Is the iPod for me?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Beagle, Jan 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. posieflump

posieflump New Member

Naive question: are you allowed to safely use an iPod on an aeroplane? Or am I misinterpreting BWilli's statement?

Mart

2. Green Tea

Green Tea Sweet Soulful Sounds

Flew to Toronto and used the iPod there and back
    with no problems with the airline. :)

3. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

Like laptops, PCDPs, etc., you can only use electronic equipment when they say it's OK (usually 10 min into a flight or when the reach a certain altitude). Only things like 2 way pagers and cel phones cannot be used at all, and I was on one plane recently that asked you to disable wireless networking on laptops.

4. posieflump

posieflump New Member

Thanks - I'll have to look into that. I always assumed it was strictly forbidden these days. I'm an incredibly nervous flyer, and I think an episode or two of "Hancock's Half Hour" would aid me in my passage!

(Oh, and in answer to the original question, I have a 20GB Thomson PDP2860. It'll hold any computer file at all, so is a handy means of transporting large files, and will play .mp3 and .wma files. Not sure about .wavs - I'm content with 320kbps .mp3 files when on the move. As somebody said previously, it's perfect for slipping in my pocket or in the car where previously I'd have needed a glovebox full of cassettes or CDs. The battery lasts for hours [it sadly doesn't take alkaline batteries like some minidisc machines do]; it can recharge by drawing a power supply from my PC using the USB cable; is apparently Apple compatible; and best of all it happily plays segued files without the dreaded gap. On the down-side, the built-in search options could be more sophisticated; it connects to my stereo using that obscure stereo connector that is slighter smaller than a standard minijack; and it has a fairly severe headphone limiter that cannot be disabled; but I've lived happily with it for nearly a year with no major issues.)

Mart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.