Is there a bug in Lee Morgan's Candy ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michel Jazz, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Well out of tune pianos - that's a huge deal - screws with the actual music - I'd say half or more of vintage jazz live recordings had severely out of tune pianos - some of those suckers were so far out they sounded like they were intentionally "treated" pianos (a la avant garde music) - drives me nuts - but a background squeak, not so much.

2. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident Thread Starter

hmm, I rather thought they give the squeakin hi hat a few bars for having his own solo squeak.

3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Agreed and it's a lot easier to ignore a squeaky pedal than an out of tune piano.

4. dee

dee Senior Member

Yep, that one too drives me batty too First track too, iirc.. I guess that's the only one? Have to give it another listen. Been listening to too much all at once. Anyway, wonder why both were chosen (xrcd) for audiophile releases. Ok, because they are great sessions, true that, but...

5. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

It's there, too.

6. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I actually hear squeaking on other similar time period jazz albums (including Blue Notes) on Stax headphones, but none are as obvious as on Candy.

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Doesn't bother me in the least.

But I confess I have two drum sets and three hi-hat pedals. . . :)

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I never noticed the squeaking noise before on the XRCD but sure enough it is there on the first track Candy. When I first heard it I thought something was wrong with my system :eek:. But then I recalled reading posts here about noisy and squeaky instruments. When I did a search for Lee Morgan this thread popped up. Sure enough my fears of a system malfunction were put to rest as others have heard the same squeak. It is what I love about this forum :).

It really is amazing that when recording this album no one in the studio heard the squeak. But it doesn't ruin my enjoyment of a fine sounding recording :).

Bill

LEONPROFF likes this.
  9. cjg2

cjg2 Forum Resident

It bothered me until now--thanks for the explanation--now I don't mind it so much. May be a good reference for a playback system!

10. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Hope this is appropriate because it's not about the squeak but I was thinking of picking up the XRCD24 version of this from Amazon. Can anyone tell me if XRCD is worth the extra money? I try to get my hands on all things Lee Morgan.

11. JasonK

JasonK Active Member

That's funny. When I hear the squeaky Hi-Hat it makes me feel like I'm in the room. More realistic to my ears-different strokes I suppose.
    Reminds me of the Mockingbird that sings outside our window at 1 in the morning...lulls me right to sleep, but the neighbor wants to shoot it! All I can suggest is: "embrace the squeak"....

12. Mychkine

Mychkine Forum Resident

Same goes with Keith Richard's fuzz pedal on Satisfaction, you clearly hear the "click" when he turns it on; when I hear the song, I'm always waiting for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.