Is the Audio Desk REALLY an Ultrasonic Cleaning Machine?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mike from NYC, Feb 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It’s absolutely crazy to pay AD or KL (or even Kirmuss) price as a first cleaning system for a small starting-out collection, but it’s also really appealing to imagine having the convenience and effectiveness from the get-go, if that’s where a person is going to end up, anyway. Obviously the reality of cash flow is what makes it crazy... :shake:

BayouTiger likes this.
  2. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

I buy a lot of vinyl from charity shops. The AD is an absolute no brainer. I buy 20 records, put them through the AD, throw away the awful musty smelling paper sleeve and put them in MoFi sleeves. After which they sound great. What is not to like?

Big Blue, BayouTiger and Echoes Myron like this.
  3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

This is becoming the never ending debate.

4. dachada

dachada Senior Member

I assembled a Ultrasonic cleaning machine with a Elmasonic Ultrasonic cleaner. the unit have two ultrasonic frequencies 37 & 80 kHz. in 37 is a little noisy and 80 is kind of quite. Has also 3 different modes Sweep, Pulse and Degas. I use 80hz with Sweep mode for increased cleaning time run and it is hardly audible and do not see explosive bubbles

5. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Part of what you are paying for with the AD or KL (and I suppose the Degritter, which I haven't used), is one button convenience. I know that when I got my first AD, that was what most impressed me-- a high quality result with almost zero effort.
    The AD certainly has its quirks-- part of it may be due to the complexity of the thing, having a surface contact cleaning component (the rollers) as well as ultrasonic. (I do think it is ultrasonic, though it may not be very powerful--the test equipment to measure ultrasonic power is fairly expensive to do at home).
    I did give the OP a link (from Audiogon) to a fellow who figured out how to replace the pump himself. I gather the unit is glued together, so it obviously isn't meant to be repaired in the field.
    Robert Stein, who imports/distributes them in the U.S.(The Cable Company), is a pretty reasonable guy to work with.
    If I were just starting out, I don't know that I'd buy an ultrasonic as my first machine particularly if acquiring used records-- I found it necessary to have a vacuum machine in addition to ultrasonic.
    I just helped a younger friend who is very knowledgeable about music acquire his first serious record cleaning set up-- using a VPI 16.5, AIVS # 15, I gave him a gallon or so of reagent grade 1- he bought an extra wand/pillar for the rinse step. He's delighted with the results and it is pretty cost effective.
    I think the Elma is probably the gold standard for US bench top baths that are available to consumers. At a price. But, DIY is not one button convenience. And that's the other side of US cleaning-- the difference in results from more conventional wet/vacuum cleaning.

6. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Anyone else see that KL is no longer going to build/sell their cleaner? They posted the news up on their website today.

7. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Just went to KL website. They say they cannot make money manufacturing the RCM and selling it at their current price. This is actually a good thing. It says that there are more affordable options in RCM's that consumers who use RCM's are choosing to by over the KL machines. It is sad that KL cannot compete, but this is good for us consumers.

8. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

A pity to see it go *if* the KL is the best cleaner, as it will no longer be available to the community. Not saying it is the best cleaner, but it could be. Clearly they are pricing it too high and the competition at lower prices is too strong. I was looking at it a few years back and it was £4K in the UK, which was painful enough, but when I finally decided to try ultrasonic it had jumped to £6K. Bought the Audio Desk instead.

Competition good, but there's now one less player in the field.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.