Is the Byrds "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" part of your collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. auburn278

auburn278 Forum Resident

This may very well be my favorite album and is definitely in my top 5. I own it on LP, reel tape, CD, and a few other formats. Not to mention various pressings/releases across those formats.

2. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I know he was a fan, but I can't listen to much more than one George Jones sung song at a time so I prefer Gram there, but Merle is tough to compare anyone to. I've n ever gotten the 2 CD Sweetheart because I already have ISM's Safe At Home which they have made up disc 2 with... am I missing much if I have that plus the Sweetheart single disc with bonus alternate takes and one instro?

I like all the lineups of the Byrds, although the Clarence White era had a couple of pretty weak albums they're still worth having, like the 1973 original lineup reunion. The two Dillards '60s albums with Herb Pedersen are also essential to me, and the two Dillard & Clarks.

footlooseman likes this.
  3. CRadtke

CRadtke Forum Resident

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I think this video fits well here, although it's not a song from the "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" album. I don't remember watching any Byrds video from the time when Gram was still playing with them. Sorry if it was already posted.

4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Parsons didn't hijack the band, McGuinn and Hillman chose to put him in the driver's seat. And certainly, there was nothing to prevent McGuinn from abandoning country after Parsons left... it's silly to blame Parsons' five-month stint in the band for the direction McGuinn chose to continue taking for the next five years. Anyway, one could argue that Dr. Byrds and Mr. Hyde IS essentially McGuinn's "history of Amercian music" concept... it's got folk, blues, country, and rock. If you are unhappy with his execution of the concept, well, there's no reason to believe he would have done that much better if he'd done it six months earlier instead of Sweetheart of the Rodeo.

5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Only three of the five ISB tracks on the Legacy Edition are on the Safe at Home album. If you only have the single-disc Sweetheart of the Rodeo, then you don't have the master takes of "The Christian Life", "You Don't Miss Your Water", and "One Hundred Years From Now" with Parsons lead vocals, and those are pretty essential to any fan of the album. The Legacy Edition of the album also features "All I Have Are Memories" with vocals by Kevin Kelley, whereas the version you have is just an instrumental.

Actually, the version of the album I would recommend is the Japanese blue-spec disc from 2015. That gives you the above-mentioned tracks, plus the authentic versions of "Lazy Days" and "Pretty Polly" without the overdubs McGuinn added in the 90s.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  6. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

This is another 'real deal' for me!

keyse1 and starduster like this.
  7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Huh, I had no idea this existed. Video clips of Parsons are pretty rare. I'm going to post this over on the general Byrds thread.

8. Bootleghofner

Bootleghofner Forum Resident

Unfortunately, yes.......

9. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Yeah, those overpaid hacks in Nashville sure don't know how to record country music very well.

RandelPink likes this.
  10. Lightworker

Only video from this tour I've seen. Totally forgot that they had Doug Dillard on banjo at this point.

11. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

What is it circa 1968? It just doesn't sound very good. Sorry. Audible distortion in places (nearly all pedal steel tracks). Rolled off in most places. It sounds like what it is... an average 1968 recording. Sheesh.

Lightworker likes this.
  12. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Byrds sound great on this clip.
    The acoustics in the Roman Colosseum are great... !
    :)

ssmith3046 likes this.
  13. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Wow, and with Doug Dillard too! I have an old show called Something Else with the Burritos that has Gram and Bernie Leadon.

14. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I voted "Yes, but I can't stand it". I want to change my vote to, "Holy Cow, what the hell was I thinking? Its a classic!" That is all.

15. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Yes, but I'd love it even more if they did a RSD version restoring Gram's vocals. By luck, I have the UK mono which is not bad for a fold-down mix.

16. We need a SACD version...

Lightworker likes this.
  17. Lightworker

Jeepers...it sounds fine to me for the period. Did you ever engineer an analog studio recording pre-1980? I sure did.

ALAN SICHERMAN likes this.
  18. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

George Martin and company managed to produce great sounding recordings. I don’t see how my personal ability has any bearing on anything.

I think it sounds like ass. I don’t much care if that was the norm or not. Any engineer who can’t set input trim to avoid audible distortion doesn’t get any sort of free pass from me. Sorry if you find that problematic. Wait, no I’m not sorry.

19. I have the Columbia CD with a few extra tracks. It's an interesting album and part of the foundation to country rock. One Hundred Years From Now and You Ain't Going Nowhere are favorites and still have a bit of that old Byrds sound. Hickory Wind is also very nice.

ALAN SICHERMAN and Lightworker like this.
  20. Lightworker

Don't hold your breath. It's not a big album in Japan and they're the only ones who would bother now.
    The U.S. SACD of Fifth Dimension was cancelled before release...and that album had chart hits on it!

21. A6mzero

A6mzero One foot in the grave, one foot on the pedal

Does a 100 lbs of dough make a big biscuit!

22. sw61139

sw61139 Well-Known Member

I was so disappointed when The Byrds followed up that great string of albums with this limp country stuff. Just my 2¢ worth.

t-man 54, JFS3 and YardByrd like this.
  23. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY

The first song I really learned to play on the guitar was "Sweetheart Of The Rodeo". I always loved that song. The album changed the direction of music at the time (IMHO).

PhantomStranger likes this.
  24. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Yes, and I love it

25. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Yes, and I like it but I don't love it, but there's no option for that in this poll.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.