't care about sound quality through their earbuds, it's fine. It's also fine for background music. I stream when I'm in the kitchen through that damn Alexa. But for me it will never be a substitute for playing lossless music on good equipment. Get off my lawn.

19. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Outside Apple Music I don’t have much streaming experience so decided to try a decent DAC/Streamer in my main system. I’ll give my impression after installation.

Freebird likes this.
  20. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

You realize you can stream up to 24/192 from Qobuz to your main system, right?
    Yes, Alexa plays background music whenever asked in my house. Well, first Alexa needs to be turned on. It usually is off. For the main system, Qobuz lossless is a button click away.

I don't ever plan to go 100% streaming. I've spent way to much time and money trying to find "audiophile" and early releases to give them up. To listen entirely to squashed current masters that could be replaced with something worse at any time? Nope.

21. I stream lossless music on good equipment.
    Some of the lossless is on my home server, but sometimes (like right now) it's from a lossless streaming provider.
    Currently playing this in glorious 24/96 FLAC ;)

[​IMG]

22. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

I completely agree with your choice but disagree that it is too demanding for all but techies.
    Sure but, if you really care, you do it.:righton:[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

23. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I refused to embrace streaming but I know lots of people who do stream music.
    I think it will take over.

24. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

I have used a Streamer with a hard disc for years now to listen to cd quality and 24bit music. I use Spotify to listen to music on the go and to check out new releases etc. The sound quality and convenience are great.

SeeDeeFirth and Khorn like this.
  25. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

A subset of music lovers will continue to play physical media or stream from a personal server but, my guess is, all of life will be in the *cloud* and most music will be delivered that way in not too many more years.

Kyhl, SeeDeeFirth and Khorn like this.