Is there an obscure band, musician, song that you love? Share with us. Post it on this thread..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 30, 2021.

1. Timothy Aborn

Timothy Aborn Forum Resident

"Medusa" is a good record.

2. VapourTrailUS

VapourTrailUS Internet “Person”

90's indie rock heros Silkworm "Tarnished Angel"

aseriesofsneaks likes this.
  3. VapourTrailUS

Some Sarah Records dream pop/shoegaze

Beamish13 and The Green Elf like this.
  4. VapourTrailUS

Very sweet call and response indie pop

Beamish13, Kelby A. Thomas and knb like this.
  5. Sandy Dee

Sandy Dee Forum Resident

Great album , a Kiwi colleague hipped me to this nearly 30 years ago . The 2013 cd re-issue included a previously unreleased second album called ‘ Misfits ‘ .

Ash76 likes this.
  6. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

There is a little bit written on this forum about Flash and the Pan (the project of ex-Easybeats Harry Vanda & George Young) but not enough IMHO. This was a fantastic band. Just listen to Vanda's guitar solo in this, one of the few Flash & the Pan songs that betrays the connection to AC/DC. "Hard Livin'":

sharedon likes this.
  7. kBear

kBear Forum Resident

8. Laura Allan.

[​IMG]

Rest in peace, beyond the top of the Stairway...

9. HairyWeimer

HairyWeimer I can resist anything but temptation.

The great Vincent Flatts Final Drive, local band to where I live..

10. SurferOne

SurferOne Well-Known Member

Harmonium

Harmonium is a Quebec band from the seventies. They released 3 excellent albums (Harmonium, Les cinq saisons and l'Heptade). Music style : prog-folk, folk rock, progressive rock. They didn't achieve international recognition as being a french speaking band. At the times they were highly popular in Quebec and Ontario and still in 2021. The album «Les cinq saisons» has been for years in the top 25 progressive albums chart (on 100 albums) of the best prog albums of all times according to evaluation over the years by the members of the Progarchives web site (among Yes, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Genesis, Pink Floyd, etc). I't's a band to discover and like if you are in with their music style. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed. See:

Progressive Rock Top Albums / all subgenres - 1 - all years - all countries

Also, you can listen to all 3 albums here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=harmonium+full+album

And the 17 minutes long song: Histoires Sans Paroles/"Stories Without Words" (1975)

Kelby A. Thomas likes this.
  11. Agerst1574

Agerst1574 Forum Resident

Jump Back Jake a now defunct band out of Brooklyn via Memphis. Too Cool For Love is such a great song.

12. unfunkterrible

unfunkterrible Forum Resident

Los Del Trasmuro, an obscure Spanish garage band from the late 80s, they released maybe another single, I'm not sure, and that was it, but this song En El Acantilado (On The Cliff) is way too cool:

13. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I personally love the UK Indie band Martha.
    Witty lyrics and high energy performances and many of their songs are simply wonderful.
    Their music always makes me feel better.
    If anyone who tells you all new music is rubbish, put a Martha album on and watch their jaws drop.
    Their debut, "Courting Strong" is one of the great debut albums, just my opinion, naturally.

14. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

I dig the Swedish band, Whale who are now, I think, obscure. I think they had a solid 2 albums in the mid-to-late 1990s and a batch of great B-sides.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  15. DutchDiederik

DutchDiederik Member

Hello everyone.

First post. Enjoy.

16. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

My favourite music is Breakbeat Hardcore, which was the main music in the British rave scene from around 1990-1994. I could recommend many tracks but I will go for this, a track called Kemistry as it’s part of a wonderful 4 track EP and shows how skilled the producers were with the primitive studio technology of the time.

Here’s a link to the record if anyone is interested.

Metal Heads* - Terminator

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  17. Mr. Pleasant

Mr. Pleasant Forum Resident

Unicorn. Easily one of the best bands from the 70's that I had never heard of until recently. I only stumbled across them because I noticed that the song "There's No Way Out of Here" from David Gilmour's first solo album wasn't written by him. Turns out the original "No Way Out of Here" was written by Ken Baker of Unicorn and released on their incredible 1976 album "Too Many Crooks" which just happened to be excellently produced by Gilmour himself. He also produced their prior and subsequent albums and both are also very good.

Gregg Allen likes this.
  18. John54

John54 Senior Member

Probably the best of the really-obscure-'60s-songs-I-actually-heard-in-the-'60s list -

The Fountain of Youth, Livin' Too Fast:

CliffL likes this.
  19. John54

John54 Senior Member

This is unlikely to become a Beatles thread, so let's try to make it a Margaret Mandolph thread ...

One of David Gates' superb '60s productions -

Margaret Mandolph, I Wanna Make You Happy:

20. simoncm

simoncm Forum Resident

If you like guitar instrumentals, check out The Crossfires' Limbo Rock on the US Strand label (1963). Ten of the 12 tracks are original compositions, and the standard's consistently high all the way through. These are the New England Crossfires - not to be confused with the California band who became The Turtles. Because of their success you could argue that they couldn't be called obscure - but their recordings (instrumental and vocal) as The Crossfires are, and are well worth hearing (try the Out of Control CD on Sundazed).

21. Kelby A. Thomas

Kelby A. Thomas Forum Resident

Completely unfamiliar b4 your post, but fantastic! Immediately thought of The Beths, but whereas the latter failed to hold my attention through the sophomore album (after a brilliant deubt), Allo Darlin' remains intriguing to me at a sustained level throughout the catalogue. I just bought s/t, Europe & Same Place on CD - you're due a commission!

VapourTrailUS likes this.
  22. TakeEmQuick

TakeEmQuick New Member

Waynes Schmidt of Vancouver, Canada has a number of quite good independant releases. I bought The Descendant Volume 1, and really like it. Sort of Indie-Americana. Most recent is a country album, well done. The Descendant (Volume One), by Wayne Schmidt Artist site: https://www.wayneschmidtmusic.com/

23. TakeEmQuick

TakeEmQuick New Member

Twin Bandist, soft ultra folk duo. Recently signed to Nettwerk

24. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

More and more, I can relate to the lyrics. And, i'm a sucker for a good sounding 12 string guitar, too.

25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Another by the same artist: