Is there an obscure band, musician, song that you love? Share with us. Post it on this thread..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 30, 2021.

1. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

https://www.twistedrecords.com/balcony

Here's something.

2. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Jim Rowland (RIP) 1963-2011

'Just Once'

3. Dok

Dok Senior Member

< "We don't care what state you come from, we don't care what state your mind is in"

Opening track from Barefoot Jerry's 1971 debut, 'Southern Delight'. The drummer Kenneth Buttrey played with a lot of people, including Elvis Presley, Dylan and on Neil Young's 'Harvest' and 'Tonight's the Night' just to name a few. That's him on the far right. On the left is Mac Gayden, the godfather of the wah-wah slide guitar who co wrote 'Everlasting Love'. Next to him is Wayne Moss who still owns the longest running independent recording studio in Nashville, Cinderella Sound. Dr. John Harris on keys is in between Wayne and Kenneth. Unfortunately both him and Kenneth have passed on.

4. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Fatal Flowers was a Dutch band that split just before international breakthrough. Their reunion tour was one of the last concerts I visited.

Beaker73 likes this.
  5. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

I guess this one is also obscure outside of the Netherlands. The band is called Johan and the song is from their album Pergola.

6. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I actually like their album before this better, but this seems more geared toward prevailing forum sensibilities.

The Like - I Can See it in Your Eyes

7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Spanish Prog band from the 70‘s

8. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

Donna The Buffalo - Forty Days & Forty Nights

linklinc1 and Farmer Mike like this.
  9. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I love Morning.

CliffL, plentyofjamjars67 and Phafner like this.
  10. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

BANG is an American rock band from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

The group was formed in 1969 by drummer Tony Diorio, bassist/singer Frank Ferrara, and guitarist Frank Gilcken. They released three albums on Capitol Records, scoring one hit single with "Questions", which reached #90 on the Billboard Hot 100.

I saw this band open for Alice Cooper in 1972 in Dallas. I remember well the guitarist dressed in a white tuxedo with tails coat.

I had their self titled album.

50th Anniversary

Bang (American band) - Wikipedia

11. I really admire Swedish songwriter David Myhr, who is outstanding with vocal melodies. Here's a 2021 example:

rydersdad and Tom34772 like this.
  12. Keam

Keam Isn't it funny how the rain gets in?

Wade Hemsworth - an underrated geniuse if there ever was one. Wild Goose is ine if my favourite songs. It gives me chills.

13. wellhamsrus

wellhamsrus Surrender to the sound

Tactics Buried Country from My Houdini, their early eighties Australian album, one of my favourites:

dlemaudit and Mylene like this.
  14. Dingo

Dingo Forum Resident

The Eastern Dark - fabulous band, career cut short by the tragic death of frontman, James Darroch in 1986.( Auto wreck on the ‘Killer Hume’)
    This track is the perfect intersection of post- punk meets The Who.
    Best Aussie guitar riff ever, with a feedback solo designed to clear rodents from the near area.
    No matter how loud you play this, it always needs to be louder still.

15. ThePoodleBites

ThePoodleBites Forum Blogger

16. ThePoodleBites

ThePoodleBites Forum Blogger

17. Lefty

Lefty Well-Known Member

Su Tissue co- vocalist for the wonderful Suburban Lawns recorded this amazing solo record then vanished.

Can't think of many albums I'd love a proper AAA reissue of more than this.

18. Dingo

Dingo Forum Resident

ASH were a rather excellent band known for solid live work around Melbourne circa 1970.
    ‘ BRIDGE OF AVIGNON’ was a wonderful slice of chamber pop with a video of the lads cavorting around the parks of Melbourne chasing the mystery girl ( was there any other kind back then?)
    This clip is a b&w mimed version featuring that track and another track, SABINE, showing off their progressive rock chops.
    The singer had a singular in-tune voice in marked contrast to the belters hammering the pubs and clubs of the era.

Bobocryce likes this.
  19. Zackster

Zackster Forum Resident

Paul Ubana Jones

Lefty likes this.
  20. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

What about Hangman
    Great song
    she also does incredible guitar on some Neil Young covers on YouTube
    I’ve seen her play a couple of times in Australia

Dublintown and LilacTeardrop like this.
  21. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

22. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

23. Combat Wombat

Combat Wombat Well-Known Member

Laura Kidd, A.K.A. Penfriend (previously known as She Makes War) is someone I have followed via social media, Bandcamp and Pledge Music for a few years now. Laura writes all her own songs, plays most of the instruments on her recordings, and now produces the recordings as well. She is not signed to a major label, so everything she releases is crowd funded. So talented, Laura deserves better exposure (although it is nice to amaze new friends with such remarkable undiscovered music). Laura has released her first album as Penfriend, called Exotic Monsters, along with this non-album cut as a single.

All of her 'She Makes War' releases are also worth checking out.

iainoco likes this.
  24. attfiecz

attfiecz Forum Resident

25. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

IMO Johnny Warman falls into this category perfectly. Among other things, he released a brace of albums circa 81/82 on Rocket Records featuring a stellar cast - Jerry Marotta, Tony Levin, John Giblin, Dave Lawson, Andy Clark, Chris Payne, Larry Fast, pg, Kiki Dee, having met him several times he seems quite humbled about the excellence of his music :) -

tonylevin'ssuitcase likes this.