Is there an obscure band, musician, song that you love? Share with us. Post it on this thread..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 30, 2021.

1. wrappedinsky

wrappedinsky Forum Resident

I've found a lot to like from a guy named Peter Himmelman, son-in-law of Bob Dylan. I've acquired quite a few albums of his over the past year or so. Here's one of my favorites of his tunes, "Beneath the Damage and the Dust."

Gasman1003 likes this.
  2. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

I really love this guys music and bought everything he ever put out. Not many people really follow him but he deserves a lot more attention in my opinion.
    I think I am the only one commenting on most of his videos. I often dreamed of winning the lottery and releasing his stuff for him.
    Sounds nothing like what most people like here though, but maybe someone will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z7b7YwIrXc&list=PLEDXHTEt-nlK3D95FKesKtUAYCzI-ZIHm&index=3

the real pope ondine likes this.
  3. wrappedinsky

wrappedinsky Forum Resident

Great thread btw. Thanks to everyone for posting. I could easily spend the day listening to everyone's suggestions!

4. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Kelby A. Thomas likes this.
  5. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

Lubomyr Melnyk discovered this man and his music not long ago often called the "Prophet" of the piano has drawn comparisons to "Liszt" is known to be the fastest piano player both hands at 19 notes per second through a technique known as "continuous music" it's hypnotic, mesmerizing and beautiful all at the same time

6. White Vinyl

White Vinyl Well-Known Member

I saw the Redwalls supporting Oasis at a huge stadium show in Manchester around the time of the De Nova release and they were excellent. Like you, I thought they would get big, but for whatever reason they didn't. I always loved this song on that album, which I rediscovered recently:

kouzie likes this.
  7. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

The wonderful Jasmine Lucilla Elizabeth Jennifer van den Bogaerde, aka Birdy.

Released her first album aged 15 in 2011.

Recently released her fourth album, it's beautiful.

Birdy - "Nobody Knows Me Like You Do"

From her 2021 album, "Young Heart"

8. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

Obscure in the US

both tune and band

Eagle Rock - Daddy Cool

Steve62 likes this.
  9. sonicthesoundwave

sonicthesoundwave music is what maths does on a Saturday night

i'm always on the look out for new music.

which are the best artists/bands/singers for you which generally go unnoticed?

my first one would be 'the agnostic mountain gospel choir', dirty Canadian 'americana'

Steve62 likes this.
  10. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Shack - the second-best band out of Liverpool. Beautiful guitar pop.

11. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Shack’s singer and songwriter Michael Head, has done a couple of other albums - equally great. This one blends a bit more psychedelia with the folk-pop:

12. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

You’ve triggered my digging into my Shack songs. This one is close to perfect.

13. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I second the recommendation for Shack, they're great.

My answer to this question is always North Carolina's The Kingsbury Manx, wonderful melodic Meddle-esque rock.

14. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Lately I have been digging into a new hole. The band VOYAG3R started things off. Call it Spacerock, Experimental, Darkwave, Prog, Sci Fi, call it what you will, but I'm loving it. Other bands, Nightsatan, SURVIVE, Slasher Dave. Not sure it will be your cup of tea, but who knows.

15. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Never heard of these guys so I just watched a couple of clips on YouTube. Awesome! To my ears they sit in a sweet spot between Tom Waits and some dirty blues I can't pinpoint. The songs I heard could sit comfortably on Harry Smith's Anthology. Thanks for the tip.

sonicthesoundwave likes this.
  16. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Thanks - I really like that tune. The music does sound English - so different to the Agnostic Mountain Gospel Choir I was just listening to. All good though!

Phil Tate likes this.
  17. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

I know a few people who would like that song to be our (Australia's) national anthem. It has such a feel-good vibe.

18. Underground Zero -discovered via Hawkwind Friends and Relations CDs.

19. John54

John54 Senior Member

Been around for a while, still going strong so far as I know. This is lively, Beatlesque jangly-pop that certainly doesn't sound like the year it came out, 1993 (or thereabouts) -

Martin Newell, The Popular Girl:

20. zbarbera

zbarbera A stereo's a stereo. Art is forever!

New England was blessed with some great alternative acts in the 80s and 90s. One of my sleeper favorites is Miracle Legion.

This sound just instantly returns me to middle school/high school. From The Backyard EP (1984):

21. McKigney

McKigney Forum Resident

This song is tremendous. And I probably would've never heard this song, if it wasn't for your post. Thank you

22. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

skoorbnek likes this.
  23. Front Row

Front Row Finding pleasure when annoying those with OCD.

Lucretia Dalt has been getting many spins. Here is something more on the experimental side:

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  24. Front Row

Front Row Finding pleasure when annoying those with OCD.

Sound like Rush.

deeluxdx7 likes this.
  25. billiam

billiam Forum Resident

Cibo Matto. I know my chicken. Viva La Woman; Stereotype A.