Is there an obscure band, musician, song that you love? Share with us. Post it on this thread..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 30, 2021.

1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Here is a young woman who was a great discovery for BBC radio. She was hot for nine minutes or so, with an EP out. This is not on that EP.

For some reason that still mystifies me, this track never made it on there...and then has since been posted by a dozen other YouTube opportunists who delve into that sort of trippy, spacey pop.

She has since changed her name, and went more in an edgy, artsy direction, and I still think this is her most compelling work to date...and she never released it herself, except as this one track.

The road not taken. Just...wow.

This is not Kate Miller-Heidke the Australian artist. This is Kate Miller.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    CliffL likes this.
  2. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Blackstar (Instrumental) - Celldweller

3. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Van Dyke Parks' tune High Coin was recorded by at least a half a dozen bands I've come across between 1965 and 1970 or so. One of the earliest - possibly even the first -- was Bobby Vee in 1965. Harpers Bizarre recorded a wonderful, mix of sunshine pop and baroque rock version on their 1967 Anything Goes LP. That one owes much to The Beach Boys IMO in its vocal arrangement and is worth checking out even if the album is on the weak side...but my all time favorite version is by San Francisco's Charlatans, from their eponymous 1969 lp on Philips:

Here's the very differently arranged Harpers Bizarre version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdQ3f5TlM8g

Note the slight lyric differences.

CliffL, plentyofjamjars67 and Phafner like this.
  4. John54

John54 Senior Member

Superb production from Jerry Ragovoy here -

Debbie Rollins, Don't Let You Get It Girl:

Someone is equally good, slower, R & B crossed with doo wop.

This thread is going to fill up REAL fast! There are several like it already, focused on certain aspects, like decades ...

5. EdogawaRampo

Beast Communication from their eponymous 1970 lp (sometimes listed as Higher And Higher). You can find this for cheap. I've loved it for decades. Every press I've come across has GK (Gilbert Kong) in the deadwax.

Phafner likes this.
  6. EdogawaRampo

Bruce Johnston isn't exactly obscure, certainly not around here, but I believe I'm the only one that ever mentions his killer 1962 b-side Do The Surfer Stomp Part Two:

NudieSuitNezHead likes this.
  7. Rudi

Rudi Forum Resident

gfxmla and ATXadjacent like this.
  8. EdogawaRampo

Whatever happened to Arthur, Hurley and Gottlieb? A wonderful slice of early '70s hippie dream pop:

Tom34772 likes this.
  9. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Not necessarily obscure, but has played the club circuit for decades. I see him any chance I can.

10. EdogawaRampo

Johnny Fortune's Soul Surfer is a tasty slice of early sixties guitar. I love the whole album. Online bios say the 17-year-old wrote this signature tune in the back of the car on the way to the studio and that his 11-year-old brother was the drummer for LP sessions.

11. EdogawaRampo

More surf...I think, for me anyway, I rank The Ghoul's VooDooJuice (1964) as perhaps the second best surf instro ever, in the no. 2 slot behind Dick Dale and The Deltone's Miserlou:

The CD List Guy likes this.
  12. EdogawaRampo

Tony Orlando isn't exactly obscure, either, but it seems like the focus is on his Tony Orlando and Dawn era. This superlative bit of early sixties is my favorite record of his:

The CD List Guy and RSteven like this.
  13. EdogawaRampo

In 1964 Brian Poole and The Tremeloes did a great cover of the Tony Orlando tune I posted in #62:

14. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

My friend Robert is releasing an album in July. Here's the first single from it:

In the late '90s he was the leader of Cotton Mather, who put out the cult classic Kontiki, which both Noel and Liam of Oasis claimed to be one of their favorite albums ever (and if the biggest egos in rock say that something is better than themselves, it's got to be good). Cotton Mather fizzled out due to a lot of really, really unlucky coincidences (their third album was slated for release in September of 2001 but got pushed back because the label owner was also the attorney for the firefighters of New York City when the World Trade Center was hit... among other similarly unbelievable, but true, stories). He formed Future Clouds And Radar in 2004, released two albums, and revived Cotton Mather, which mostly went back on hiatus after the death of bassist George Reiff. He's been recording new songs since 2019, he's up to about 40 of them, and nine of them are coming on the album Watching The Kid Come Back due for release on July 23rd (Reiff's birthday, I believe).

He's also offered to let me do a mastering with full dynamic range, although I don't have all the files yet. I believe one of the songs he plans to remix.

15. recap200

recap200 Forum Resident

Ruth Moody...

Schmeig, Cold Trane and McKigney like this.
  16. warren

warren Forum Resident

My favorite Phoenix-based band is The Sunpunchers. Here's the song that got me into them.

Dublintown and siebrand like this.
  17. McKigney

McKigney Forum Resident

Dark and brooding mid-90s alternative rock from Ireland. I never hear any mention of this group. If the pummelling guitar and drum assault at 2:30 doesn't do anything for you, well.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  18. McKigney

McKigney Forum Resident

Intelligent, melodic, country singer/songwriter Darden Smith. His best song:

averica, Mandocello and Farmer Mike like this.
  19. Rob P S

Rob P S Senior Member

Matt Haeck - Tennessee

The CD List Guy likes this.
  20. Skydog7

Skydog7 Forum Resident

The Mother Hips from Chico, California. Incredible band, criminally underrated. Frontman Tim Bluhm is one of my all-time favorite singers and songwriters as is singer/lead guitarist Greg Loiacono.

Here’s my favorite song of theirs, from their 3rd album Shootout!

21. marty g

marty g Forum Resident

If you like bluegrass, this little ol' band of yore from the Bay Area known as Good Ol' Persons

siebrand likes this.
  22. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Declan O'Rourke - Big Bad Beautiful World

[​IMG]

Dublintown and Bobocryce like this.
  23. Spastica

Spastica Run aground on the floor for you....

Summer of 99 my local Rock station played this for a few weeks as if it was some huge hit. After that it was never played again. I assume one of the DJs stumbled upon it and liked it.

I liked it too. Bought the album...it sucked. Never heard anything from them again.

Big Bad Zero - Crumble

24. marty g

marty g Forum Resident

Ringside

and their songs such as: Struggle

25. DuctTapeTheory

DuctTapeTheory Forum Resident

This CD kept me going during the first half of the pandemic:

I don't know if this got much play anywhere, but Eric Deutsch put out this killer record in late 2018.

Exel88 likes this.