Is The SANYO GXT-707 Good?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WB-Man, Mar 18, 2023.

Tags:
  1. WB-Man

WB-Man Member Thread Starter

Hello all! I've got an old Sanyo half record player half cassette unit that's been in storage for about 30-40 years, I'd like a professional opinion on it from those who've used it before. Thanks!

2. WB-Man

I'd also like if there's anything electrical that should be done, like changing electrolytic capacitors? I do know the cassette deck needs a new belt.. But is it worth it? I'd like to know.

3. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

I've never used one but having done a quick search on this, it looks like a typical cheapy midi unit from the 80s. I would imagine its performance to be pretty poor and I honestly wouldn't bother investing any time, effort or money on it. Sorry.

4. WB-Man

I've plugged it in and played a record, as the cartridge still seemed to work OK, needle looked nice and sharp, but the unit did look and sound pretty cheap.. My dad said that there's a record player that cost him more back in the day, but it takes a dual cartridge, and when he bought it, it didn't have one. I've been looking for replacement dual cartridges, and they're all up there in price. Maybe some folks on this forum know of some good budget cartridges?

5. WB-Man

And also, I've actually taken some of my record collection and ran them through the thing, digitizing, and I must say, it sounds worse than I expected, especially with treble all the way up. I figure it'll be an interesting experiment to hear the records played through finer equipment, although, as for the quality of said equipment however, I'll get more information soon and let you folks decide if the dual cartridge record player in question is, in fact of any significant value.

I've also looked inside of the GXT-707, and it's very, VERY empty.. Hardly any circuitry at all, just a bunch of electrolytic capacitors and chips it looks like.

6. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

I'm not sure it's a great idea to play your records on that kind of a machine, unless preserving them is not really a concern to you.

WB-Man likes this.
  7. WB-Man

Some records I have are quite rough, and have visible and audible scratches all over the grooves. The ones I found that were in good condition were put aside and NOT played on the machine, of course..

goldwax likes this.
  8. WB-Man

Should I start a new thread in the event that I find the "Dual" record player in question?

9. WB-Man

It's a Dual 510, made almost entirely in Germany!! :eek:

10. WB-Man

Best sound I've ever heard, absolutely..
    Yeah that Sanyo sucks..